Jump to content
HuskermanMike

What did we learn South Alabama?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, brophog said:

 

We didn’t do the basic things, like block. That’s easy to fix, and a lot of it is just beating your man. 

I wish I could be as confident that our OL will get fixed and regularly "just beat" their man.  They'll improve (easy to do) as the season progresses but how good will they be?

 

Share this post


Link to post

25 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I wish I could be as confident that our OL will get fixed and regularly "just beat" their man.  They'll improve (easy to do) as the season progresses but how good will they be?

 

The one thing that will not change dramatically over a course of a season is line play, both O and D, they generally are what they are. If we dont have road grades up front they are not going to magically turn into them, an effective passing attack/screen game is needed to put them in more advantageous 1:1 scenarios up front on run blocks and you hope the light goes on for 2 or 3 of them over the course of the season and we can get some run hits here and there. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

The one thing that will not change dramatically over a course of a season is line play, both O and D, they generally are what they are. If we dont have road grades up front they are not going to magically turn into them, an effective passing attack/screen game is needed to put them in more advantageous 1:1 scenarios up front on run blocks and you hope the light goes on for 2 or 3 of them over the course of the season and we can get some run hits here and there. 

 

You don’t need the biggest and baddest to run something like inside zone. That’s why everyone runs it. Technique and hustle is all that is required. But if you do it at walkthrough and not game speed it don’t work. 

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

So rewatching the game and getting a better feel of the story versus a string of plays.

 

1. AM brought a lot of the sacks/poor plays on himself and they were mostly in the second half. Farniok comes in and fixes the snap issues and the oline seems to give him his initial look and number two and he never pulls the trigger. This may be that nobody is open, but he gets his reads in before stepping up or scrambling and the play breaks down. AM also doesn’t seem to run with a sense of urgency.

 

2. The defense played great*. I don’t care about yards, the offense and special teams all but handed over most of the production USA got. 

 

*Dismuke gave up about half of USA passing yards on two throws. He also was targeted on three straight plays with two out of three being successful. I thought Dismuke had a bad day, but on further review, he is just not very good.

 

3. Wandale played well, but when he was in, he was the priority target for AM. AM forced it to him early and often whether he was open or not. 

 

4. The offense, except AM, looked better in the second half. AM holds the keys to the car though.

 

5. Lee also had a great day in run support and is the trusted one high safety. Would love to see more of him.

 

6. Cam is everywhere all the time and shouldn’t come off the field on defense.

 

7. I trash Lamar Jackson a lot, but he looked better in coverage and even filled the holes in the run game pretty well. 

 

8. Defense does need to learn how to rap up. Saw one of the Davis twins, Bootle, Barry, and Dismuke trying to shoulder charge someone with a big hit instead of making the clean play.

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, brophog said:

 

You don’t need the biggest and baddest to run something like inside zone. That’s why everyone runs it. Technique and hustle is all that is required. But if you do it at walkthrough and not game speed it don’t work. 

 

 

 

So, just to be clear. All our O line needs is hustle and technique. The time in the weight room is just for show. 

Share this post


Link to post

I wasn't going to read 25 pages of this thread so some or all of this might have been said but here is my take:

-Starting Jurgeons was dumb. He was not ready. I saw a stat that around 60% of his snaps were bad snaps. While watching the game live it seemed like 100% were bad. That completely derailed our offensive rhythm. Our offense is all about timing and the timing was off for all of those 60% of snaps. That doesn't equate to good things for the offense. 

-our Oline is a big concern. 

-Martinez wasn't going through his reads. On the interception he tried to force to washington with 3 defensive guys on him, mike williams was WIDE open on the sideline about 5 yards or so downfield. He just seemed off and it was like he decided where he was going to go before the play on every single play. Probably just nerves from all the hype from husker nation about the season. He will flip that script.

-Anyone who thinks the sky is falling or that martinez should get pulled because of game 1 of the year needs to lay off the hard stuff. We are 1-0 and if we take care of business at CU, NOBODY will be thinking about this game. 

-It seemed like SF only used like 5% of his playbook. It seemed like we didn't show/run anything. Normally I would think that it should have been no problem doing that and still get a W but it did not go as planned. Not sure if that was just to not put anything on tape from this year before CU or what but im sure that is going to change next week. 

