Wan'dale Robinson

This is not going to hurt as much as everyone thinks. Nice kid, would rather have him here then not, but it’s ok too. He would have benefited from his having a bruising RB and some legit downfield threat- but who wouldn’t. 

my point- he was/will never be THE GUY. He’s just guy 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

This is not going to hurt as much as everyone thinks. Nice kid, would rather have him here then not, but it’s ok too. He would have benefited from his having a bruising RB and some legit downfield threat- but who wouldn’t. 

He might never be “the guy” but if we get Stepp, another WR + Tamore he would’ve been allowed to play more one on one matchups instead of the entire defense keying on him because he’s the only player with enough talent and experience to scare them. 

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I agree with the first part, not the second. Wan'Dale is a baller, and was a clear leader on the team. But our offense had a ton of problems outside of the Duck-R position, and I think even small improvements in other places could outweigh the significant drop off at one position. We are not better without Wan'Dale. But we should be better on offense this year than last, and people will try to spin that. Overall I think the offense takes a step forward - it just could have taken a bigger step with Wan'Dale still here.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Wandale weighs about 20lbs more than Devonta Smith. FWIW. 

And ESPN lists Wandale at 5'10". I did not compare the two receiver, I was responding to the comment we should only pursue WRs who are 6'0" or taller and 200lb+ frames. 

wandale is 5'9'' 175 pounds. He is small. Smith is biggeer, faster, better, much larger catch radius and I can keep going on. We need bigger bodied WRs, and they are recruiting them, that have a bigger catch radius, with good speed, that can win the catches down the field. 

You have already seen the results of the dink and dunk passes to a shiffty short WR does for the win column. It doesn't win you games. 

• Plus1 3

Question, I will admit I have wondered this for awhile but how does Wandales game transfer to the NFL level? I believe he is a very good FBS level player obviously but does his game translate? Honest question because whether that is our teams inability to field a competent offense or the lack of top end speed I am not sure I see him as this surefire  NFL player he appears to make himself out to be. 

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Question, I will admit I have wondered this for awhile but how does Wandales game transfer to the NFL level? I believe he is a very good FBS level player obviously but does his game translate? Honest question because whether that is our teams inability to field a competent offense or the lack of top end speed I am not sure I see him as this surefire  NFL player he appears to make himself out to be. 

Based on his comments about routes and stuff, that's the question he's hoping to answer for teams elsewhere. That feels like it may be a bit of a cop out on his part, but probably hoping to show exactly what he hopes to be in the NFL. I think he'll be a good slot in the NFL, top end speed isn't critical there. I really can't judge things like route running though.

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Based on his comments about routes and stuff, that's the question he's hoping to answer for teams elsewhere. That feels like it may be a bit of a cop out on his part, but probably hoping to show exactly what he hopes to be in the NFL. I think he'll be a good slot in the NFL, top end speed isn't critical there. I really can't judge things like route running though.

is he going to answer that at Kentucky though? I hope he ends up somewhere with a solidified QB who can sling it. Gosh just seems like something a player could discuss with his HC and OC. Really wondering what the conversation was between them. 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

is he going to answer that at Kentucky though? I hope he ends up somewhere with a solidified QB who can sling it. Gosh just seems like something a player could discuss with his HC and OC. Really wondering what the conversation was between them. 

I dunno, someone aid they hired a new pro-style OC. Also not sure Kentucky is his move, that's just the assumption because it's the closest to home and he was committed there. But there are places closer than us for sure. And I would pay to be a fly on the wall there - I can't for the life of me wrap my head around his comments like "I loved my touches and how I got them" but wanting them different. My guess (no inside info) is that's from his family/trainer, and is just another reason for him to feel better about justifying leaving. But very curious what Frost/Lubick's balance of agreeing to play to a players strengths versus saying do what's best for the team was.

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I would agree with this. THE GUY is going to have a better physical presence that you cant guard and can get him the ball. Wandale is a great complementary player. He wasnt allowed to shine because we didnt the THE GUY to draw attention.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
39 minutes ago, uberism said:

wandale is 5'9'' 175 pounds. He is small. Smith is biggeer, faster, better, much larger catch radius and I can keep going on. We need bigger bodied WRs, and they are recruiting them, that have a bigger catch radius, with good speed, that can win the catches down the field. 

You have already seen the results of the dink and dunk passes to a shiffty short WR does for the win column. It doesn't win you games. 

I mean, you need both. The best receiving corps have a mix of sizes and speeds to handle different responsibilities. 

30 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I remember how excited I was two years ago watching Martinez, Washington, JD and Wand ale and thinking wait until these guys get another year of development.  Sometimes being a Nebraska fan sucks!  

I know Washington was a total knucklehead, and he deserved to be kick off from the team, but man, I really enjoyed watching him on the field.  His game at CU in 2019 was amazing, and showcased his natural talent and ability.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

My point: while he may be just guy, he was our best just guy. 

Our best guy in our coach's third year, who had the offense built around him despite being just guy. 

It doesn't hurt to lose him as much as it hurts that he was our best guy. And he wanted to leave.

If the players we have couldn't outplay Wan'dale this season, I'm not sure why they would next season. But who knows. It's a vacuum. Someone will step up. I think.

I just don't like s#!tting on players in order to pretend there's not a player development problem here. Recruits who have other choices are that much more likely to avoid Nebraska. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Decked said:

He might never be “the guy” but if we get Stepp, another WR + Tamore he would’ve been allowed to play more one on one matchups instead of the entire defense keying on him because he’s the only player with enough talent and experience to scare them. 

Maybe just bad timing then. Wandale has to make best use of his four years and not wait for the Frost project to start rolling. 

Here we go again...same as when JD left: "JD leaving won't be a big deal!" Same as when Mo Washington left: "We have Mills!"

This is a huge loss for the team.

Then on to the "If we can just get _______ or ________ on board!" (same as the hope for Omar Manning that never panned out).

Anyway, my main take on Wan'Dale leaving is that when a kid who believes he can play in the NFL isn't being showcased the right way, it's in his own best interest to just go somewhere else. It just is, and if you had the potential opportunity to become a millionaire with an NFL contract someday you'd probably do the same.

I know I would. Best of luck to Wan'Dale.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Wan'dale Robinson