Defensive Play

Undone

Beginning of the season we were stunting, sending safeties and corners, delay blitzing lbs... add to that he’s watching our three heavyweights getting outmanned and content to wait for them to get five yards past the line. 

Our pressure was forcing bad passes and getting us picks as well.

Lets play on their territory again.

I think he’s playing it safe worried about them getting the big play, but they have so much room they’re doing it anyway.

Edit: The DBs Have also turned overly cautious with potential interceptions bouncing off the back of their head.

I think their fear of not measuring up to the receiver’s talent has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Playing not to lose.

• Plus1 1

Stunting is not at all a good idea against zone runs, and secondary blitzes against RPOs are high risk as well. I think he played it as aggressively as he could given the offensive scheme. 

I am far from sold on Chinander, but I didn't see anything that made me think he got outsmarted. In the end the defensive performance is on him, but from what I can tell this isn't as much on him as it could be. 

We are allowing 33.3 points per game to B10 opposition this season.  Would be worse if not for NW.

Our Defense is not improving, in fact it’s getting worse.

One thing Chinander is good at.....is....giving up points.  

NU and Frost,  need to open up the wallet and hire Wisconsin’s DC at any price.

• Haha 1

This fire Chinander stuff is bulls#!t.  The defense had a bad game, but more often than not has carried our team.

How can the same people wanting Chinander gone, not want our Offensive Coordinator gone? Or our O line coach? Or our receivers coach?  Our offense is what has been pathetic, not our defense.

• Plus1 3
51 minutes ago, SFW said:

NU and Frost,  need to open up the wallet and hire Wisconsin’s DC at any price.

You mean the guy who:

1) is a Wisconsin alumni 

2) inherited a consistently top 5 defense with the rest of the staff remaining in place 

3) is in his 3rd year as a DC

Leonhard has done well, but he got dropped in an incredible situation and wouldn't leave Wisconsin unless it's for a head coaching job. 

12 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

There were definitely a few where we didn't set the edge, but more where the ILBs/Ss ran right by their gaps. 

I don’t know how noticeable it was on tv, but I can’t tell you how many times Jackson/Bootle would play themselves out of the run because of the lack of awareness. They would stay locked up with a receiver and wouldn’t even see that it was a run play.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Beginning of the season we were stunting, sending safeties and corners, delay blitzing lbs... add to that he’s watching our three heavyweights getting outmanned and content to wait for them to get five yards past the line. 

Our pressure was forcing bad passes and getting us picks as well.

Lets play on their territory again.

I think he’s playing it safe worried about them getting the big play, but they have so much room they’re doing it anyway.

Edit: The DBs Have also turned overly cautious with potential interceptions bouncing off the back of their head.

I think their fear of not measuring up to the receiver’s talent has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Playing not to lose.

I didn't get to watch the game but how do you know we didn't send DB blitzes? I saw 2 against NW last week so its not like he has completelty stopped calling them. Also our front 3 aren't really getting outmanned as you can see by the pictures posted. People hate the 3 man front then want Wisconsins D coordinator. He runs a 3 man front! Lol

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, CalhounHusker said:

I don’t know how noticeable it was on tv, but I can’t tell you how many times Jackson/Bootle would play themselves out of the run because of the lack of awareness. They would stay locked up with a receiver and wouldn’t even see that it was a run play.

That would be man coverage. Ideally at some point they recognize it's a run, but with an RPO/play action heavy team they have to be a little cautious. In most defenses they are only cleanup guys anyway, if they need to be the ones to make a tackle someone else is doing a bad job.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That would be man coverage. Ideally at some point they recognize it's a run, but with an RPO/play action heavy team they have to be a little cautious. In most defenses they are only cleanup guys anyway, if they need to be the ones to make a tackle someone else is doing a bad job.

Absolutely true.

The scheme is in place for our LBs to be tackling machines.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I understand what man coverage is, but when they throw a total of 13 passes, and finish the game with 322 yards, it’s time to play the run.

• Plus1 2