Defensive Play

Undone

15 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

He was a great under-dog coach. Of course those d numbers might be a tad bit inflated because he was gifted a once in a lifetime player that would have been great for any coach. 

In 2011, when the defense quickly went south, Bo still had guys like Will Compton, Jared Crick, Lavonte David, Daniel Davie, Alfonzo Dennard, Ciante Evans, Sean Fisher, Eric Martin, Cam Merideth, Josh Mitchell, Damion Stafford, Baker Steinkuhler, and others. That sounds better than the guys we have today, but that's also when the not-so-blackshirt era started. 

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Truly impressive, and a nod to what concentrated coaching can do.

Then look at what Bo did with his own recruits, and all you can do is scratch your head. 

I think it offers further affirmation about Jimmie's and Joe's being more important.....in my opinion significantly more important.....than scheme.

3 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

Do you see something that proves otherwise? Iowa loses their 4-year starting average qb, Wiscy probably loses Jtaylor, then Minnesota (whom I still don't believe in) Illinois, Indiana and Purdue, all teams we should've beaten this year except for Minny.

Either way we have no idea of the gains the team will make in the off season so to laugh at the thought that we would be contending for the west next year is simply idiotic.

Thanks for playing though.

I'm not agreeing with the other guy but cant you basically say something like this every year about Nebraska football? Iowa and Wisconsin are always losing someone important and we are always expecting Nebraska to be better next season.

I see where both of you are coming from.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

18 hours ago, TheSker said:

I think it offers further affirmation about Jimmie's and Joe's being more important.....in my opinion significantly more important.....than scheme.

That would also advance the theory that Callahan was a better recruiter than Bo.

It would also suggest a 2007 team loaded with Suh, Crick, Asante, Amukamurah, Dillard, Grixby, and Ruud, couldn''t Jimmie and Joe themselves above the #115th defense in the NCAA.

Likewise many of the same NFL worthy Jimmies and Joes must have done something different to vault 114 places up the ranks over the next two seasons. Didn't Pelini make that difference? And as mentioned, there were still some pretty solid Jimmies and Joes on the 2011-2012 teams, when things quickly slid back down.  

There's definitely a talent gap that keeps Nebraska for competing against the football elite, but the reason Husker defenses can look good in some games and quarters and not others is because opposing coaches figure out our schemes and strategies, while Nebraska continues on the same disastrous course. Motivating the Jimmies and Joes you have and benching players for lazy technique is also part of coaching. 

I seem to remember reporters questioning Pelini on the increasingly poor defensive performances, and Bo saying something about the suggested scheme changes being too difficult for his players to learn. That feels like the lingering problem right there. Somebody has to push this defense out of the status quo. 

18 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In 2011, when the defense quickly went south, Bo still had guys like Will Compton, Jared Crick, Lavonte David, Daniel Davie, Alfonzo Dennard, Ciante Evans, Sean Fisher, Eric Martin, Cam Merideth, Josh Mitchell, Damion Stafford, Baker Steinkuhler, and others. That sounds better than the guys we have today, but that's also when the not-so-blackshirt era started. 

Baker was a waste at DL...he could have been AA at OL

13 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Baker was a waste at DL...he could have been AA at OL

I often think about that......Unsure if he was 100% with the switch.  Did well on the DL, but like you said.  What could he have been on the OL...

I still remember Camstash sliding inside due to injuries.......Still feel bad for him.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That would also advance the theory that Callahan was a better recruiter than Bo.

It would also suggest a 2007 team loaded with Suh, Crick, Asante, Amukamurah, Dillard, Grixby, and Ruud, couldn''t Jimmie and Joe themselves above the #115th defense in the NCAA.

Likewise many of the same NFL worthy Jimmies and Joes must have done something different to vault 114 places up the ranks over the next two seasons. Didn't Pelini make that difference? And as mentioned, there were still some pretty solid Jimmies and Joes on the 2011-2012 teams, when things quickly slid back down.  

There's definitely a talent gap that keeps Nebraska for competing against the football elite, but the reason Husker defenses can look good in some games and quarters and not others is because opposing coaches figure out our schemes and strategies, while Nebraska continues on the same disastrous course. Motivating the Jimmies and Joes you have and benching players for lazy technique is also part of coaching. 

I seem to remember reporters questioning Pelini on the increasingly poor defensive performances, and Bo saying something about the suggested scheme changes being too difficult for his players to learn. That feels like the lingering problem right there. Somebody has to push this defense out of the status quo. 

I agree that Cally was a great recruiter.  Bo was able to develop that talent.  I think he had issues getting the talent Cally brought in.  I also think there is a direct link in BO's D going down when Carl and Marvin left.....At least that's what I recall.

Had Cally brought in a legit DC, things might have been different for him and NU....

54 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Two things here.....

This is not a "loaded" D.  Crick was redshirted in 2007....so no.  I don't believe Amukamara switched to D until Pelini arrived.  And 2007 was Bo Ruud, not Barrett.

So no, 2007 was not loaded with Jimmie's and Joe's.

I honestly don’t believe that we are so low on talent on defense. I simply believe that Chin has not been able to coach these guys to execute what he thinks he wants from them. Let us face it, the defense always looks confused and there are gaping holes in many key locations in the field. If it sounds like a horse and looks like a horse, it is a horse and not a zebra. With the same token, I refuse to believe that all our players on defense are talentless. It is up to the coach to get them ready and simplify the play book for them.

• Fire 1