Offensive Play

26 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I noticed this too. On the shirt TDs and on one of the short third or fourth down conversions it seemed like suddenly our o line drove people backwards. So is there some reason in Frost's offense we don't blow guys backward? 

Depends on what the play is. If you need a yard, then just drive block straight ahead to get a little space. 

If we are running an inside zone, then it’s about combo blocking the first level and quickly getting to the second level. That first level block is just about angling the defender such that the RB can get a read on where to run. We didn’t maintain these blocks well at all, making things difficult on our backs.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Depends on what the play is. If you need a yard, then just drive block straight ahead to get a little space. 

If we are running an inside zone, then it’s about combo blocking the first level and quickly getting to the second level. That first level block is just about angling the defender such that the RB can get a read on where to run. We didn’t maintain these blocks well at all, making things difficult on our backs.

Good to know, thanks! 

24 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I noticed this too. On the shirt TDs and on one of the short third or fourth down conversions it seemed like suddenly our o line drove people backwards. So is there some reason in Frost's offense we don't blow guys backward? 

I'm not a OL coach but it seemed like in the good old days the line would push the LOS back 2 or 3 yards guaranteeing we would rarely lose yards on inside runs.  I thought this kind of blocking made sense if it was a quick hitter where you just need to move the guy out of the way for a short time but with the small holes they were creating and the lack of a push it seemed way to easy for the LB to fill and Mills was only going to make a couple of yards no matter what he did.  I believe the announcer said the USA defensive linemen were shorter, getting lower then our OL and standing them up.  It's going to be a long year if Austin can't sort this out.

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I thought this kind of blocking made sense if it was a quick hitter where you just need to move the guy out of the way for a short time but with the small holes they were creating and the lack of a push it seemed way to easy for the LB to fill and Mills was only going to make a couple of yards no matter what he did. 

On something like an inside zone, which we ran much of the day, there shouldn’t be a LB to fill because they should be blocked. We just didn’t maintain blocks all day and that extends to receivers and tight ends, too. For whatever reason, our defense came with a ton of energy and our offense just didn’t.

Outside of the center position, did we rotate any lineman? I just don't understand forcing Jurgens into action after an injury. It sort of feels he was thrust into the starting position instead of earning it, but maybe he did in fact earn it. 

In my opinion, Nebraska's best O-line are these 5- Jameis, Hixon, Raridon, Wilson, M Farniok. However, I am not sure any of those guys can adapt and play center. Tanner Farmer was able to last year though. Next would be Bando, W. Farniok, Jurgens, Sichterman, Benhart. 

Losing Gaylord prevented us from moving Farniok to guard with more confidence. Benhart is not ready just yet. This coaching staff knows a lot more than I do but last year the offense took off once we made an adjustment to the center position and it feels the same could happen this year. The good news is it is only one game and we can figure that out as the season goes on. 

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Outside of the center position, did we rotate any lineman? I just don't understand forcing Jurgens into action after an injury. It sort of feels he was thrust into the starting position instead of earning it, but maybe he did in fact earn it. 

In my opinion, Nebraska's best O-line are these 5- Jameis, Hixon, Raridon, Wilson, M Farniok. However, I am not sure any of those guys can adapt and play center. Tanner Farmer was able to last year though. Next would be Bando, W. Farniok, Jurgens, Sichterman, Benhart. 

Losing Gaylord prevented us from moving Farniok to guard with more confidence. Benhart is not ready just yet. This coaching staff knows a lot more than I do but last year the offense took off once we made an adjustment to the center position and it feels the same could happen this year. The good news is it is only one game and we can figure that out as the season goes on. 

Have I missed some extended playing time for Raridon that would give you (or any of us) any idea if he was one of our five best linemen?

31 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'll bet you anything that linebacker doesn't do 1/4 squats.

He looked like a 1/4 squat guy but had some magical counter-defense to lumbering marshmallows.  It was bizarre.  Here comes Jaimes down the line, doesn't trip over his feet, doesn't look too motivated but has a little bit of speed, he turns into the line and has this LB in his sights.  The view is blocked but you know it's going to be good and expect to see LB feathers flying in pancake city.  Nope, the next thing you see is Jaimes reeling.  Found it

Something I did not get was Wyatt Mazour does not have that second gear that I have seen in his time at Nebraska. I believe Rahmir Johnson has the gear he does not have. Or Miles Jones for that matter could fill it in better. Despite this, Mazour may show more consistency and that may be the reason he is out there. 

Advanced issues found

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Have I missed some extended playing time for Raridon that would give you (or any of us) any idea if he was one of our five best linemen?

Not really, it is mostly a toss-up between him and W. Farniok. I chose Raridon because he has paid his dues. Whereas W. Farniok has been here very shortly. I also think Hixon would fit at center better than Raridon in the 5 I put up there. Jurgens is a forced O-lineman who after the first game, showed he is not ready yet in my eyes. I also think W. Farniok and his unit could have done a lot better with more of a rhythm. But they were completely stagnant and couldn't get much going. 

So reworked best 5 with W. Farniok- Jaimes, Hixon, W. Farniok, Wilson, M. Farniok

Best 5 with Raridon- Jaimes, Raridon, Hixon, Wilson, M. Farniok

9 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

https://hailvarsity.com/s/7611/dont-fret-over-the-offense-adrian-martinez-was-just-off

Decent breakdown here that gives some good insight on the struggles. 

Pretty much agree with that. We just played bad, and when that includes your QB, it becomes really bad. We don’t have a center, and a 3rd year starting center isn’t just walking into practice to fix that. Other than that, it’s not like there are major issues with the offense.

Curious what the offensive coaches will say this week, particularly Held because he won’t hold back. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Clemson wasn’t, but Alabama was definitely built in a season.

2006 (Shula) 6-7

2007 (Saban) 7-6

2008 (Saban) 12-2; 12-0 regular season

Yeah, in one year Saban took Alabama from .500 to undefeated, ranked #1, and wins against #10 Georgia and #15 Ole Miss :lol:

12 hours ago, brophog said:

Pretty much agree with that. We just played bad, and when that includes your QB, it becomes really bad. We don’t have a center, and a 3rd year starting center isn’t just walking into practice to fix that. Other than that, it’s not like there are major issues with the offense.

Watching those clips pointed out one major thing: 2AM missed a lot of check-downs and underneath routes, which is something he didn't particularly struggle with last year.