Defensive Play

Undone

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Dumas had worthy criticism for the LB's this morning on Severe and Benning.  Said the OLB's (mainly Davis) get too far upfield and don't want to "set the edge".  He also said Barry plays too often like a 4-3 MLB, and shoots to a gap, rather than reading the play and avoiding blockers.  The 3-4 is very tough on LB's, as they are expected to make the majority of the plays.  

LBs are weakest part of our Def.  I truly believe it will get better and we will have a dominating defense again.

• Plus1 2

Here's one of my biggest questions: Let's say Ty Robinson is the guy we think he's going to be - a slightly smaller JJ Watt out there. On 3rd & long situations, will Chinander be willing to be flexible and play him as a fourth guy on the line in addition to three other guys that might have roughly the same builds as Khalil/Carlos/Derrion?

Or will Ty just be the third lineman with two other Davis twin type bodies out there? We won't really know I guess until a year or two down the line.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Dumas had worthy criticism for the LB's this morning on Severe and Benning.  Said the OLB's (mainly Davis) get too far upfield and don't want to "set the edge".  He also said Barry plays too often like a 4-3 MLB, and shoots to a gap, rather than reading the play and avoiding blockers.  The 3-4 is very tough on LB's, as they are expected to make the majority of the plays.  

That's an interesting observation.  I'm sure he's right.  But that's kind of an interesting balance between being aggressive and playing smart.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Here's one of my biggest questions: Let's say Ty Robinson is the guy we think he's going to be - a slightly smaller JJ Watt out there. On 3rd & long situations, will Chinander be willing to be flexible and play him as a fourth guy on the line in addition to three other guys that might have roughly the same builds as Khalil/Carlos/Derrion?

Or will Ty just be the third lineman with two other Davis twin type bodies out there? We won't really know I guess until a year or two down the line.

I don't think he's the guy to do that.  He's going to be big.  You want an OLB type to develop into that type of pass rusher.

I'd say Robinson will be in the mix of six-ish guys like we're doing this year.  Next year we'll have Stille as a senior.  Damion, Deontre and Jahkeem as Juniors and those four would seem to be the locks.  Then find 2-3 more guys out of Chris Walker, Wildeman, Rogers, Robinson and Newsom.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's an interesting observation.  I'm sure he's right.  But that's kind of an interesting balance between being aggressive and playing smart.

And I haven't listened to that link that ColoradoHusk posted yet, but the thing is, maybe Barry is actually being coached to this...

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

And I haven't listened to that link that ColoradoHusk posted yet, but the thing is, maybe Barry is actually being coached to this...

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about as well.  They definitely talk a lot about being aggressive and looking for TFLs.  Perhaps they have a little different ideas about how to go about it thatn others.

• Plus1 1

Exhibit A for why I think PFF is cool but very flawed: Eric Lee was still the highest graded Safety in the country through week 5 (link). He balled out against South Alabama and maybe you can argue he should be playing more, but I'm pretty sure we're not bringing the best Safety in the nation off the bench for a few snaps at a time. Impressive grade either way though.

48 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Not trying to feed/start any sort of infernet drama but just happened to read this tweet from Clark.  Hope all is good.  Again I have no idea what he is referencing.

If you have time to listen to coach Fisher's media interview today, it'll make sense.