Wan'dale Robinson

22 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I think he doesn't know how to dig himself out of the hole he is in.  He needs to take a long look at what is working and what is not.  Nebraska is a fish bowl.  That makes it hard.  As fans we worship our heroes way more than we should.  We are also comple A-holes to our own players as well.  I am also guilty of that I know.  I think he needs to reach out to a guru that he can bounce stuff off of and allow the person to be critical to what he is doing wrong.  Then he needs to listen. 

I think he came in and thought everything would magically change.  It didn't.  The B1G is competitive and everyone has the same resources that we do.  I think top to bottom we are better than any conference.  Even the SEC.  It is hard.  You need to build a solid foundation and build.  If I knew we were doing that I would feel better.  Soemtimes you need to move back to move forward.  I don't get that feeling, but hopefully I am wrong.  The best plan is for Frost to turn it around for many reasons.  I hope he does.

When I read posts like this that suggest Frost needs to reach out to a "guru" I shake my head and realize this is the internet.

Who on god's green earth do you think helped hire him?

And I think most everyone knows that Frost and Tomlin talk regularly.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TheSker said:

When I read posts like this that suggest Frost needs to reach out to a "guru" I shake my head and realize this is the internet.

This made me think about the odd connection between us and the Steeler's lack of a running game...

40 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think it's a bit premature to be claiming player development issues.  Even at year 3 the upperclassmen are either Mike Riley recruits or transfers.

In year 3, Mike Riley lost his last 3 games by approximately 100 points.

I mean Frost has brought in offensive linemen who probably aren't truly ready.....yet they are better than the upperclassmen.

And yes, ultimately it's Frost's responsibility.

At year three they are a roster full of Frost recruits presumed to be better than Riley's leftovers. The transfers would all be chosen by Frost for immediate impact.

Offense looks to be the bigger issue. Greg Bell left in a snit. Washington had character issues. Adrian Martinez has devolved from Heisman hopeful to constant QB controversy. JD Speilman had two years with Frost and was about to become the most prolific receiver in Nebraska history when he left. Frost apparently had no receiver or running back on the roster as good as Wan'dale Robinson, and now won't have him for his senior season. Cam Jurgens has two years running of high snaps that are huge liabilities and remain uncorrected. We have a whole thread of exciting Frost recruiting successes than never or rarely made the field. After three years, the Mike Riley's Bare Cupboard excuse loses a lot of steam.

Can you name a Nebraska running back you're excited to see next year? I can't. First time in 50 years I can say that. 

Nice thing about reduced expectations is that I'm really, really open to being surprised next year. 

• Plus1 1

55 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Then things aren't changing.  That is good to know.

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Then on to the "If we can just get _______ or ________ on board!" (same as the hope for Omar Manning that never panned out).

Omar was supposed to be more the replacement for Stanley Morgan that we still haven't found.

This isn't directed at you so much, but I feel like some kinda think of the different WR positions as being much more interchangeable than they are. Like they think that the 6'5" guy with high top-end speed for deep balls is the only type that matters.

One thing I think people forget is that Wandale and Spielman were both most naturally slot receiver types. That may well have factored into JD leaving.

Of course, right now the number of proven playmakers we have at the X, Y, and Z WR spots is basically zero...

36 minutes ago, Toe said:

Omar was supposed to be more the replacement for Stanley Morgan that we still haven't found.

This isn't directed at you so much, but I feel like some kinda think of the different WR positions as being much more interchangeable than they are. Like they think that the 6'5" guy with high top-end speed for deep balls is the only type that matters.

One thing I think people forget is that Wandale and Spielman were both most naturally slot receiver types. That may well have factored into JD leaving.

Of course, right now the number of proven playmakers we have at the X, Y, and Z WR spots is basically zero...

You make a good point with WR and JD being natural slot receivers. There is something to wanting those big 6'2"+ receivers though as those big body receivers help us in many ways. First, blocking -- their body size alone gives them an advantage against the smaller receivers we've had on the edges lately. (Yes, effort and willingness to block are more important but the sheer size helps). Next, they are bigger targets for a QB to look for downfield. Lastly, the bigger size naturally draws more attention and should give more space for the smaller slot receiver types to thrive with open spacing.

If every receiver is under 6'0 and running routes under 10 yards, they all are effectively slot receivers. So adding receivers of size like we have lately, we should be in better shape as a total offense come fall. If any of the new guys (including Manning in this) prove to be good blockers, we could be very interesting to watch.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

You make a good point with WR and JD being natural slot receivers. There is something to wanting those big 6'2"+ receivers though as those big body receivers help us in many ways. First, blocking -- their body size alone gives them an advantage against the smaller receivers we've had on the edges lately. (Yes, effort and willingness to block are more important but the sheer size helps). Next, they are bigger targets for a QB to look for downfield. Lastly, the bigger size naturally draws more attention and should give more space for the smaller slot receiver types to thrive with open spacing.

If every receiver is under 6'0 and running routes under 10 yards, they all are effectively slot receivers. So adding receivers of size like we have lately, we should be in better shape as a total offense come fall. If any of the new guys (including Manning in this) prove to be good blockers, we could be very interesting to watch.

hopefully this allows Alante to run wild from the slot position 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Wan'dale Robinson