Defensive Play

Undone

26 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I honestly don’t believe that we are so low on talent on defense. I simply believe that Chin has not been able to coach these guys to execute what he thinks he wants from them. Let us face it, the defense always looks confused and there are gaping holes in many key locations in the field. If it sounds like a horse and looks like a horse, it is a horse and not a zebra. With the same token, I refuse to believe that all our players on defense are talentless. It is up to the coach to get them ready and simplify the play book for them.

Sorry, but...

Mo Barry, composite .8397

Collin Miller, composite .8496 @ OLB.

Alex Davis, composite .8058.

DiCapario Bootle, composite .8280.

The older players on the field have not developed well, and people really need to realize other than Lamar that there isn’t a single composite 4 star who honestly will probably play safety in the nfl.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

Sorry, but...

The older players on the field have not developed well, and people really need to realize other than Lamar that there isn’t a single composite 4 star who honestly will probably play safety in the nfl.

Those ratings aren't any lower than guys at Iowa, Minn, or Wiscy. 

• Haha 2
30 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

Sorry, but...

As another poster stated, these ratings are in par with our competition. So, the only difference here is that other coaches have been able to get more out of their players than Chin. You can ignore that fact all you want but it is the truth and many on this board believe that.

1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

As another poster stated, these ratings are in par with our competition. So, the only difference here is that other coaches have been able to get more out of their players than Chin. You can ignore that fact all you want but it is the truth and many on this board believe that.

They've also had Diaco and Banker.

10 hours ago, Danimal said:

Those ratings aren't any lower than guys at Iowa, Minn, or Wiscy. 

Just checking the average recruit rating of the starting LBs for those three teams, Iowa's are .8412, Minnesota's are .8472, and Wisconsin's are .8584. So Colin Miller would be the only one on @CalhounHusker's list that even meets the lowest of those three averages.

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, Toe said:

Just checking the average recruit rating of the starting LBs for those three teams, Iowa's are .8412, Minnesota's are .8472, and Wisconsin's are .8584. So Colin Miller would be the only one on @CalhounHusker's list that even meets the lowest of those three averages.

I wonder if those ratings actually mean something? I bet they're just a guess from some guys who feel like they have to put out some kind of report in order to keep their job.
I rate them according to what I see them do on the field. If they run up and smack somebody, that's One Smacker for Magillicuddy.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Interesting note from Pro Football Focus' grades from yesterday.

Mo Barry played by far his lowest snap count of the year (to some extent aided by Maryland's ineptitude on offense and the reserves playing a lot).  He played 21 snaps.  Previous low was 42 against Illinois. 

It was also by far his highest grade this season.  He graded out at 90.5, which is very good.  His average over the previous five games was 52.9.

So that would seem to be a very good adjustment by the staff to use him more in situations where he could do well and minimize the situations where he might struggle (cue the "about time" complaints).

• Plus1 4
17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Interesting note from Pro Football Focus' grades from yesterday.

Mo Barry played by far his lowest snap count of the year (to some extent aided by Maryland's ineptitude on offense and the reserves playing a lot).  He played 21 snaps.  Previous low was 42 against Illinois. 

It was also by far his highest grade this season.  He graded out at 90.5, which is very good.  His average over the previous five games was 52.9.

So that would seem to be a very good adjustment by the staff to use him more in situations where he could do well and minimize the situations where he might struggle (cue the "about time" complaints).

What's kind of funny is the two plays I remember from him against Maryland were in pass coverage, and I would not consider that a strength of his. But he made both plays, so I'll definitely take it!

18 hours ago, Mavric said:

Agreed.

The staff has taken some shots by some fans (especially on offense) for not playing true freshmen more this season. I'm happy everybody has redshirted that has had the opportunity to do so. I think there's talent at LB and as long as those young guys can be motivated, we're going to be fine.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

The staff has taken some shots by some fans (especially on offense) for not playing true freshmen more this season. I'm happy everybody has redshirted that has had the opportunity to do so. I think there's talent at LB and as long as those young guys can be motivated, we're going to be fine.

You keep on bringing up true freshmen when it comes to discussing the LB's, but which freshmen LB's should be playing more?  

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You keep on bringing up true freshmen when it comes to discussing the LB's, but which freshmen LB's should be playing more?  

No, I must not have phrased that post well because that's not what I meant. I don't think any of them should have played more. I think we've got some more talented players in the ranks that'll contribute and make us a better defense next year.

• Plus1 1