What did we learn South Alabama?

Little late to this thread so I apologize for re-hashing things but:

The Defense has picked up some creativity. Still some weak spots and wide open players but they seem to have guys who can run around and make some plays. 

Being able to have an anchor inside like Daniels should allow for creative pass rush/ fill different gaps. I liked how they seemed to pick good spots to blitz from a different space to create confusion. 

That hit by Cam Taylor was OUTSTANDING!

Offense never got in sync. Martinez looked lost or like he was over thinking. Stared a few guys down. Didnt seem comfortable making plays with his legs to open other things up.

I think we came in with a luke warm playbook. They will open things up I assume but it all starts with the OL. They need to get a better push. They need to be better.

Overall it was a disappointing game but honestly it felt like 1st game jitters. 

I am nervous about Colorado but I think the team showed enough flashes that this should serve as a wakeup call. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The RPO rules are mainly regarding illegal man downfield.  Interior linemen can be downfield if the pass is behind the LOS.  But, they tend to try to bend those rules as much as they can.

Which probably is one reason why we don't see as much of a push from the line as some would like to see.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:32 AM, Undone said:

Not wanting to be overly critical of your take here but it's a bit funny because last year a lot of fans complained that we didn't have a big body in at nose tackle. Speed isn't usually a quality that you demand of a big nose tackle in a 3-4.   :)

You aren't being overly critical. He looks slow off the ball, I'll put it that way. 

On 9/2/2019 at 1:57 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I give them credit by scheduling tough non-conference games, but Clemson also benefits from only having 8 conference games per season, and it’s a conference that is lacking other programs which can compete with Clemson right now. 

No offense, and not to be c$%ky...but we won our playoff game by 27 & the national title game by 28...Dabo has a freight train rolling right now. The nation is lacking other programs that can compete with us.

Bama can practically say the same. They rolled through the SEC last year with no problems. 

2 hours ago, killer cacti said:

No offense, and not to be c$%ky...but we won our playoff game by 27 & the national title game by 28...Dabo has a freight train rolling right now. The nation is lacking other programs that can compete with us.

Bama can practically say the same. They rolled through the SEC last year with no problems. 

Pride before a fall, and all that...

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, ZRod said:

Pride before a fall, and all that...

Oh, we’re gonna fall one day. I’m not dumb enough to think what’s happening right now is gonna last forever. But at the moment...

Clemson played C+ football today and still beat A&M by 14, A&M scored their 1 TD with 6 seconds left and Clemson had some backups in. Think about this, Lawrence is a great QB, but the 3 starting WRs are 6’4” with great hands who can bail him out if he makes a poor decision...to go along with one of the best RBs in the nation.

Unless there’s a lapse of focus between Clemson or Alabama, they’ll probably both be in the national title game this year...again. And honestly, I don’t like our chances against them with revenge on their mind.

3 minutes ago, SFW said:

I wish Clemson played in a real conference.  Now that would be fun.

Back in NU's heyday I've heard the Big 8 was called the Big 2 plus cupcakes.  So I wouldn't call for the current top teams to play in a "real" conference. They're all real, some just more than others.

1 hour ago, GamingGlen said:

Back in NU's heyday I've heard the Big 8 was called the Big 2 plus cupcakes.  So I wouldn't call for the current top teams to play in a "real" conference. They're all real, some just more than others.

Meh, in the 90s you had a lot of Big 8 teams ranked in the top 25 and OU was down.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, SFW said:

I wish Clemson played in a real conference.  Now that would be fun.

I wish Nebraska would play in a conference that could actually score a point in the playoffs.

The conference talk is BS. Clemson can’t control the quality of the teams in their conference. How is it Clemson’s fault that FSU is terrible just 6 years after winning a national title? or that Miami hasn’t held up its end of the bargain since joining? Since 2008, Clemson has played a P5 team each year including Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Texas A&M, TCU...and that’s on top of playing SC every year as well. So, you’re looking at 10 P5 opponents per year. What more do you want? 

3 hours ago, killer cacti said:

Oh, we’re gonna fall one day. I’m not dumb enough to think what’s happening right now is gonna last forever. But at the moment...

Clemson played C+ football today and still beat A&M by 14, A&M scored their 1 TD with 6 seconds left and Clemson had some backups in. Think about this, Lawrence is a great QB, but the 3 starting WRs are 6’4” with great hands who can bail him out if he makes a poor decision...to go along with one of the best RBs in the nation.

I long for a situation like this and we're not there yet. Nebraska needed a B+ type of game to beat Colorado and couldn't get it. Hope we can get to a point where a handful of mistakes will not derail things like they did yesterday.

15 hours ago, killer cacti said:

Now, you have been on this board a long time and have often been a quality contributor. But when you come on our board after a tough loss, knowing that we are hurting, and make a post like this...it doesn't come off as c$%ky...it just makes you sound like an a$$hole. You're better than that.

• Plus1 1