Offensive Play

I’ve been thinking and assumed a couple of things

1. Our offense will get better, we were one of many teams who looked pretty dang rough yesterday 

2. Our defense is definitely improving 

3. Our team as a whole is improving on learning how to win. Last year we would have found a way to lose that game.

4. I think we were too hopeful that we’d seen a huge improvement like what UCF had, but it’s alot harder at at a big ten school facing the competition will we see them a school in the American Conference and we’re probably not there quite yet

5. Calm down, don’t overreact, and trust the process. Alabama and Clemson weren’t built in a season and neither will we be, but it’s definitely coming 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

4. I think we were too hopeful that we’d seen a huge improvement like what UCF had, but it’s alot harder at at a big ten school facing the competition will we see them a school in the American Conference and we’re probably not there quite yet

Um, South Alabama and the rest of the off-season schedule are really nothing compared to the B1G we will face.  If anything, it all points for me that the core aspects of mental attitude and sound fundamental football are still outside of the grasp for this team through the first game.  More to be revealed in this next week.  We will have a good idea of what we have playing a team like Colorado who we say is not a rival (but those same people hate so much).

24 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Wouldn't it be easier to assemble talent at a Power 5 school than UCF?  When the idea of hiring Frost came up I remember looking at UCFs list of 2 and 3 star recruits.  If you wanted to argue getting the same number of wins in the B1G is more difficult than AAC I could agree.  What most people are probably struggling with is that the team we saw on Saturday would most likely lose badly to the 2017 UCF team which was two years removed from going winless and with far less talented recruits.  Shouldn't we at least be able to improve to that level?  I know Reilly drove the program off a cliff but gees, at some point you just have to start thinking something is terribly wrong in Lincoln.  Our facilities, coaches, S&C staff, fan support and academic support are all excellent.  What's left?

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Undone said:

If I had to fill in the blank in this sentence:

"Frost's scheme is predicated by ________."

then I probably wouldn't choose "offensive line pulling." I'd go with "the quarterback making the right reads." Really hard to focus in on the reads when your eyes have to go up into the air and your feet have to leave the field to catch a high snap. It's hard to convey just how big of a deal that was yesterday. We might have actually scored an extra 7 points if every snap had hit him in the numbers.

I thought the spread of 36 was way too high and didn't think we'd cover that. We also missed a field goal that we should have made. 

They pull like crazy, they do a lot of influence blocks or sometimes they are called "wrong pulls".  It is a pain in the a$$ to get your eyes in the right place for your keys.  I am sure there are lots of coaches on this site, I would ask them, do the coaches that do post here even bother to read guards anymore?

I am very interested in seeing the chip on the shoulder of the o-line in Colorado.  Within every team there are two teams, well three with special teams, but they are always an inbreeding mixture of starters, backups, walk-ons and both sides of the ball.  

What I am talking about is the offense and defense are distinct entities on any team.  It will be made PAINFULLY clear that the defense and special teams carried all the weight yesterday for the offense.  Practices will be intense and they will be constantly reminded that not only did the defense have to stop the other team, they had to do the scoring. The offense will be told they won't get a day off in a while because they had one Saturday.   Trust me, it motivates and ticks you off more than one might think as the competition and pride between the two sides of the ball is intense.  SF will challenge their will and their toughness this week.  Whether they respond is up to them.  

Yes, AM had a bad game and exactly why remains unclear, but being able to run to set up the pass is critical and they just got pushed around on Saturday.   That impacts timing, momentum, confidence and play calling.  The kids in Boulder are not elite, but they will be another tier compared to the Jags.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Gorillahawk said:

5. Calm down, don’t overreact, and trust the process. Alabama and Clemson weren’t built in a season and neither will we be, but it’s definitely coming 

Clemson wasn’t, but Alabama was definitely built in a season.

2006 (Shula) 6-7

2007 (Saban) 7-6

2008 (Saban) 12-2; 12-0 regular season

5 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I rewatched part of the gamed last night.  Jaimes pulled on one play and was blown up by a linebacker.  I was thinking how can that possibly not result in the LB getting planted on his a$$.  It was Jaimes that almost got planted.  I can see why Jurgens is considered a good blocker because he can position his body between the defender and presumably where the running back should go and he's good at keeping the defender from getting around him.  Like the rest of the OL, he gets no push which appears to be related to how they are taught to block.  They squat with a wide stance and not much forward lean allowing them to move laterally but doesn't allow them to get a push and sometimes they have difficulty not getting pushed back.  It's almost looks like they are blocking for pass protection.  The announcer said we weren't getting a push but it seemed like our guys weren't trying to move the LOS as much as finessing defenders out of the way.  At the goal line after 1 or more failed running attempts they fired off and moved people back and Mills was able to score.

I noticed this too. On the shirt TDs and on one of the short third or fourth down conversions it seemed like suddenly our o line drove people backwards. So is there some reason in Frost's offense we don't blow guys backward? 

6 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I rewatched part of the gamed last night.  Jaimes pulled on one play and was blown up by a linebacker.  I was thinking how can that possibly not result in the LB getting planted on his a$$.  It was Jaimes that almost got planted. 

I'll bet you anything that linebacker doesn't do 1/4 squats.

• Haha 1