Defensive Play

Undone

On Cam Taylor’s INT in the 4th quarter, I told my son “watch for the slot receiver on the slant”. The QB threw a bad pass behind the receiver, and Taylor made the pick off the tipped ball.  At first glance, I thought that was just a terrible throw by the QB. Now it wasn’t a good throw, but the safety (I think Dismuke) had read the play and was coming down hard on the slant route. Maybe the QB saw the safety, which forced a bad throw. I don’t know, but it was great to see Cam make the play on the tipped ball. That’s still good defense.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, the Michigan CB dropped a sure pick 6 after the QB just threw the ball up in the air to nobody. 

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eating crow for what?  I'm pretty sure getting pressure will still be considered good defense next week.

My statement was that the pressure covered up deficiencies, not that pressure is poor defense. Colorado is much more capable of exploiting that than we saw today.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

On Cam Taylor’s INT in the 4th quarter, I told my son “watch for the slot receiver on the slant”. The QB threw a bad pass behind the receiver, and Taylor made the pick off the tipped ball.  At first glance, I thought that was just a terrible throw by the QB. Now it wasn’t a good throw, but the safety (I think Dismuke) had read the play and was coming down hard on the slant route. Maybe the QB saw the safety, which forced a bad throw. I don’t know, but it was great to see Cam make the play on the tipped ball. That’s still good defense

They were hitting that spot just underneath the Safety all day, because the OLB to that side was rushing and the ILB can’t get there. Good read to recognize it was coming and take it away.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

My statement was that the pressure covered up deficiencies, not that pressure is poor defense. Colorado is much more capable of exploiting that than we saw today.

I think we'll probably get sick of hearing the names Shenault and Nixon next week.  Hopefully we can get enough pressure to limit the damage, stop their rushing and outscore them.

11 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I think we'll probably get sick of hearing the names Shenault and Nixon next week.  

I’m hoping that’s not the case. Colorado doesn’t have a great offense, but they have a QB that is much better than we saw today and playmakers that punish missed tackles.

I liked the defense overall today, I just don’t agree it was “really, really good”. It was an improvement, particularly in terms of effort and aggression, but we’ve had this tendency in recent years to jump onboard whatever side of the ball was better and lambast the other side forgetting there was good and bad on both sides. 

1 hour ago, brophog said:

From the conversations we had about last year, your reaction today is expected. You were happy when we blitzed and not happy when we didn’t.

Agreed.

This is in direct correlation to playing in a 3-4. If given a choice, I would switch to a 4-3 yesterday. Because I believe that Frost has the recruiting prowess to pull off landing a stud defensive end every other class. I do not like playing a 3-4 in a run-heavy conference.

But if that's what we're going to do, then 1-2 or those backers has to be blitzing regularly. Unless of course one of your three down linemen is N Suh...which is not the case for this team.

15 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

This is in direct correlation to playing in a 3-4. If given a choice, I would switch to a 4-3 yesterday. Because I believe that Frost has the recruiting prowess to pull off landing a stud defensive end every other class. I do not like playing a 3-4 in a run-heavy conference.

But if that's what we're going to do, then 1-2 or those backers has to be blitzing regularly. Unless of course one of your three down linemen is N Suh...which is not the case for this team.

This is the core of so many arguments I’ve had on this site, to the point I don’t find it useful to even discuss much. We are still based in a 4 man rush like practically everyone else. Alex Davis just doesn’t have his hand on the ground. We will go to an even front with something like Stille/Khalil inside with two OLB and it’s functionally no different than in a 4-3 defense under the same conditions. We may bring 2 OLB down into a 50 on first down, another team may go to a 4-3 under front. When you hear Tuioti describe what he wants in body types, he wants a nose, an under tackle (like a 3 tech), and defensive end bodies (he differentiates the two sides by body type). Chinander doesn’t refer to this as a 3-4 because it’s a multi-front defense.

We may be arguing semantics at times, but I (like many) don’t use the word blitz unless it’s more than 4 rushers. I’ll tend to not use it at all, really, and just refer to an outside rusher as an edge rusher to avoid confusion. So what I would consider a base rush already has one OLB with pass rush responsibilities. Right now, that’s guys like Alex and Nelson.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

While it would be great to have more constant pressure from the d-line, part of the appeal of the 3-4 is that it allows for blitzes from a lot of different positions. Chin called a number of blitzes last year, and the blitzer didn’t get to the QB. That wasn’t the case today. 

I would attribute some of that to the D Line commanding blocks.