Offensive Play

Still waiting for the triple option out of the Shotgun formation with Robinson in motion and Mo Washington in the backfield. I think we could see it Saturday. Either one of them could take it to the house. I'm a little more apprehensive about AM though. Really hard knowing whether the added bulk slowed him significantly or not.

I like to talk football details after a game like this instead of just dumping out frustration on the team.

There was a fair amount of improvement on offense from week 1, specifically:

1. The high snaps were greatly improved.

2. Jurgens blocked better. 

3. Mills ran a little better.

4. Adrian didn't throw into double coverage as much.

5. Adrian's completion percentage was better.

6. Adrian threw for more yards.

7. We ran the ball better.

8. We had way more offensive yards.

I am really frustrated with Walters & Frost for that third quarter, though. We'd have good first down plays where we'd get the ball outside for 5 yards. On that second down play, stop going empty backfield with five guys wide. Just stop doing that. You need a power run play there on 2nd where we try to smash through for 3 or 4 yards.

Also: Adrian does not run that well out of an empty backfield. Stop doing that, also. He runs way better when he has a running back or tight end out front to block for him. 

Anyway, I like the fact that the offense got serious and fixed almost all of their major mistakes from week 1. That's really important, no matter how mad anyone is about blowing the 17 point lead. We have to have better interior power running in order to put games away; to me that's really the punchline in what happened yesterday.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I like to talk football details after a game like this instead of just dumping out frustration on the team.

I am really frustrated with Walters & Frost for that third quarter, though. We'd have good first down plays where we'd get the ball outside for 5 yards. On that second down play, stop going empty backfield with five guys wide. Just stop doing that. You need a power run play there on 2nd where get 3 or 4 yards.

Also: Adrian does not run that well out of an empty backfield. Stop doing that, also. He runs way better when he has a running back or tight end out front to block for him. 

Anyway, I like the fact that the offense got serious and fixed almost all of their major mistakes from week 1. That's really important, no matter how mad anyone is about blowing the 17 point lead. We have to have better interior power running in order to put games away; to me that's really the punchline in what happened yesterday.

Day by day we get better and better. As much as we want to hem and haw about this loss and Scott Frost, that is what I have seen from him since they have arrived. Day by day is the only way to build this thing up on a proper foundation.

• Fire 1
22 hours ago, Undone said:

I am really frustrated with Walters & Frost for that third quarter, though. We'd have good first down plays where we'd get the ball outside for 5 yards. On that second down play, stop going empty backfield with five guys wide. Just stop doing that. You need a power run play there on 2nd where we try to smash through for 3 or 4 yards.

Thank you.

I basically avoided the board for the last two days because I didn't want to get caught up in the crying fest.  I was pissed off enough all on my own.

Now, I would rather talk about specifics and what is good and what is bad.

You laid out 8 good points of what was good.  I think Jurgen's snaps were one of the biggest points.  He still had a couple bad ones, but for the most part, 2AM could rely on him getting the ball right where it needed to be.  Adrian seemed to check down more and not force the ball in places.  

The two biggest areas where it seems to me that we continue to struggle is

a) inside run game.  I'm actually very surprised with this.  There just simply isn't anything there and the defense is being able to stop it with just their down linemen.  This allows their LBs to flow to the perimeter without fear of giving up the big inside run.  If they can figure this out, it will go a LONG ways to opening up this offense.  I just can not figure out what the issue is.  

b)  Costly turnovers.  And...the biggest frustration of this is that it's coming from our star player that touches the ball on every snap.  Damn frustrating.

Oh well....this week we have an opponent that we should be able to continue getting better with.  Keep building and maybe we have fixed a lot of these issues by mid season.

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

a) inside run game.  I'm actually very surprised with this.  There just simply isn't anything there and the defense is being able to stop it with just their down linemen.  This allows their LBs to flow to the perimeter without fear of giving up the big inside run.  If they can figure this out, it will go a LONG ways to opening up this offense.  I just can not figure out what the issue is.  

It's weird because it seemed like Hixson and Jurgens struggled a lot in week 1, but then in this game it seemed that Boe Wilson and Farniok struggled on the right side of the line.

The bottom line is that our offensive line just isn't in a great place currently.

I still think we need high percentage pass plays to get things clicking. You spread the other team's defense out side and then you come back with the interior running. Everybody tends to want to say, "Run to set up the pass" but I really think this offense works just fine when it's the other way around.

Not just posting this because it was a long touchdown play but because this is the kind of play we need to keep Martinez's confidence up and to then set up the run:

giphy.gif

It's a high percentage play. If our receivers block well, this is the kind of play you move the sticks with. I expect to see more of this in week 3.

Athletically, Washington is kind of a freak. He's extremely light on his feet and he has a long stride. His top end speed is insane.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I want to point out something that I think points to the S&C program working.

I don't remember a play where we needed 1 yard for a 1st down and we didn't get it.  The staff expects at that point to put 2AM under center and get that push....the O line is getting it.

That hasn't always been the case.

On the other side of the ball the D line has been stiff against the run, something we have been missing in a major way the past few years.

• Plus1 3