Offensive Play

10 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Why do all of our linemen believe imitating a speed bump is good football?  First the defense and now the offense :angry:  It looks like Minnesota flat out stole their manhood.  This game isn't even worth 60 minutes of my time.

Imagine Wisky and Iowa.  "Their practices must be like a blood bath"........

Here's some interesting stats.  Mentions Frost O predicated on chunk plays.  What happens when you don't get them.....

* Nebraska had 24 chunk plays against Illinois alone on Sept. 21, the high-water mark of the Frost era here, but has logged just 17 in three games since. The three-game averages of 4.4 yards per play and 283 yards per game in that stretch would rank No. 127 and No. 126 nationally, respectively.

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This video clip sums up our offense.

The reason he gets pancaked is because he doesn't set his feet behind him, plant, and slam forward with leverage. He's basically upright. Look at the difference between him, Jaimes, Jurgens, & Farniok as far as position angle to confirm.

It reeks of not having your head in the game and also just being poorly prepared to play the position. 

Need some bigger bodies in there that start hitting their squats, cleans,  overhead press, and the dinner table starting in January.

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This video clip sums up our offense.

And still......on this utter breakdown by the OL, Vedral has time to plant his feet, check out two receivers and get the ball away. (And that's only a one-step drop by Vedral)

OL is clearly a problem, but Martinez and Vedral actually have decent completion percentages, and our RBs have (had?) decent per carry averages. In games against better defensive front lines, you simply gotta have quicker developing pass plays. I'm watching my Niners yesterday against the Rams. Niners have lost their three best tackles this season, and a very good Rams D is collapsing around Jimmy Garrapolo on every dropback. So Shanahan designs a lot of quick curls to make sure there's an open receiver -- including tight ends and backs -- across the line of scrimmage within a couple seconds of snap. So while the Rams got the push on the Niner OL most of the day, the Niners could still dink and dunk their way to a big win.

Nebraska has the added advantage of a running QB. When an OL line is collapsing in this kinda halo, it often means there's a massive hole for the taking. They will never let Jimmy Garrapollo take it, but that's the value of an Adrian Martinez or Noah Vedral -- you've supposedly agreed to let them play like running backs. If you string together a couple successful jailbreak scrambles, it forces some linemen or linebackers to stay home --- something you can then exploit.

If you're wondering why I can't just step in and coach this offense, it's complicated. The kids are in school and the wife doesn't want to relocate.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In games against better defensive front lines, you simply gotta have quicker developing pass plays. I'm watching my Niners yesterday against the Rams. Niners have lost their three best tackles this season, and a very good Rams D is collapsing around Jimmy Garrapolo on every dropback.

And I think it's plain as day that the quick sideline WR screen plays from last year have just been eradicated from the playbook. 

I agree with your observation. It's not to say that Frost doesn't have a really, really good reason that he hasn't adjusted in this regard. I will fully give him the benefit of the doubt that such a reason exists. But while you're watching the game, it's perplexing as to why we don't go quickly outside on a pass play on designed throws to go to one guy.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

And I think it's plain as day that the quick sideline WR screen plays from last year have just been eradicated from the playbook. 

I agree with your observation. It's not to say that Frost doesn't have a really, really good reason that he hasn't adjusted in this regard. I will fully give him the benefit of the doubt that such a reason exists. But while you're watching the game, it's perplexing as to why we don't go quickly outside on a pass play on designed throws to go to one guy.

I agree with your assertion, in giving Frost the benefit of the doubt. There must be a reason he isn't running those specific plays. But, man, we have to come up with some strategic answer to counter the better Defensive lines, and when teams blitz. Otherwise, with a leaky OL, it's just a matter of time before your entire QB roster gets injured. I know there has to be some hot reads, or designed quick outlets in the structure of the Offense, but it is puzzling as to why we don't utilize them....

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I think the long sideline screens -- often too far behind the line of scrimmage -- get sniffed out too easily, and like Tommy Armstrong before him, Martinez is making these passes more difficult and dangerous than they should be. 

I'm talking more about passes in the middle of the field -- the quick crosses or the five yards and turn routes. Shorter than the sideline passes, already in positive territory, and really hard to defend. But you do have to get them over the hands of the defensive line and I'm guessing that was the issue in this Vedral clip. 

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm talking more about passes in the middle of the field -- the quick crosses or the five yards and turn routes. Shorter than the sideline passes, already in positive territory, and really hard to defend. But you do have to get them over the hands of the defensive line and I'm guessing that was the issue in this Vedral clip. 

I honestly think that defenses are selling out to cover these because they know our QB isn't going to have time to find the deep passes.  So, they cover the deep routes one on one and leave the safeties up close to cover crossing routes and help in the run game.  

This entire system is breaking down because of the horrible pass pro.  There's also enough defenders close to the line that once our QBs start to scramble, they can be brought down for little or no gain.

• Plus1 5
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There's also enough defenders close to the line that once our QBs start to scramble, they can be brought down for little or no gain.

I gotta side with the thousands of people yelling "run!" when a big clear lane has opened for Martinez and a sure first down, and he's still waiting for a receiver to get separation. This seems to happen multiple times every game, and I think even the coaches have acknowledged it. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly think that defenses are selling out to cover these because they know our QB isn't going to have time to find the deep passes.  So, they cover the deep routes one on one and leave the safeties up close to cover crossing routes and help in the run game.  

This entire system is breaking down because of the horrible pass pro.  There's also enough defenders close to the line that once our QBs start to scramble, they can be brought down for little or no gain.

I think there is a lot of truth to this point. I think it becomes apparent when you re-watch the games, or are able to get overhead shots of the Opposing Defensive alignment. The opposing Defense takes a lot of chances, and the Safeties will even vacate the middle of the field to take away short to medium threats at times, gambling that we won't be able to make them pay.....And, when you can rush us, and get pressure with, 3 guys, or 4 tops, there are limited open spaces to exploit in 3 seconds before our QB gets drilled......

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I gotta side with the thousands of people yelling "run!" when a big clear lane has opened for Martinez and a sure first down, and he's still waiting for a receiver to get separation. This seems to happen multiple times every game, and I think even the coaches have acknowledged it. 

I definitely think this has happened. However, I've also seen it happen where a huge hole opens up and AM starts to run, but about the time he hits the LOS there is three defenders there to meet him because they aren't respecting anything deep and are sitting underneath.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm right there with you.  My dog has looked at me scared to death many times this year thinking I'm yelling at her to "RUN".

• Haha 1