-Our defense looked like a much more attacking defense than I have seen in a long time. I know our defense is going to give up yards/points, but seeing guys making some plays and attacking was good to see. They will get better and that bodes well. Our defense saved us on Saturday for sure. 

-Wandale and Cam Taylor were the bright spots of the game for me. I know wandale didn't get a ton of work but excited from what I saw. Looking forward to both of those dudes making some incredible plays this year. 

-Also, Garrett Nelson. Dude is an animal. Mad man in a good way. i can't wait to see him play in a year or two. 

-I am done. 

 

Here is to making progress next week. GBR!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, FTW said:

 

Etienne is probably gonna be the #1 back in the draft next year, lol. Look at the NFL, a lot of Riley players don't even play but you see a lot of Pelini guys.

 

Still think Frost has work to do and we're another 1-2 years away from really humming.

I agree about Etienne, but the way that play worked out, Washington definitely could've done the same, heck, even Mazour could've picked up 50. We really should steal it.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, SilkBleedsHuskers said:

-Starting Jurgeons was dumb. He was not ready. I saw a stat that around 60% of his snaps were bad snaps. While watching the game live it seemed like 100% were bad. That completely derailed our offensive rhythm. Our offense is all about timing and the timing was off for all of those 60% of snaps. That doesn't equate to good things for the offense. 

 

There is probably a reason he’s still going to start, and why we rushed him back to begin with....we moved the ball worse without him. Kinda scary.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, deedsker said:

So rewatching the game and getting a better feel of the story versus a string of plays.

 

1. AM brought a lot of the sacks/poor plays on himself and they were mostly in the second half. Farniok comes in and fixes the snap issues and the oline seems to give him his initial look and number two and he never pulls the trigger. This may be that nobody is open, but he gets his reads in before stepping up or scrambling and the play breaks down. AM also doesn’t seem to run with a sense of urgency.

 

2. The defense played great*. I don’t care about yards, the offense and special teams all but handed over most of the production USA got. 

 

*Dismuke gave up about half of USA passing yards on two throws. He also was targeted on three straight plays with two out of three being successful. I thought Dismuke had a bad day, but on further review, he is just not very good.

 

3. Wandale played well, but when he was in, he was the priority target for AM. AM forced it to him early and often whether he was open or not. 

 

4. The offense, except AM, looked better in the second half. AM holds the keys to the car though.

 

5. Lee also had a great day in run support and is the trusted one high safety. Would love to see more of him.

 

6. Cam is everywhere all the time and shouldn’t come off the field on defense.

 

7. I trash Lamar Jackson a lot, but he looked better in coverage and even filled the holes in the run game pretty well. 

 

8. Defense does need to learn how to rap up. Saw one of the Davis twins, Bootle, Barry, and Dismuke trying to shoulder charge someone with a big hit instead of making the clean play.

When he lit up the qb and forced the fumble that was the best hit I've ever seen him make.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, deedsker said:

2. The defense played great*. I don’t care about yards, the offense and special teams all but handed over most of the production USA got. 

 

They scored a TD in 3 out of 4 trips to the red zone (Cam’s INT). Were they a team that could go 80 yards the way we were playing? Not really. But job one is limiting the damage in the red zone. Only two games last year did we give up TDs at an equal or higher rate.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, brophog said:

 

They scored a TD in 3 out of 4 trips to the red zone (Cam’s INT). Were they a team that could go 80 yards the way we were playing? Not really. But job one is limiting the damage in the red zone. Only two games last year did we give up TDs at an equal or higher rate.

Lamar Jackson’s strip sack was “just outside” the red zone, so that thwarted a scoring opportunity created when the offense failed to convert a 4th down near midfield.

 

Also, the officials missed an illegal pick play on the TD which made the score 28-14. The slot receiver put a block on the CB, but was past the LOS and the outside receiver caught the ball 2 yards downfield. I know pick plays happen all the time, but the officials missed that one.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Lamar Jackson’s strip sack was “just outside” the red zone, so that thwarted a scoring opportunity created when the offense failed to convert a 4th down near midfield.

 

Also, the officials missed an illegal pick play on the TD which made the score 28-14. The slot receiver put a block on the CB, but was past the LOS and the outside receiver caught the ball 2 yards downfield. I know pick plays happen all the time, but the officials missed that one.

To call it a pick is a misstatement. The guy went and extended his arms and blocked the corner. A pick, you keep your hands in and you rub the defender with your body creating space.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...