Wan'dale Robinson

• 5 months later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• Mavric changed the title to Wan'dale Robinson

Wan'Dale explains what we all knew as to why he left - he was being misused.

But Robinson's path to racking up yards and scores in Kentucky blue has been a winding one. In reality, it almost never happened. After initially committing to play at Kentucky, the four-star recruit then changed his decision and ultimately chose to go to Nebraska to start his collegiate career. Now, after being named second-team freshman All-American in his first season, we find Robsinson back in his home state for his local team.

The reason was usage, but not a lack of it. Rather, it was the direction of it.

“I didn’t expect to play as much running back and do the inside zone as much as I did,” Robinson said. “My freshman year, I just kind of did it out of necessity. A lot of running backs got hurt. As a freshman, I’m doing whatever I can to make sure that we’re winning and just keeping us in ball games. The next year, kind of the same scenario, and we were just in a lot of close games and weren't really able to figure it out.

“Just really coming to the point where I’m like okay, at the next level, am I really going to be in the backfield taking these handoffs and things like that? I mean, obviously, I know there’s a chance that I’ll take the jet sweeps and do some schematic things that have me as a running back, and I'm fine with that. I just don’t want to be truly stuck back there playing running back and having to learn pass protections and things like that. So, it was really good to get here. And now, I’m really just kind of focusing on receiver. And I’ll do some gadget things here and there just because that’s my skill set, and I know I can do them and have a history of doing them.”

After asking if there was a pass-protection rep in practice or in games that stuck out to him as the moment he realized he didn’t want to be doing that too often, Robinson smiled with one instance that came to mind.

“We were playing Iowa last year. I was playing running back, and they brought a little cross-dog blitz,” Robinson said. “And one of the [linebackers] came, and I had cut him. And he didn’t fall all the way. He just fell on me, and I was like, ‘oh yeah, if I’m cutting him and he’s just doing this, this ain’t for me.’ So, at that point, it was time to make a change.”

Robinson doesn’t have to take on many linebackers these days. Instead, he’s blowing right by them on his way to open space as a slot receiver. His 86.3 PFF overall grade currently ranks fifth among the 87 FBS wide receivers who have seen 15 or more targets. 

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“A lot of people, especially with me transferring, didn’t really want to tell me I could be a full-time receiver and do the things I’m doing now,” Robinson told reporters after his 181-yard day against the Aggies. “My old coach wanted to tell me that I wasn’t a receiver, so I just put my head down and worked since I got here in the spring and wanted to make the impact that I could.

“Now, luckily, things are paying off.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/don-t-worry-no-1-113000982.html

His old coach sounds like a real f***ing moron.

Wait.

Oh no.

:facepalm:

• Plus1 1