Offensive Play

Just now, suh_fan93 said:

I'd like to see what Thompkins can do as well and that's no slight to Mills.

I think we will definitely see him in a few contests, how much will be dependent on how much they can trust the guys ahead of him. If Mills pulls a Bell I think we will need Thompkins to play often. If Mills starts seeing the daylight Thompkins will get a few opportunities but in a much more reserved role.

If the run game doesn’t work, then N needed to execute the passing game better. It wasn’t just A-Mart missing passes, such as when he overthrew Robinson in the end zone. He failed to find open receivers like Mike Williams on that interception. For whatever reason, he locked in on his intended receivers instead of looking the whole field. A-Mart executes his passes like he normally does, he forces USA to spread out. USA gambled that making Nebraska pass would give the Jaguars a chance to win. And it did work, but easily at the same time, it would had backfired if A-Mart was sharp as usual, even with the OL problems. 

1 minute ago, Pedro G said:

If the run game doesn’t work, then N needed to execute the passing game better. It wasn’t just A-Mart missing passes, such as when he overthrew Robinson in the end zone. He failed to find open receivers like Mike Williams on that interception. For whatever reason, he locked in on his intended receivers instead of looking the whole field. A-Mart executes his passes like he normally does, he forces USA to spread out. USA gambled that making Nebraska pass would give the Jaguars chance to win. And it did work, but easily at the same time, it would had backfired if A-Mart was sharp as usual, even with the OL problems. 

And, there's a chance that if 2AM was hitting on all cylinders, it would have made the OL job easier.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I saw a quote from the USA coach saying he watched all 12 games of Nebraska from last year. I think it's safe to assume he was coming into this game trying to throw everything he could at beating Nebraska and making a name for himself down there. Doesn't excuse our performance, but I don't doubt they came into this game as motivated and planned as possible to beat a Power 5 team.

...as opposed to Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa who only watch half of the available film on us and throw something less than everything they can at beating us?

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

...as opposed to Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa who only watch half of the available film on us and throw something less than everything they can at beating us?

I get what you're saying, but the way the coach said it made it sound out of the ordinary. He said he watched all 12 games all summer. It made it sound like he was specifically putting more time into prepping for the Nebraska game. Could be totally wrong it was just the way he said it.

47 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I get what you're saying, but the way the coach said it made it sound out of the ordinary. He said he watched all 12 games all summer. It made it sound like he was specifically putting more time into prepping for the Nebraska game. Could be totally wrong it was just the way he said it.

Makes sense.  Knocking off one of the big boys would be one heck of a confidence boost so worth it for a coach to put in extraordinary effort.  I doubt Frost was similarly focused on USA.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

My wife's work friend's says her husband is convinced the Huskers held back the better part of their play book in the first game so as not to tip off Colorado.  We laughed.. but.... 

I doubt Frost intentially held back his playbook. However, I think it effectively worked out to not give CU film. I'm pretty sure the CU coach said they're basically tossing out last weekend's game and looking at last year because Saturday was not indicative of what the offense can do. 

• Fire 1