Wan'dale Robinson

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My point: while he may be just guy, he was our best just guy. 

Our best guy in our coach's third year, who had the offense built around him despite being just guy. 

It doesn't hurt to lose him as much as it hurts that he was our best guy. And he wanted to leave.

If the players we have couldn't outplay Wan'dale this season, I'm not sure why they would next season. But who knows. It's a vacuum. Someone will step up. I think.

I just don't like s#!tting on players in order to pretend there's not a player development problem here. Recruits who have other choices are that much more likely to avoid Nebraska. 

IMO, I think your take is pretty realistic.  There is a "happy medium".  Seems like people (not all) take things to extremes.

Yes, it will hurt tremendously to not have WR.  The fact that our best offensive weapon left for various reasons is still not a 'good look' from the outside.

No, it isn't the end of the world.  Can he be replaced, yes.  Is he the once in a generation player, NO.  Will SF be fired because a kid wants to go home, NO. Will others step up, yes.

He may or may not be NFL caliber.  He may or may not be a stud somewhere else.  He was our stud, but considering we were bad, how much does that really say? We will find other guys to play.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

My problem with this is not Wan'dale.  My problem is our current situation and our current system.  Something is obviously off with the O side of the ball.  People seem to be dropping like flies on that side of our team.

I hope Wan'dale finds what he is looking for.

Feels like more of the unplanned departures have been on the defensive side to be honest. Who has left on O other than Wan'Dale (good reason) and Fleming (bad fit here)? I'm probably missing people, and losing Wan'Dale is a gut punch regardless of whether you think it's just family or he had other issues with the offense. But I wouldn't call it droppoing like flies - most of the FL kids were on defense. Boe Wilson I suspect was encouraged to look elsewhere, guess I had forgotten about him.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Feels like more of the unplanned departures have been on the defensive side to be honest. Who has left on O other than Wan'Dale (good reason) and Fleming (bad fit here)? I'm probably missing people, and losing Wan'Dale is a gut punch regardless of whether you think it's just family or he had other issues with the offense. But I wouldn't call it droppoing like flies - most of the FL kids were on defense. Boe Wilson I suspect was encouraged to look elsewhere, guess I had forgotten about him.

I am talking about rumored to leave.  That is why I used the word seem.  I understand that could change.  Remember our HC is an offensive guy.  This is also why I am more concerned.  We suck on O and our best weapon just left.

Just now, Crusader Husker said:

I am talking about rumored to leave.  That is why I used the word seem.  I understand that could change.  Remember our HC is an offensive guy.  This is also why I am more concerned.  We suck on O and our best weapon just left.

Fair enough, I just haven't heard any concrete rumors. I know McCaffrey has been thrown around, but 1) haven't heard concrete, and 2) we won't force him off QB, that was agreed during his recruitment. But Frost could have a conversation saying sticking with QB is detrimental to the team as a whole, and if he wanted to play QB elsewhere that would be understandable. I get my info here so I'm among the last to know, but are there rumored offensive departures outside of LMC? Which does still seem like a rumor, not a sure thing. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My point: while he may be just guy, he was our best just guy. 

Our best guy in our coach's third year, who had the offense built around him despite being just guy. 

It doesn't hurt to lose him as much as it hurts that he was our best guy. And he wanted to leave.

If the players we have couldn't outplay Wan'dale this season, I'm not sure why they would next season. But who knows. It's a vacuum. Someone will step up. I think.

I just don't like s#!tting on players in order to pretend there's not a player development problem here. Recruits who have other choices are that much more likely to avoid Nebraska. 

I think it's a bit premature to be claiming player development issues.  Even at year 3 the upperclassmen are either Mike Riley recruits or transfers.

In year 3, Mike Riley lost his last 3 games by approximately 100 points.

I mean Frost has brought in offensive linemen who probably aren't truly ready.....yet they are better than the upperclassmen.

And yes, ultimately it's Frost's responsibility.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I thought I heard Betts name tossed around.  Warner, although most may not care.  Manning seems to always be up in the air.

Manning seems to be up in the air, but he actually reported to campus early after break.  Hopefully to get started.  Betts has issues that need addressed.  Grades may always be an issue for him, as if it weren't for the covid waiver, I highly doubt he would have qualified.  Who knows about Warner.  I speculated due to his dad's tweet about Campbell and had heard from a different source this may happen, but nothing concrete.

21 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

i get the feeling Frost is losing his magic??

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think it's a bit premature to be claiming player development issues.  Even at year 3 the upperclassmen are either Mike Riley recruits or transfers.

I mean Frost has brought in offensive linemen who probably aren't truly ready.....yet they are better than the upperclassmen.

happy to beat that stat?  wow, how far we have fallen.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think we can no longer suggest Riley's fingerprints on the program. Yes he left the cupboard bare for Frost and staff. Since then, Frost has overturned the roster and now this is fully his team. 

Player development is a legitimate gripe. Situationally, the staff has not done a very good job of working new players in at the skill positions and, when they have, it's been inconsistent. Too much pressure to feed WR his touches and it took away from the offense. It's why Fleming left after a solid game for us against Northwestern. Betts with a nice run against Penn State largely went silent after. Limited use of Scott, Johnson & Thompkins when Mills was injured. Sucks to lose a good player like Robinson but may end up being a blessing for the program's development of other players and give us a more well-rounded offense.

Defensively, this is a non-issue as they have done a good job with development and Greg Austin has been trying to do so with the offensive line with mixed results so far. Skill positions are the ones the staff must develop this spring.

2 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i get the feeling Frost is losing his magic??

I think he doesn't know how to dig himself out of the hole he is in.  He needs to take a long look at what is working and what is not.  Nebraska is a fish bowl.  That makes it hard.  As fans we worship our heroes way more than we should.  We are also comple A-holes to our own players as well.  I am also guilty of that I know.  I think he needs to reach out to a guru that he can bounce stuff off of and allow the person to be critical to what he is doing wrong.  Then he needs to listen. 

I think he came in and thought everything would magically change.  It didn't.  The B1G is competitive and everyone has the same resources that we do.  I think top to bottom we are better than any conference.  Even the SEC.  It is hard.  You need to build a solid foundation and build.  If I knew we were doing that I would feel better.  Soemtimes you need to move back to move forward.  I don't get that feeling, but hopefully I am wrong.  The best plan is for Frost to turn it around for many reasons.  I hope he does.

3 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Wan'dale the recruit:  They want to utilize me like De'Anthony Thomas

Wan'dale the player year 1:  Returning punts and kicks is too much wear and tear

Wan'dale the player year 2:  Taking snaps at RB is not going to prepare me for NFL

This one is definitely on Frost

In part, yes. Also, an inflated sense of self with regards to Robinson's influencers (Dad & trainer). If you're that small, you must be quick enough to outrun most (or all) of a defense when in space or you must be powerful/tough enough to overpower edge tacklers. When you're neither, you're a slot receiver that has to be an incredibly good route runner with a QB who can find you in space. 

• Mavric changed the title to Wan'dale Robinson