Defensive Play

Undone

I was the one who started this thread, and I admit that I've been wrong about pretty much everything so far.

Our 5-2 looked good against Northern Illinois but it looked terrible last night. What Minnesota did a lot of was stretch plays and counters. When you only have two guys staying home at LB - combined with them being coached to attack the line of scrimmage as opposed to staying put in run fit - it's a recipe for disaster.

Ever since we first started getting blown out by Wisconsin when we came into this league I said that we need a defensive coordinator that spends his entire offseason watching what Iowa, Penn State, and Wisconsin do on defense and try to emulate their run defense tactics as much as possible. Alex Davis is a serviceable player, but WTF good does he do when you have him out on the edge all game? And then Barry and Miller over-pursued all game.

Are Barry & Miller being coached to play this way by Ruud? I ask in earnest, because that performance was embarrassing last night.

• Plus1 1

I said all last year that we had major scheme problems but was repeatedly told that "Chinander just doesn't have his guys."

Jackson is projected to play on Sundays. Bootle gets a ton of mentions by the weekly stats award groups. Dismuke has been playing fairly well the last couple games. The secondary doesn't seem to be the problem.

We've got some terrible scheme/coaching issues with our front seven. I don't have time to do it this morning, but later in the week I'm hoping to compile some stats on average defensive recruiting high school rankings of some other teams like possibly Iowa & Wisconsin. I believe someone else helped with this earlier this year, but I can't remember which poster it was. 

There is just no f****** way that we shouldn't be able to adjust in-game to things like counters & stretch plays. Stick Thomas in there as your fourth down lineman, swallow your damn pride, and play JoJo | Barry | Tannor in a 4-3 when it's clear you're going to get run over all game. You would swear that Chinander doesn't even have a play call to call in that stands for "run fit."

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Undone said:

I said all last year that we had major scheme problems but was repeatedly told that "Chinander just doesn't have his guys."

Jackson is projected to play on Sundays. Bootle gets a ton of mentions by the weekly stats award groups. Dismuke has been playing fairly well the last couple games. The secondary doesn't seem to be the problem.

We've got some terrible scheme/coaching issues with our front seven. I don't have time to do it this morning, but later in the week I'm hoping to compile some stats on average defensive recruiting high school rankings of some other teams like possibly Iowa & Wisconsin. I believe someone else helped with this earlier this year, but I can't remember which poster it was. 

There is just no f****** way that we shouldn't be able to adjust in-game to things like counters & stretch plays. Stick Thomas in there as your fourth down lineman, swallow your damn pride, and play JoJo | Barry | Tannor in a 4-3 when it's clear you're going to get run over all game. You would swear that Chinander doesn't even have a play call to call in that stands for "run fit."

What do recruiting rankings mean when your upperclassmen classes are decimated by attrition? No depth at any position to create competition. Literally at corner, saftey, inside and outside backer we have few backups outside of freshman, sophmores or juco guys. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I was the one who started this thread, and I admit that I've been wrong about pretty much everything so far.

Our 5-2 looked good against Northern Illinois but it looked terrible last night. What Minnesota did a lot of was stretch plays and counters. When you only have two guys staying home at LB - combined with them being coached to attack the line of scrimmage as opposed to staying put in run fit - it's a recipe for disaster.

Ever since we first started getting blown out by Wisconsin when we came into this league I said that we need a defensive coordinator that spends his entire offseason watching what Iowa, Penn State, and Wisconsin do on defense and try to emulate their run defense tactics as much as possible. Alex Davis is a serviceable player, but WTF good does he do when you have him out on the edge all game? And then Barry and Miller over-pursued all game.

Are Barry & Miller being coached to play this way by Ruud? I ask in earnest, because that performance was embarrassing last night.

Yet Barry led Nebraska in tackles once again.  (11 total...).  Also every single linebacker was and has been guilty of over pursuing the ball carrier all season long.  

Dismuke with another good ball game.  10 total tackles which was #2nd for the Huskers and once again led the secondary with the most tackles.

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yet Barry led Nebraska in tackles once again.  (11 total...).  Also every single linebacker was and has been guilty of over pursuing the ball carrier all season long.  

Dismuke with another good ball game.  10 total tackles which was #2nd for the Huskers and once again led the secondary with the most tackles.

