Defensive Play

Undone

Just now, DefenderAO said:

So Dismuke diving at people and missing tackles is better than anything we have on the sideline with working arms to try and wrap up?  

19 misses so many tackles. Praise him.  Working while sick isn’t a sign of toughness especially when others then get sick. Missing tackles because you’re playing through pain also hurts the team. 

Honestly, 100% yes. Lee was a stud against South Alabama and has not been good since. Sullivan was a cult hero but has also been bad. Stalbird I haven't seen on D, just special teams. Taylor-Britt also cam't use an arm, and Bootle is just undersized. Who do you suggest we try?

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Honestly, 100% yes. Lee was a stud against South Alabama and has not been good since. Sullivan was a cult hero but has also been bad. Stalbird I haven't seen on D, just special teams. Taylor-Britt also cam't use an arm, and Bootle is just undersized. Who do you suggest we try?

And this might typify the crux of the issue. Our team is at a state where an ineffectual player, playing sore, is the very best we can put on the field.  No youngin’ can step in; diving Dismuke at least changes the runner’s path. 

1 minute ago, DefenderAO said:

And this might typify the crux of the issue. Our team is at a state where an ineffectual player, playing sore, is the very best we can put on the field.  No youngin’ can step in; diving Dismuke at least changes the runner’s path. 

Right, I agree. Playing/practicing hurt is great, but we need to be in a place where the coaches can say thanks for pushing through, but let's get you healthy because in your current state some other player is better.

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I think it's a better issue to have than guys just standing around at least. And I don't consider Mo all talk - the missed tackles aren't a lack of effort, and I think he's trying to do things the right way. But yes, we will be better when we have better players. He is leading in practice and doing things the right way off the field, once we have guys doing that and performing on the field we'll be very good.

Mo has everything we want in a  LB except the athleticism to be really good.  He has the right attitude.  He plays hard.  I believe he trains hard.  I believe he's a leader on the team.  He just doesn't have the athleticism to make a lot of the plays.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Mo has everything we want in a  LB except the athleticism to be really good.  He has the right attitude.  He plays hard.  I believe he trains hard.  I believe he's a leader on the team.  He just doesn't have the athleticism to make a lot of the plays.

I forget if it was Chinander or Ruud or who - but before the year they talked about getting guys with length and athleticism, and the margin of error that gives them in making tackles. Mo is exhibit A for how hard it is to tackle without that.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Had 12 tackles against Wiscy.  Just like every single player on this defense he's had some issues but he's still our leading tackler regardless.  I still think our scheme alone has a lot to do with the ineffectiveness of our defense this year.

'We don't have enough depth to put anyone on the field except dudes that are hurt but the scheme is the major problem'

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

'We don't have enough depth to put anyone on the field except dudes that are hurt but the scheme is the major problem'

When you let Purdon't score as easily as they did on that end around and then watch Wiscy do the exact same thing for a very easy and nice gain with us once again not protecting the edge you tell me.  Is that a depth issue??????  To make matters worse Chin's D doesn't seem to adjust at all.  Then there's the almost non existant pass rush.   At this point blitz anyone.  Seriously.  Send someone who has some speed back there especially when your front 4 are getting absolutely ZERO pressure and are getting locked down by way too many OL's this year.

No one has to agree with me I'm just saying.  Chin's 3-4 has been predictable and a lot of times just plain ol terrible and I feel he has the athletes to at least make a better showing than this scheme has.  Just my opinion however.  

• Plus1 1

Freshman DL Ty Robinson is 'a big human' with a bright future and a growing role for Huskers

“I anticipate ramping up Ty’s reps, probably almost double this next game, and see what he can do for us,” Tuoiti said. “He’s continuing to show that he can do a great job for us in the run game and also in the pass game.”

“I was really proud of Ty Robinson,” junior defensive end Ben Stille said. “He’s made a lot of improvements over the months that he’s been here, and that was really impressive to see him hold his own in there at nose against one of the bigger O-lines in the Big Ten.”

EJxIvFPXUAILPpn.jpg:large

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Undone said:

Another play for some defensive X's & O's stuff, just for fun:

image.png.05c893553dfae2e356a0c68f91d671b5.png

I seem to remember Minnesota torching us on plays like this. Four receivers wide. One of your best tacklers (Domann) is coached to play pass support. I get it - he's the Nickel. But this scheme/alignment means there's no LBs on the strong side. 

Feels like a safer bet to have our edge LB on the strong side. But Nelson's on the weak side. Turns out to be a running play that goes strong side. Bootle is called to blitz the weak side, too. No help on the strong side, and that's exactly where they run towards.

Couldn't create a moving GIF of the play but here's a YouTube video that begins at the start of the play:

Minnesota hurt us pretty bad with this same play. We basically sell out to defend the pass and don't have run fit in mind at all. I expect Maryland to run this same play a lot on Saturday.

Seems like you need to rotate a safety down to help in run support right? I agree the way they are lined up is terrible for defending the run.