What did we learn South Alabama?

After watching my dvr of the game, my biggest take is (in this game at least), we need MO in our backfield. There is no words to describe how our guys performed as a group. Timing was thrown off for sure on snaps, but lackluster effort can’t be explained by anyone, other then the players themselves. We won ugly, but we won. Let’s get it figured out before this week at CU.

Side note: Is there plans to revert back to the way it was before on page numbers? The NEW way, is less than desirable. Sorry!

8 hours ago, brophog said:

They scored a TD in 3 out of 4 trips to the red zone (Cam’s INT). Were they a team that could go 80 yards the way we were playing? Not really. But job one is limiting the damage in the red zone. Only two games last year did we give up TDs at an equal or higher rate.

I agree that this was concerning to me. They did great stopping long drives against a subpar opponent which is great, but they need to hold teams to FGs more often. The pick play on Bootle should have been a penalty, but that's how it goes. On the 3rd TD why the heck is Barry covering a tight end? They either caught us in a bad defensive call or we need to change that. Of all our LBs I don't think Barry should be in man on man coverage if at all possible. He's an awesome player, that's just not his strong suit.

37 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I agree that this was concerning to me. They did great stopping long drives against a subpar opponent which is great, but they need to hold teams to FGs more often. The pick play on Bootle should have been a penalty, but that's how it goes. On the 3rd TD why the heck is Barry covering a tight end? They either caught us in a bad defensive call or we need to change that. Of all our LBs I don't think Barry should be in man on man coverage if at all possible. He's an awesome player, that's just not his strong suit.

Too be fair the defense was on the field way too much on two of those touchdowns. One was a muffed punt which put them in an unfair position and 2nd was after AM’s interception, both with in a short amount of time of each other. Rewatching both scoring plays, we were so close to stopping them if the pressure gets there a second sooner. 

17 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Too be fair the defense was on the field way too much on two of those touchdowns. One was a muffed punt which put them in an unfair position and 2nd was after AM’s interception, both with in a short amount of time of each other. Rewatching both scoring plays, we were so close to stopping them if the pressure gets there a second sooner. 

And the muff came after a defensive TD and a punt return if I'm not mistaken. The defense had been on the field 3 drives straight essentially then they were asked to defend a short field. Not an easy task

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

And the muff came after a defensive TD and a punt return if I'm not mistaken. The defense had been on the field 3 drives straight essentially then they were asked to defend a short field. Not an easy task

I loved the production from the defense during this stretch scoring twice.  However, (not making excuses for the offense) but, I wondered if this added to whatever caused the funk the offense was in.  

There was a long time where the offense really wasn't on the field doing anything when you consider half time too.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I loved the production from the defense during this stretch scoring twice.  However, (not making excuses for the offense) but, I wondered if this added to whatever caused the funk the offense was in.  

There was a long time where the offense really wasn't on the field doing anything when you consider half time too.

It certainly didn't help things. Offense had 17 plays in the second half. Now part of that is their fault not extending drives, but its tough to make something happen on such few opportunities and having zero rhythm. That also contributed to the yardage differential in the second half. They just played more offense. 

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The play on Bootle wasn't a pick, it's a screen. If the pass is behind the line of scrimmage they can block before/while it's caught. He clearly expected Sullivan to switch once he was blocked, you can't just watch your receiver block the other DB - either needed to switch onto Bootles man or do a better job warning him of the impending block. 

The other TD was a good play call, I think Barry was actually in zone but was the only guy close. He not great in coverage man or zone, and that play looked to target our ILBs specifically. Hard to call defense without ILBs having some coverage responsibility though. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The play on Bootle wasn't a pick, it's a screen. If the pass is behind the line of scrimmage they can block before/while it's caught. He clearly expected Sullivan to switch once he was blocked, you can't just watch your receiver block the other DB - either needed to switch onto Bootles man or do a better job warning him of the impending block. 

The other TD was a good play call, I think Barry was actually in zone but was the only guy close. He not great in coverage man or zone, and that play looked to target our ILBs specifically. Hard to call defense without ILBs having some coverage responsibility though. 

However, the pass was caught 1-2 yards in front of the LOS.  You are correct that it's a legal play if the pass is caught behind the LOS.  Based on where the pass was caught, the referees missed the penalty.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

However, the pass was caught 1-2 yards in front of the LOS.  You are correct that it's a legal play if the pass is caught behind the LOS.  Based on where the pass was caught, the referees missed the penalty.

Ah, gotcha. Didn't re-watch it to look at that - is it not under the RPO rules where they can block 3 yards down field though as well? I hate that, at most it should be 1 yard like the NFL. That may only apply to the interior blockers as well though. 

44 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

26 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I completely agree, the defense was in a tough position much of the second half and played most of the half. I think they could very well hold teams better moving forward, but of their performance on Saturday the most concerning part was the defense not holding them in the red zone. Doesn't mean they won't this year or can't that was just the one cause for concern for me.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Ah, gotcha. Didn't re-watch it to look at that - is it not under the RPO rules where they can block 3 yards down field though as well? I hate that, at most it should be 1 yard like the NFL. That may only apply to the interior blockers as well though. 

I believe you have to be engaged with the blocker at the LOS and then you can drive them up to 3 yards downfield. You can't engage contact downfield. I could be wrong on that though.

2 hours ago, TAKODA said:

After watching my dvr of the game, my biggest take is (in this game at least), we need MO in our backfield.

This is why four months ago I was pretty much positive there wouldn't even be a whiff of a West title if his legal issues kept him off the field. 

Mills has a ton of ground to make up. I'm just not sure what his deal was but as others have said, he struggled to try to move laterally; he just kind of ran into whoever was in front of him.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Based on where the pass was caught, the referees missed the penalty.

I agree, dude. I was pissed at that one.

Just now, Husker in WI said:

The RPO rules are mainly regarding illegal man downfield.  Interior linemen can be downfield if the pass is behind the LOS.  But, they tend to try to bend those rules as much as they can.

Receivers can also block downfield if the pass is behind the LOS.  While the TD against Nebraska was borderline, it was past the LOS.

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I completely agree, the defense was in a tough position much of the second half and played most of the half. I think they could very well hold teams better moving forward, but of their performance on Saturday the most concerning part was the defense not holding them in the red zone. Doesn't mean they won't this year or can't that was just the one cause for concern for me.

I agree, that one in particular though I can give them a pass on in my view. Short field after being on the field for awhile and then they score on a barely legal play. The redzone D is something to keep an eye on going forward though

• Plus1 1