Defensive Play

Undone

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I liked what I saw on defense on Saturday.  As some have said, it's one game and that doesn't make a trend.  If you remember last year, we saw a lot of pass rush and sacks in the CU game (7 sacks)....only to have them disappear the rest of the season.

HOPEFULLY, they don't disappear this year.

Amen. I am hoping for pressure from all angles. Make it a guessing game for the QBs. Truly be multiple in the attack. 

Seems like Ike they got burned by CU last year and went into a defensive shell. 

On 9/4/2019 at 8:10 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I liked what I saw on defense on Saturday.  As some have said, it's one game and that doesn't make a trend.  If you remember last year, we saw a lot of pass rush and sacks in the CU game (7 sacks)....only to have them disappear the rest of the season.

HOPEFULLY, they don't disappear this year.

When you play teams that are well coached and with some talent things get more difficult. 

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Naa....not buying it. We played some teams equal or worse to CU and the defense wasn’t the same. 

Colorado's line was atrocious last year, and I'm skeptical of their "improvement" this year. I'm sure they're a bit better, but no sacks given up to CSU on ~20 dropbacks isn't terribly impressive for anyone, that's the expectation. I think Chins will let the D loose and we'll get some decent pressure. They actually appear to have a running game this year which makes them a little scarier, but I think they'll have to throw and we just have to cover long enough for blitzes to affect the throw.

So in the first half, our defense and Chinander have to get huge props for shutting down their deep threats. You almost couldn't have asked for better scheme and play in the first half.

What I saw out there in the second half was that Colorado made huge adjustments on offense and starting throwing quick passes out wide. We got out-coached and out-athlete'd on those plays. 

That last touchdown throw that Montez had was honestly just an amazing throw. I can't be upset with Jackson on that play; he was right there but the throw was money.

Where I'm pissed is that they stretched us out wide and we couldn't contain them. They started having huge success on first downs and then they just kept moving the chains, our offense started to suck, and then our defense got gassed. 

• Plus1 1
On 9/8/2019 at 10:06 AM, Undone said:

So in the first half, our defense and Chinander have to get huge props for shutting down their deep threats. You almost couldn't have asked for better scheme and play in the first half.

What I saw out there in the second half was that Colorado made huge adjustments on offense and starting throwing quick passes out wide. We got out-coached and out-athlete'd on those plays. 

That last touchdown throw that Montez had was honestly just an amazing throw. I can't be upset with Jackson on that play; he was right there but the throw was money.

Where I'm pissed is that they stretched us out wide and we couldn't contain them. They started having huge success on first downs and then they just kept moving the chains, our offense started to suck, and then our defense got gassed. 

It just sucks that the biggest adjustment they made was get the ball to their guy one on one and force us to tackle. I feel like that's what our offense is supposed to be, because it works. A lot of over pursuit and just whiffing in the second half, we clean that up and they don't get close. I actually like the scheme more and more, we just can't blow coverages looking for a safety and we have to at least slow guys down one on one even if you can't make the tackle.

To their credit, it was a combination of gutsy play calling, getting the ball to their athletes, and a couple incredible throws from Montez. I would say he couldn't make that throw again if you gave him 10 attempts, but I said the same about his TD last year so obviously he can. Jackson even got a finger on it I think, but that's just perfect placement. And I wish we had a back like Fontenot - I'd still take Washington for this offense, but that physical slasher style is something I wish we had.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

And I wish we had a back like Fontenot - I'd still take Washington for this offense, but that physical slasher style is something I wish we had.

Totally agree. I'd still take Washington as the starter but we need that Rex Burkhead kind of workhorse that slams in there on inside zones.

Will be interesting to see if Mills evolves over the course of the season. I think he could.

Northern Illinois only ran for 74 yards. Our 5-2 front is pretty stout against the run.

I'll go back and rewatch the game but in real-time it seemed like in the second half they exploited that 5-2 scheme by throwing slants/seam routes right on top of the vacant spot where you'd normally have that third backer. Not entirely sure on that but will go back and look closer. 

Carlos Davis and Alex Davis are two really underrated guys this year. I think Alex is doing a lot of work that just doesn't get seen; he's a big strong body that's hard to block.

JoJo is a man on fire. Holy crow that kid is out there to kick some @$$. 

• Plus1 1