Defensive Play

Undone

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

No, I must not have phrased that post well because that's not what I meant. I don't think any of them should have played more. I think we've got some more talented players in the ranks that'll contribute and make us a better defense next year.

Sounds good.  I probably  misread your post as well.  I am looking forward to the young talent developing and playing in the next few years.

• Plus1 1

On 11/23/2019 at 2:28 PM, TheSker said:

You want our 4th new DC in 5 years?

I could have picked from a number of posts to quote to jump into the middle of the discussion on our recruiting rankings of our current blackshirts and I just happened to pick yours, 'Sker.

I'm not answering for Danimal, but my answer is an emphatic "no," I don't want that. My only comment is that either the recruiting rankings are important or they're not. They get used on this site to fit narratives one way or the other. 

An example for me here is Caleb Tannor. Kid had a great grade coming out of high school. And maybe those grades are influenced by who's recruiting him...but still, would Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia have gone after him if he didn't have great potential? I really doubt it. His score on 24/7 Sports is a .8958. Is there not a difference between him and Alex Davis, both now and also perceptively when they had both just graduated high school?

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not answering for Danimal, but my answer is an emphatic "no," I don't want that. My only comment is that either the recruiting rankingsare important or they're not. They get used on this site to fit narratives one way or the other. 

My thought would be of course recruiting rankings are important, they just aren't the only factor.

I absolutely want Frost and the staff to bring in highly rated recruits.

It might have been Duval that said it, I don't remember......but there was something said along the lines of Frosts job is to recruit a more talented replacement, it's Duval's job to help the current player not get beat out.

So why has Tannor not performed to hopes?  I have no idea......

59 minutes ago, Undone said:

I could have picked from a number of posts to quote to jump into the middle of the discussion on our recruiting rankings of our current blackshirts and I just happened to pick yours, 'Sker.

I'm not answering for Danimal, but my answer is an emphatic "no," I don't want that. My only comment is that either the recruiting rankings are important or they're not. They get used on this site to fit narratives one way or the other. 

An example for me here is Caleb Tannor. Kid had a great grade coming out of high school. And maybe those grades are influenced by who's recruiting him...but still, would Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia have gone after him if he didn't have great potential? I really doubt it. His score on 24/7 Sports is a .8958. Is there not a difference between him and Alex Davis, both now and also perceptively when they had both just graduated high school?

The biggest difference between Tannor and Davis are age and size.  Tannor just turned 20, he's 6'2" and 220 lbs.  Davis is 23, 6'5 and 250 lbs.  Tannor doesn't have the size to play the same position as Davis, that's why Garrett Nelson at 6'3 and 260 lbs is the top backup to Davis.  Tannor is mainly a weakside OLB and situational pass rusher.  When the D goes Nickel, which it has done a lot as the base defense, Domann is the nickel LB.  Tannor's position isn't really on the field very much.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The biggest difference between Tannor and Davis are age and size.  Tannor just turned 20, he's 6'2" and 220 lbs.  Davis is 23, 6'5 and 250 lbs.  Tannor doesn't have the size to play the same position as Davis, that's why Garrett Nelson at 6'3 and 260 lbs is the top backup to Davis.  Tannor is mainly a weakside OLB and situational pass rusher.  When the D goes Nickel, which it has done a lot as the base defense, Domann is the nickel LB.  Tannor's position isn't really on the field very much.

Yeah I'm aware of their physical size differences. I should have picked a different guy to compare Tannor to. Was more referring to perceived athletic ability after high school graduation.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

What are you trying to say here? Yes Tannor is a better prospect than Davis then and now.

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah I'm aware of their physical size differences. I should have picked a different guy to compare Tannor to. Was more referring to perceived athletic ability after high school graduation.

Domann and Pernell Jefferson are basically the only other guys with Tannor's size at their position.  Domann plays ahead of Tannor because he is more versatile in pass coverage.  Tannor really can only be used as a situational, speed pass rusher.  In this defense, Tannor is a tough fit to play a lot.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

What are you trying to say here? Yes Tannor is a better prospect than Davis then and now.

Tannor and Davis shouldn't be compared, because they play 2 different positions.  Technically, they are both OLB's, but Davis plays the strong side OLB, going against opposing TE's, while Tannor is a weak side OLB, operating in more space.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Domann and Pernell Jefferson are basically the only other guys with Tannor's size at their position.  Domann plays ahead of Tannor because he is more versatile in pass coverage.  Tannor really can only be used as a situational, speed pass rusher.  In this defense, Tannor is a tough fit to play a lot.

Right now maybe but Tannor has the tools to be an impact player in this defense. He is still only a sophmore, I think he can develop into a special player

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Tannor and Davis shouldn't be compared, because they play 2 different positions.  Technically, they are both OLB's, but Davis plays the strong side OLB, going against opposing TE's, while Tannor is a weak side OLB, operating in more space.

That is true but I just don't understand the point trying to be made either way.

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Right now maybe but Tannor has the tools to be an impact player in this defense. He is still only a sophmore, I think he can develop into a special player

But if the WLB is the first defender taken off the field when NU goes into Nickel, Tannor won't play much.  That does change sometimes when Chin goes with a 4-2-5 in passing situations, and Tannor can be used as an edge rusher.

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

What you just said was the long and short of the punchline, Nebfanatic. Just a quick exercise to stop and take a quick sanity check and confirm whether or not the recruiting rankings actually matter.

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Agreed, and it seemed like he played more against Maryland - even before the backups were in. Could've had something to do with Nelson not being 100%, I know we've got the 2 different OLB positions but when we're down to Davis/Domann and no one else I imagine Tannor can play either. One thing with this staffs policy on injuries is it's hard to tell if that's been a factor in his overall lack of playing time.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

That is true but I just don't understand the point trying to be made either way.

I don't know what Undone's original point was supposed to do, but he was comparing Alex Davis and Tannor.  IMO, they shouldn't be compared to each other because they play totally different positions.  It's like trying to compare Grant Wistrom to Terrell Farley.

• Plus1 1