Offensive Play

9 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I doubt Frost intentially held back his playbook. However, I think it effectively worked out to not give CU film. I'm pretty sure the CU coach said they're basically tossing out last weekend's game and looking at last year because Saturday was not indicative of what the offense can do. 

"..Saturday was not indicative of what the offence can do."  Absulutely, the CU coach is right.  But the Buffs have to practice on what the Huskers tried to do, I'm thinking.  Also, after we laughed at the notion of Mr. Frost having his team play on fewer of their schemes and plays, I did begin to wonder if coaches still do that with a bigger game next on the schedule.  It seem like the old mistake of looking past a seeming unworthy opponent which can be risky.. but saving a few things just for Colorado doesn't seem totally out of the question.  I'm not really trying to make a case for that so much as just wondering.

28 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

If you watch the blocking on that play you see what some posters have been talking about as to why we aren't getting 'push'. The Olinemen aren't looking to push straight ahead, they just are trying to direct you away from where the play is going.

The ineligible man downfield rule might have something to do with it too.

• Plus1 3

26 minutes ago, FTW said:

We ran a bit of RPO last week. Imagine what's going to happen on a read like this going to Robinson? It could be an easy 6.

2AM, Wan'Dale and MoWa in the backfield.

Read Option look to one of the backs with 2AM and the other going the other way on the classic option look.

Deadly.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
41 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

The ineligible man downfield rule might have something to do with it too.

But even so, you see the lineman step to the side and get their asses pointed at the hole, letting the D line run upfield past the play a bit. They box out the running lane and force the defenders to take themselves out of the play. This style of blocking is more condusive to big plays because the people getting blocked can't get off their block into the hole to make a play like they could in a drive block situation. By the time they get off the block they are 5 yards from where the run is hitting.

Just imagine the play above if the backer covers Stoll. Huge run up the middle.

4 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

What I saw was Mills not following his blocks very well.

That fits with Jaimes comment that all 11 guys have to do their job and they can only control what they can control.  Looking at the game replay it didn't seem like the O-line was getting much push at all and there wasn't much of a hole for Mills to go through.  If the plays were actually RPO and the pass wasn't there then not getting a push could make sense because of the ineligible man downfield rule.  The one play where Jaimes pulled but got stuffed by a linebacker giving up 60 lbs seemed physically impossible.  If Jaimes didn't know the RB was given the ball, pulling up would make sense for a RPO.

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

That fits with Jaimes comment that all 11 guys have to do their job and they can only control what they can control.  Looking at the game replay it didn't seem like the O-line was getting much push at all and there wasn't much of a hole for Mills to go through.  If the plays were actually RPO and the pass wasn't there then not getting a push could make sense because of the ineligible man downfield rule.  The one play where Jaimes pulled but got stuffed by a linebacker giving up 60 lbs seemed physically impossible.  If Jaimes didn't know the RB was given the ball, pulling up would make sense for a RPO.

I'm pretty sure they do that style of blocking on regular runs too unless they are just trying to power for a yard.

28 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

But even so, you see the lineman step to the side and get their asses pointed at the hole, letting the D line run upfield past the play a bit. They box out the running lane and force the defenders to take themselves out of the play. This style of blocking is more condusive to big plays because the people getting blocked can't get off their block into the hole to make a play like they could in a drive block situation. By the time they get off the block they are 5 yards from where the run is hitting.

Just imagine the play above if the backer covers Stoll. Huge run up the middle.

I was going to say I don't follow what you're trying to say since if it was strictly a run play they should kind of block the way you are describing.  And then you posted this so then I was really confused.

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm pretty sure they do that style of blocking on regular runs too unless they are just trying to power for a yard.

Had the running back got the ball that was a 5-6 yard gain since the pulling tackle gets a good block and the opposite LB would have had to make the play.  I made this comment earlier in the week that on some of Mill's runs they didn't seem to be firing off the ball and moving the LOS.  In the old days we were almost guaranteed 4 yards a run.  The push was 2-3 yards and the RB carried a LB another 1-2 yards.  The push often created clutter that a linebacker would have to fight through.  Last week they seemed to be finessing defenders out of the way or as you described boxing out.  The LB quickly filled the hole and stuffed Mills for a 2 yard gain.  Looking at the Urb analysis it occurred to me that maybe those plays were actually a RPO and because of the ineligible man downfield rule they can't do much of a push.  There are 2 plays I was looking at very similar to what is in the Urb analysis except to the right.  Jaimes pulls and both times Mills gets the ball.  Jaimes gets stuffed by the linebacker in the first and in the second Jaimes doesn't lead through the hole Mills runs through and blocks to the outside.  I posted one of them earlier in this thread.  And of course, they had to take the video down so I can't look at the plays again.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I was going to say I don't follow what you're trying to say since if it was strictly a run play they should kind of block the way you are describing.  And then you posted this so then I was really confused.

Had the running back got the ball that was a 5-6 yard gain since the pulling tackle gets a good block and the opposite LB would have had to make the play.  I made this comment earlier in the week that on some of Mill's runs they didn't seem to be firing off the ball and moving the LOS.  In the old days we were almost guaranteed 4 yards a run.  The push was 2-3 yards and the RB carried a LB another 1-2 yards.  The push often created clutter that a linebacker would have to fight through.  Last week they seemed to be finessing defenders out of the way or as you described boxing out.  The LB quickly filled the hole and stuffed Mills for a 2 yard gain.  Looking at the Urb analysis it occurred to me that maybe those plays were actually a RPO and because of the ineligible man downfield rule they can't do much of a push.  There are 2 plays I was looking at very similar to what is in the Urb analysis except to the right.  Jaimes pulls and both times Mills gets the ball.  Jaimes gets stuffed by the linebacker in the first and in the second Jaimes doesn't lead through the hole Mills runs through and blocks to the outside.  I posted one of them earlier in this thread.  And of course, they had to take the video down so I can't look at the plays again.

So I think we can do what you described we used to do, and we will use that style of blocking on some run plays. But at the same time, I think in the future we combat the problem you are describing with the 'finesse' technique by using formation, motion and misdirection to take that linebacker out of the play. I belive that style of block is used for RPOs for the reason you describe, but I think they use that style of block on other run plays as well because it creates wide lanes for our speed to exploit.

Its also possible I'm wrong and those are all RPOs. You would think on an inside zone they would block similarly except lineman would be working to the second level.