Defensive Play

Undone

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not sure what this proves, but here is 20 years of Nebraska's national rank among scoring defenses. 

(scoring defense isn't the perfect measure, but it's pretty indicative)

1999 #4       (Frank Solich)

2000 #20     (Frank Solich) 

2001 #10     (Frank Solich)

2002 #45     (Frank Solich)

2003 #2        (Frank Solich)

2004 #72     (Bill Callahan)  

2005 #25     (Bill Callahan)

2006  #24    (Bill Callahan)

2007  #115  (Bill Callahan)

2008   #81    (Bo Pelini)

2009  #1       (Bo Pelini)  

2010  #9       (Bo Pelini)

2011 #42     (Bo Pelini)

2012  #58     (Bo Pelini)

2013  #51     (Bo Pelini)

2014  #60     (Bo Pelini)

2015  #76     (Mike Riley)

2016  #34     (Mike Riley)

2017  #117    (Mike Riley)

2018  #88      (Scott Frost)

Where’d you get this? Be interesting to compare the offenses to the defenses for those years. Not that I can’t find that info myself. 

and look at what Bo did with guys that were not his recruits. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I try and learn from the best minds of football on the offensive side to know more about defense. Two of my favorites in regards to that are Urban Meyer and Chris Petersen. Both of them will tell you rule #1 to a successful offense is exploiting the numbers. Urban does his a tad different and draws a straight line from the center down the field towards the defense. He tries anything possible to have an extra blocker or play maker on either side. I mentioned this last year with plenty of screenshots when we played WI and how we aligned was just a failure from the jump and would require very good players to try and overcome the numbers battle. I've seen no difference or adjustemnts thus far under Chin. Of course once we get better players in we will be better, but I have seen nothing to show we can ever be a great defense under him. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballstudyhall.com/platform/amp/2018/2/19/17021322/college-footballs-new-favorite-defense-4i-tech-4-0-4-georgia-texas

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's why I prefaced with "scoring defense isn't the perfect measure, but it's pretty indicative."

Which says roughly the same thing with 650 fewer words. 

I write the 'long' posts (in my opinion most of the 'drive by' posts with a few words or a couple sentences are not serious discussion and debate but verbal jabs and often snarky and unworthy of their length.  My comments are typically a response to the entire discussion or because there are far too many different 'topics' when we are all talking about the same basic subject - Nebraska football -- to the broader ideas and so on.   It seems far too many on this board are of the view that there is just a simple solution (i.e. 'run the dam ball' or 'hire a better defensive coordinator, or bench a given player, or its all Steve Pederson's fault).   i just think that statistics and all the other subjects being argued (far too many of the exchanges are not friendly disagreements - they are spitting matches ) have some value and merit and need to be carefully weighed.   I have no problem with expressing a contrary opinion, positive or negative.   But before you dump players, coaches, fans, etc,  you should give a well reasoned and thoughtful basis for it.   

You write some longer comments and I enjoy reading them by the way.       

• Plus1 2

51 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I still prefer the nickel defense which is basically a 4-2-5 with a player like Hagg was... JoJo would be perfect for. At the end of the day though as long as the defense is playing well IDC what defense we run. 

Imo Jojo just played his worst game. Got beat several times in coverage and whiffed a sack as a free runner. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, SFW said:

Our D is just fine.   As long as we hold our opponents to 30 or fewer points we’re fine according to HCSF.  

2B7956BC-807D-4C7D-9660-AE1B51FDF502.gif

12 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I hope Moos hands down some disciplinary action to Frost for that quote.

That's been blown way out of context. It was about our offense needing to score more, not setting expectations on the defensive numbers. Saying we should be scoring 30+ should not be controversial, and it doesn't mean he's ok with a defense that give up 29.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I still prefer the nickel defense which is basically a 4-2-5 with a player like Hagg was... JoJo would be perfect for. At the end of the day though as long as the defense is playing well IDC what defense we run. 

We're actually doing that a good chunk of the time right now, if we count Alex Davis as the fourth lineman.

I've pointed out several times that what Minnesota did (and then Wisconsin also did, probably looking at film from that game) was run out of a four-wide set that looks like it's going to be a pass play. Then they ran to the side of the field where we had fewer numbers.

To put it simply, we've been out-coached on defense multiple times.

Chinander is going to have to figure out how to coach his two linebackers that stay home in that formation how to stay in run fit. That part is key.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That's been blown way out of context. It was about our offense needing to score more, not setting expectations on the defensive numbers. Saying we should be scoring 30+ should not be controversial, and it doesn't mean he's ok with a defense that give up 29.

Oh I know......my post was sarcasm.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

We're actually doing that a good chunk of the time right now, if we count Alex Davis as the fourth lineman.

I've pointed out several times that what Minnesota did (and then Wisconsin also did, probably looking at film from that game) was run out of a four-wide set that looks like it's going to be a pass play. Then they ran to the side of the field where we had fewer numbers.

To put it simply, we've been out-coached on defense multiple times.

Chinander is going to have to figure out how to coach his two linebackers that stay home in that formation how to stay in run fit. That part is key.

But see I don't count that because as I said previously we would be better off with Davis, Daniels, Daniels, Stille than 3 of those with Alex Davis standing up doing nothing. 

5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Oh I know......my post was sarcasm.

Ah, my bad. Can't even tell what's sarcasm with some of the "realists" on here.

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

But see I don't count that because as I said previously we would be better off with Davis, Daniels, Daniels, Stille than 3 of those with Alex Davis standing up doing nothing. 

I think there's a reason not many people run a 4 man line with all DTs. If you want to slim Stille back down to 270ish, slide Davis down for one of the Daniels, and find another end sure, but now we're just talking about wholesale switching to a 4-man front defense. Which I know a lot of people want. But you think our pass rush is bad now, I shudder thinking about the 4 you mentioned in a passing situation.

• Plus1 1