Defensive Play

Undone

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But if the WLB is the first defender taken off the field when NU goes into Nickel, Tannor won't play much.  That does change sometimes when Chin goes with a 4-2-5 in passing situations, and Tannor can be used as an edge rusher.

I think Tannor for Domann is a now thing. Imo we can be flexible and take out a few positions in place of a nickelback but right now the best option is Tannor. Any of the lineman or either of the ILBs could be taken out instead of WOLB in a nickel package if Tannor needs to stay on the field due to talent. He may not progress like I am expecting but if he does its also possible they just use nickel less in favor of an athletic LB group

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think Tannor for Domann is a now thing. Imo we can be flexible and take out a few positions in place of a nickelback but right now the best option is Tannor. Any of the lineman or either of the ILBs could be taken out instead of WOLB in a nickel package if Tannor needs to stay on the field due to talent. He may not progress like I am expecting but if he does its also possible they just use nickel less in favor of an athletic LB group

So you are saying Tannor should be playing in the base defense more than Domann?  I guess I'm not following you.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

So you are saying Tannor should be playing in the base defense more than Domann?  I guess I'm not following you.

I'm saying right now Domann is more experienced and better than Tannor so the coaches are trying to get him on the field. They likely want Tannor on the field some as well but he may be the weakest link this season. Going forward he may improve and progress, at that point the coaches may want to keep him on  the field more by subbing someone else out or staying in base more. I'm saying if Tannor develops into a beast of an WOLB there are ways to keep him on the field. 

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

I'm saying right now Domann is more experienced and better than Tannor so the coaches are trying to get him on the field. They likely want Tannor on the field some as well but he may be the weakest link this season. Going forward he may improve and progress, at that point the coaches may want to keep him on  the field more by subbing someone else out or staying in base more. I'm saying if Tannor develops into a beast of an WOLB there are ways to keep him on the field. 

Ok, that makes sense.  However, if he struggles in pass coverage, he won't be playing much, unless NU is in a 4-2-5, with Tannor as an outside pass rusher/DE, and Domann is playing a quasi-ILB spot.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ok, that makes sense.  However, if he struggles in pass coverage, he won't be playing much, unless NU is in a 4-2-5, with Tannor as an outside pass rusher/DE, and Domann is playing a quasi-ILB spot.

I got you and I agree. We need him to be an all around player not just a Randy Gregory type. Although if he develops into a great pass rusher only I guess I won't complain too much.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I hope none of the "3-4 will never work" crowd are watching two playoff teams run that defense. And both - especially Oklahoma - running a configuration almost identical to what we do.

That Oklahoma defense does look pretty identical to what we do...can't argue there. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 8

Things are getting slow if the 3-4 v. 4-3 argument is active. In HS our basketball team all wore Air Jordans and played a full court press like Tarkanians UNLV rebels.. didn't seem to work as well for us as it did for MJ and UNLV. Could there be other factors that apply? dedhoarse