Defensive Play

Undone

So on the rewatch, here's what I'm seeing.

We seemed to be lined up more in what you'd think of as a Nickel formation for big chunks of the game. Here's Illinois' last touchdown of the game:

I don't get this at all, and it's pretty upsetting honestly. Ball's on the 10. They're only lined up three guys wide with two guys in the backfield. Why is this a Nickel setup for us? Hate to say this but that's pretty stupid IMO.

You only have two linebackers staying home in a scenario where a run is extremely likely. JoJo's basically the nickelback manning up against their slot guy to the left...but we need that m'fer staying home to hunt down the ball. Really frustrating.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

So on the rewatch, here's what I'm seeing.

We seemed to be lined up more in what you'd think of as a Nickel formation for big chunks of the game. Here's Illinois' last touchdown of the game:

I don't get this at all, and it's pretty upsetting honestly. Ball's on the 10. They're only lined up three guys wide with two guys in the backfield. Why is this a Nickel setup for us? Hate to say this but that's pretty stupid IMO.

You only have two linebackers staying home in a scenario where a run is extremely likely. JoJo's basically the nickelback manning up against their slot guy to the left...but we need that m'fer staying home to hunt down the ball. Really frustrating.

I see what you're saying, but Ferguson and Barry bite hard on the read there. There is no way Ferguson should be crashing that hard on the RB. Barry is a bit more understandable, but he flows too hard as well as the backside ILB. If those guys stay home they probably stop him at the line or for a loss. Guessing Illinois had seen Ferguson crashing hard earlier and keyed on it.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I see what you're saying, but Ferguson and Barry bite hard on the read there. There is no way Ferguson should be crashing that hard on the RB. Barry is a bit more understandable, but he flows too hard as well as the backside ILB. If those guys stay home they probably stop him at the line or for a loss. Guessing Illinois had seen Ferguson crashing hard earlier and keyed on it.

My main concern is that Wisconsin will rush for 300+ if we line up & play like that.

• Plus1 1

Our DBs make me nervous for this game and going forward. Haven't been good tackling this season. When Corbin ripped off the long TD run everyone was taking the inside and Dismuke whiffed on the tackle because he didn't pinch down. Barry had some cement feet as well. What was most disappointing was Jackson's "attempt" of a tackle - didn't even lay a hand on him. 

image.png.7af05b37ed22dc93f1357355e746eb6a.png

image.png.5600bd3d2e051a083face52b0952646c.png

@BIG ERN Yeah. Safety was a big concern heading into the season. I think having Williams out hurts but it's just still a spot where we seem to struggle and have a hard time getting over the hump. Cam plays pretty consistently well.

Hate to say this but we aren't really built to stop Ohio State. They've kind of morphed into an "air it out" type of spread offense. I know Chinander likes versatility and he definitely seems to be getting his scheme to where he wants it. Our 3 down linemen scheme gives us a lot of good things in this game because then you can have JoJo as a nickel guy but our strengths probably lie more in our front 7 when we defend the run.

Not a good matchup for us in this one, nevermind the disparities in our two teams' outcomes.