Defensive Play

Undone

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm excited to see what Nelson's career is like here.  If he can eliminate the mental mistakes and increase his football IQ while in the field, I think he has the potential to be a star.

I agree. I'm not sure he's very quick, but he's strong. If he can get coached up to take good angles and not over-pursue I think he could fit with this scheme well.

1 minute ago, Frostberg said:

Although Mo struggles I'll take him on my team any day. He is the type of culture guy that is good for the locker room.

Agreed. I just wish he was a rotational guy, or the guys around him didn't have similar problems. I think you can get away with one high-energy guy who isn't always where he's supposed to be, but when no one is where they're supposed to be on the second level it doesn't work.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Agreed. I just wish he was a rotational guy, or the guys around him didn't have similar problems. I think you can get away with one high-energy guy who isn't always where he's supposed to be, but when no one is where they're supposed to be on the second level it doesn't work.

In my mind Mo typifies the issue - talk vs action. Stop tweeting people will “feel your pain” then whiff in tackles or run into blockers. Shut your mouth and deliver. The rest is noise. 

Your captains and leaders need to lead. Mo has been really really bad this year. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, DefenderAO said:

In my mind Mo typifies the issue - talk vs action. Stop tweeting people will “feel your pain” then whiff in tackles or run into blockers. Shut your mouth and deliver. The rest is noise. 

Your captains and leaders need to lead. Mo has been really really bad this year. 

I think it's a better issue to have than guys just standing around at least. And I don't consider Mo all talk - the missed tackles aren't a lack of effort, and I think he's trying to do things the right way. But yes, we will be better when we have better players. He is leading in practice and doing things the right way off the field, once we have guys doing that and performing on the field we'll be very good.

• Plus1 1

Not grasping the spirit of this thread, especially the first post about how good we did in that game defensively.   Huh? ..

Wisconsin racked up 482 yards on Nebraska at home.  They had 25 first downs.   We don't need to answer that with our yardage on offense.. this is about our D still giving up huge yardage numbers every game and this time at home (again). 

I don't believe in the DC;  not one bit.  I believe in about three or four of our defensive players each game. 

Have our standards gotten lower?  We're feeling good about "looking pretty good today" in a loss with 482 yards given away and 25 first downs?

EDIT:   I posted this before finding out this thread is not about the Wisconsin game.. didn't even look at the date.  :blink::bang

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

He's been really really bad but still leads the team in tackles by 17. :dunno

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

especially the first post about how good we did in that game defensively

To be fair this was started after the first game...

• Plus1 1