Defensive Play

Undone

Just now, Jarhead In Red said:

And I thought our down 3 DL made some pretty good plays blowing the inside runs up. Daniels had a few TFL and Davis made a few nice plays. The QB keepers hurt us, but that was mainly because of poor reactions by the LBs and  not doing well in space.  With the exception of OSU, we seem to be a little more stout this year vs inside runs, and that is a welcomed improvement....

I think the interior line has done a very good job all season.  Our OLB's seem to crash down on the RB's on the zone reads a bit too much for my taste, but they may be following instructions on that given play call.  The NW burned our OLB's a few times by keeping it and the ILB's weren't getting to the edge quick enough.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

I definitely agree. That had a huge impact on the rest of the game IMO. It seemed like a lot of the time when the zone read worked for them it was because our DE/OLB wasn’t holding contain and was just set on getting to the RB which allowed for an easy read for NW’s QB.

I just posted a similar comment.  I'm not sure what the OLB is being told to do on those plays, but the coaches adjusted and brought more support to the outside, and also limited cutback lanes.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the interior line has done a very good job all season.  Our OLB's seem to crash down on the RB's on the zone reads a bit too much for my taste, but they may be following instructions on that given play call.  The NW burned our OLB's a few times by keeping it and the ILB's weren't getting to the edge quick enough.

I love the guys we have there, but we will be a lot better when we have an ILB with above average speed or at least instincts. My money is on Henrich.

6 minutes ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

It seemed like a lot of the time when the zone read worked for them it was because our DE/OLB wasn’t holding contain and was just set on getting to the RB which allowed for an easy read for NW’s QB.

Agreed. And although Wisconsin doesn't run the zone read, what I noticed about NW's success against Wisconsin was how patient their linebackers were in just waiting to see where Taylor was headed before they attacked the rushing lanes. They extremely successful there.

I have to just say...it's really frustrating watching our OLB's do stuff like this when we play in a 3-4. It just compounds your vulnerabilities that exist already in a three man front. If I've said it once on this forum I've probably said it 20 times...I just don't like playing in a 3-4 in the Big 10. But, I know it can look much better when you've potentially got guys like Ty Robinsin & Nick Henrich out there.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I have to just say...it's really frustrating watching our OLB's do stuff like this when we play in a 3-4. It just compounds your vulnerabilities that exist already in a three man front. If I've said it once on this forum I've probably said it 20 times...I just don't like playing in a 3-4 in the Big 10. But, I know it can look much better when you've potentially got guys like Ty Robinson & Nick Henrich out there.

I will say I’ve noticed that it does seem like we play a multiple defense. I see a LOT of 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 but it always starts out looking like a plain 3-4. I think what hurts us a ton is not having above average athleticism or playmaking from the hybrid DE/OLB role. Alex Davis just doesn’t cut it and it doesn’t seem like Tannor is getting much play time. But to address the bold, I 100% agree I’d way rather play an aggressive 4-3 which can switch to a 4-2-5 against a spread offense than a 3-4.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed. And although Wisconsin doesn't run the zone read, what I noticed about NW's success against Wisconsin was how patient their linebackers were in just waiting to see where Taylor was headed before they attacked the rushing lanes. They extremely successful there.

I have to just say...it's really frustrating watching our OLB's do stuff like this when we play in a 3-4. It just compounds your vulnerabilities that exist already in a three man front. If I've said it once on this forum I've probably said it 20 times...I just don't like playing in a 3-4 in the Big 10. But, I know it can look much better when you've potentially got guys like Ty Robinsin & Nick Henrich out there.

http://www.1620thezone.com/severe-and-benning-radio-replay/

Troy Dumas was on Severe and Benning today (segment 6) and spoke a lot between the differences in the 4-3 and 3-4.  Dumas admits he's a bit biased since he was a 4-3 guy at NU.  He also makes good comments about Mo Barry's play at ILB.

• Plus1 1
On 10/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, Undone said:

Halfway through the season, here are some thoughts:

-It's pretty obvious what's missing in passing situations. We're pretty much completely lacking a pass rusher. We need a Grant Wistrom or Randy Gregory body type that's a taller, athletic guy with long arms to pass rush. Could be a true rush end or hell, I'd even take an outside linebacker that could fit the build. We just don't have that guy right now and it's hurting us.

-I think Travis Fisher is a good coach. He seems to also be a good motivator.

-Feel like it's fair to say we've succeeded at (mostly) taking the guys we had and turning them into a defense that defends the run better than they did last year. It's nice to see that progress. In the three man front, we got hurt yesterday on stretch run plays. This is a basic game of numbers with 5 on 3, and your linebackers have to really have good eyes and know which lanes to attack. But all in all, our run defense is improved.

I think Tannor is starting to develop into someone who can make plays. He’s starting to show up. I also think Nelson has the motor for it, unsure of his athleticism.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

I think Tannor is starting to develop into someone who can make plays. He’s starting to show up. I also think Nelson has the motor for it, unsure of his athleticism.

Agreed. Tannor looks like the most athletic guy that Frost has recruited on defense to-date that has seen the field. I think he has good potential.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Agreed. Tannor looks like the most athletic guy that Frost has recruited on defense to-date that has seen the field. I think he has good potential.

I really like Tannor's potential and he has great athleticism.  It's tough to make him an every down OLB because as the weak-side OLB, he is the first to come off the field for the Nickel back.  He doesn't have the size to be a strong-side OLB.  I do like it when they use Tannor on 3rd downs, because there is less likelihood of the opposing offense running right at him.

Just now, suh_fan93 said:

If anyone is developing I think it is Marquel Dismuke.  Had a great game against Ohio St. and another one against Northwestern.  He's 2nd on the team in total tackles currently and has the most tackles of anyone in the Husker secondary.

For sure - he still has the occasional whiff, but overall he's turned into a very good tackler. Still waiting for the ball-hawking to show up, at one point at least in fall camp he was leading the DB production chart. But Dismuke has been solid, which is huge since Safety depth is not where we want right now.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

This defense is made for linebackers to read and react.  We do not have the guys to run this.  Watch JoJo and A. Davis.  A. Davis runs by the QB on the zone read, Jo Jo hesitates to make sure the ball is gone.  I really like Barry, but sometime he gets caught in the line and takes bad angles. 

Dumas had worthy criticism for the LB's this morning on Severe and Benning.  Said the OLB's (mainly Davis) get too far upfield and don't want to "set the edge".  He also said Barry plays too often like a 4-3 MLB, and shoots to a gap, rather than reading the play and avoiding blockers.  The 3-4 is very tough on LB's, as they are expected to make the majority of the plays.  

• Plus1 1