I keep seeing people give tackle totals, how many of them were near or behind the LOS? Seems like a dubious stat to me. Did they make these tackles after a ten yard run? Seemed like it.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I keep seeing people give tackle totals, how many of them were near or behind the LOS? Seems like a dubious stat to me. Did they make these tackles after a ten yard run? Seemed like it.

I agree.   I see barry running into the line and coming back to make the tackle. I applaud him not stopping, but he is out of position on way too many plays. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

You should keep reposting this over and over. The idea that we only do things one way and waiting for better players to make it work doesn't make sense. It seems like we have some players right now but they're not in position to stop the offense we're facing. Minnesota wasn't running rocket science.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Undone said:

That bolded is what concerns me the most.  It started with Bo and really hasn't changed.  Bo had Carl and Paps on the defensive side.  Bo, a new HC, with no experience and throw in a DC staff with little to less than Bo had.  There was no sounding board to get advice.  There was no deep well of experience to draw ideas/inspiration/solutions from......(Riley was a wasted 3 years)  Then Frost and Co come.  A staff that had two years together at UCF and interactions throughout their respective careers.  Chin was a DC for 2 years in the AAC....Ruud in his first coaching gig......Who they go to on the staff to get solutions? (Fisher is probably the best on that side of the ball) And this goes for the O side as well.  Just because you had success in the NFL or at "X" school, doesn't mean it translates to NU or any other place.  And on Fisher, why cross train guys as DB's?  How about make them experts at their craft and position.  Not a "jack of all trades master of none".  Seems like a lot of practice time wasted if player "X" is never going to play CB.....

The bull headed inability to adjust, either through inability or pride, is mind numbing to watch.  I am starting to err on the side of inability to adjust.  Chin could just have told Mo and Will to freeze at the snap and read then react and it would have been more successful than whatever we were doing last night.  

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

You should keep reposting this over and over. The idea that we only do things one way and waiting for better players to make it work doesn't make sense. It seems like we have some players right now but they're not in position to stop the offense we're facing. Minnesota wasn't running rocket science.

The other thing that is commonly talked about on these boards......every time something we're doing doesn't work, we don't need to run and find another coach. We have coaches who can do better than they're doing right now and they need to stop pointing at the players and start doing it. It feels like the other team is intercepting our calls during the game, but maybe our defense is so ill-conceived that it's like taking candy from a baby? No matter how many short routes we give up, we just can not allow a worse run defense than the five teams Minnesota previously beat.

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'm trying to identify how we let Minnesota rush for over 300 yards.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

That bolded is what concerns me the most.  It started with Bo and really hasn't changed.  Bo had Carl and Paps on the defensive side.  Bo, a new HC, with no experience and throw in a DC staff with little to less than Bo had.  There was no sounding board to get advice.  There was no deep well of experience to draw ideas/inspiration/solutions from......(Riley was a wasted 3 years)  Then Frost and Co come.  A staff that had two years together at UCF and interactions throughout their respective careers.  Chin was a DC for 2 years in the AAC....Ruud in his first coaching gig......Who they go to on the staff to get solutions? (Fisher is probably the best on that side of the ball) And this goes for the O side as well.  Just because you had success in the NFL or at "X" school, doesn't mean it translates to NU or any other place.  And on Fisher, why cross train guys as DB's?  How about make them experts at their craft and position.  Not a "jack of all trades master of none".  Seems like a lot of practice time wasted if player "X" is never going to play CB.....

The bull headed inability to adjust, either through inability or pride, is mind numbing to watch.  I am starting to err on the side of inability to adjust.  Chin could just have told Mo and Will to freeze at the snap and read then react and it would have been more successful than whatever we were doing last night.  

Adjustments are good.

The ability to shed blocks is better.

Frost mentioned it.....they knew what Minnesota was going to do.....but we got physically manhandled.

On 10/8/2019 at 9:42 PM, DefenderAO said:

Day by day they're trying to get better. Bunch of jock talk like always. Noticed the same things we did.

I think the secondary IS getting better. Only problem I've seen is several guys worrying so much about losing the receiver that they get hit in the back of the head with the ball. 

24 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Adjustments are good.

The ability to shed blocks is better.

Frost mentioned it.....they knew what Minnesota was going to do.....but we got physically manhandled.

The team must be worried having  to have to face Wisky and Iowa.......

And something that needs to be corrected....