Defensive Play

Undone

7 hours ago, Undone said:

Northern Illinois only ran for 74 yards. Our 5-2 front is pretty stout against the run.

I'll go back and rewatch the game but in real-time it seemed like in the second half they exploited that 5-2 scheme by throwing slants/seam routes right on top of the vacant spot where you'd normally have that third backer. Not entirely sure on that but will go back and look closer. 

Carlos Davis and Alex Davis are two really underrated guys this year. I think Alex is doing a lot of work that just doesn't get seen; he's a big strong body that's hard to block.

JoJo is a man on fire. Holy crow that kid is out there to kick some @$$. 

Personally, I thought they just weren't as aggressive in the defensive playcalling as they were in the first half. They were content with keeping everything in front of them and shortening the game. I could be wrong though.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeeeesh.....7 conference teams on that list. 

Not bad company.  Just looking at the first two on the list, we played the following ranked rushing offense, 38, 80, 124.

Mich St 34, 97, 99

Wisky 101 and 76 (play Michigan this weekend)

Ohio ST 61, 110, 111

As Wisky and Michigan St are pretty much the barometer for solid DL, we are not bad.  Considering they are usually at the top and we are, usually not....I would see us trending upward as guys continue to play together, get more reps etc.....We are not exactly an "established DL".  Yet

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeeeesh.....7 conference teams on that list. 

Best hope Mills and Co continue to improve....

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Clips starts at the time of the play. This is a good example of the reworking of our front seven from a strength & size standpoint over the offseason. Alex Davis fights through a block against their center while simultaneously stopping their running back. Guy is strong for sure:

Yea he stopped that center in his tracks. Impressive play

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I know it worked against No Illinois but still surprised to see only 4 down lineman on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line. Not sure that works starting in B10 play on any short yardage play. You'd think a run off to the right would have been the call for the Huskies. 

image.png.480e85f3f5cdfb6107d3858d6b65072a.png

I don't think it makes a difference if you have guys in a 3-4 point stance or 2 point stance.  There are still 4 d-linemen occupying the 5 offensive linemen.  NU's nose is shaded to the right-side of the offense to take away the advantage on that side, and that assumes that Daniels can occupy the center and guard.  Plus, without a RB in the formation, it shows it will either be a QB run or a pass to the right.  If anything, NIU can try to bust NU's pursuit to the right and go back weak side (left), with the QB following the TE on the bottom of the formation.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think it makes a difference if you have guys in a 3-4 point stance or 2 point stance.  There are still 4 d-linemen occupying the 5 offensive linemen.  NU's nose is shaded to the right-side of the offense to take away the advantage on that side, and that assumes that Daniels can occupy the center and guard.  Plus, without a RB in the formation, it shows it will either be a QB run or a pass to the right.  If anything, NIU can try to bust NU's pursuit to the right and go back weak side (left), with the QB following the TE on the bottom of the formation.

I don't think we did it based on their formation. I know several times last year on 3rd and 4th and short we still only kept 3 down lineman and it drove me crazy. Having both Daniels in the middle is a massive improvement from last year though

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I don't think we did it based on their formation. I know several times last year on 3rd and 4th and short we still only kept 3 down lineman and it drove me crazy. Having both Daniels in the middle is a massive improvement from last year though

And I wonder if it's partly a question of whether we could get a fourth big man subbed in there in time. I'd take Stille or Thomas in there with the Davis bros & Darrion for sure, but if we can't get that fourth big guy subbed in I like Alex Davis being there on the edge.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

And I wonder if it's partly a question of whether we could get a fourth big man subbed in there in time. I'd take Stille or Thomas in there with the Davis bros & Darrion for sure, but if we can't get that fourth big guy subbed in I like Alex Davis being there on the edge.

I agree with Alex Davis on the edge, he is listed at 6'5 250, so he could be hand in the dirt DE for a lot of teams. Iowas starting DE's are 6'5 255 and 6'8 280.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I know it worked against No Illinois but still surprised to see only 4 down lineman on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line. Not sure that works starting in B10 play. You'd think a run off to the right would have been the call for the Huskies. 

image.png.480e85f3f5cdfb6107d3858d6b65072a.png

I’m just happy Tre Neal wasn’t lined up over center