Can a lowly Vol fan please be a Husker?

vpshelton

On 8/31/2019 at 6:40 PM, vpshelton said:

I have always admired the Huskers and what the program stands for in all aspects; I'm too old to watch the crap in Knoxville. Can I come aboard and follow the Huskers? Please?

Be proud of being a Vols fan.

This story made me cry.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/09/09/fourth-grader-was-teased-his-homemade-university-tennessee-logo-then-ut-made-his-drawing-into-real-shirt/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/university-tennessee-offers-admission-year-scholarship-young-vol/story?id=65561186

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Red Dead Redemption said:

This has been an awesome and inspiring story over the past couple of weeks, and I even think the shirt looks pretty cool. But now I'm starting to have questions...

So, the kids gets bullied for his homemade shirt. Teachers notice, UT becomes aware, and they send him a bunch of cool swag. That right there is awesome. A great gesture and a good outcome for the kid. 

Then they take his design and make a real shirt for sale, with proceeds going to anti-bullying efforts. That is remarkable; above and beyond. Fantastic job by UT. That would have been a great end to the story.

But now he gets a scholarship offer...what? I hope this doesn't make me sound like a dick, but they've already done the right thing, a great thing even, but does this seem to anyone else like piling on? A disproportionate response at this point? What's next, he gets to coach the team?

6 minutes ago, Ulty said:

This has been an awesome and inspiring story over the past couple of weeks, and I even think the shirt looks pretty cool. But now I'm starting to have questions...

So, the kids gets bullied for his homemade shirt. Teachers notice, UT becomes aware, and they send him a bunch of cool swag. That right there is awesome. A great gesture and a good outcome for the kid. 

Then they take his design and make a real shirt for sale, with proceeds going to anti-bullying efforts. That is remarkable; above and beyond. Fantastic job by UT. That would have been a great end to the story.

But now he gets a scholarship offer...what? I hope this doesn't make me sound like a dick, but they've already done the right thing, a great thing even, but does this seem to anyone else like piling on? A disproportionate response at this point? What's next, he gets to coach the team?

I hear ya.

One starts to question, is UT doing for themselves as much as they are the boy? Pat themselves on the back? Virtue signalling?

I dunno. Maybe the family's socioeconomic status justifies the extra help.

Or maybe they are deliberately going over the top to put an exclamation point on how bad it is to bully.

I dunno.

I'm not going to think about that for a while.

I'm just going to enjoy the feel-good parts of the story for the time being. :)

On 9/13/2019 at 10:16 AM, Ulty said:

The cynical side of me thinks they just want to distract from the football team and change the subject to something good for the brand. Happy for the kid of course. 

1 hour ago, vpshelton said:

It is a great gesture by the University, but it is hard to clear the stench of 10 terrible years. No program can have a bad AD and coaching hires.... UT did both 3 times, which is why they are so bad.

I was hoping y'all would beat Florida but it doesnt look promising.  

On 9/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, vpshelton said:

It is a great gesture by the University, but it is hard to clear the stench of 10 terrible years. No program can have a bad AD and coaching hires.... UT did both 3 times, which is why they are so bad.

We've done our best to do the same around here.  Finally got our guy and a good AD, but we had to clean house in the upper administration to get Frost here.