Offensive Play

7 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Well, pre-determined checks could do that. AM is in a "sophomore slump" and I say that in the lightest way of that meaning. He is trying to be what is expected, outside Heisman type, as opposed to what he is...a play creator...which ultimately leads to Heisman invite

He's 'the guy' for Nebraska and honestly that can't be easy at all.  Knowing not only an entire stadium is ready and wants to to win and see the progress 'now' but an entire fan base all over the country and world I suppose have all been waiting for Nebraska to turn things around.  Even I have have to stop and remind myself that I am sure to some degree dealing with that kind of pressure at that age with this fan base must be hard to some degree mentally.  The pressure is definitely there.  Quarterback especially has a lot of responsibility. 

Husker fans are one of a kind and the whole state lives and breathes Nebraska football so it's probably even more of a feeling for a lot of those guys that they don't want to let these people down maybe.  When I see the way he's played from last year to this coupled with all of that off season hype surrounding this season and knowing how quickly Scott and co turned UCF around one would think that the pressure to do that this year at Nebraska is definitely in the minds of a lot of these players himself included.  That's a different kind of pressure and yeah that would be hard especially when you're out there and maybe start second guessing too much.

I really liked this touchdown in the third quarter:

giphy.gif

It's double tight end. Allen is on the edge, Stoll is in the pistol/offset. Stoll sweeps across. Adrian makes the right read and then just follows his block inside of Stoll while Allen kind of traps a guy. Great play by both tight ends. I'd like to see more of this kind of play in midfield as well.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Interesting comments from Frost postgame last night. He said when they're in 11 personnel, NIU was running a 3-3 stack and they had not prepared for that look, so they had to run more 2 TE personnel than they planned on. I found that interesting in a number of ways. First, it would explain why the first couple drives weren't as crisp as we're used to seeing. And good on the coaches to adjust on the fly. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, ActualCornHusker said:

Interesting comments from Frost postgame last night. He said when they're in 11 personnel, NIU was running a 3-3 stack and they had not prepared for that look, so they had to run more 2 TE personnel than they planned on. I found that interesting in a number of ways. First, it would explain why the first couple drives weren't as crisp as we're used to seeing. And good on the coaches to adjust on the fly. 

I feel like the coaching break down in Boulder will help us in conference play and really at our stage of redevelopment, conference play is all that matters.   Frost seems ready to learn from mistakes 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Adrian Martinez per game:

Passing

2019 - 15/25, 60.0%, 241 yards; 9.7 ypa; 2.0 TDs, 1.0 INT; Rating: 153.5

2018 - 20/31, 64.6%, 237 yards; 7.5 ypa;  1.5 TDs, 0.7 INTs; Rating: 139.5

Rushing (which includes sacks which sucks but that's the way it is)

2019 - 14.3 attempts, 38.7 yards, 2.7 ypa; 1.0 TD

2018 - 12.7 attempts, 57.2 yards, 4.5 ypa; 0.7 TDs

So passing stats are basically identical to last year - slightly up in some categories, slightly down in others.

Rushing stats are down a bit

Adrian stayed a bit looser last night IMO by rolling out when his first couple reads weren't there. I think that was a staple for Milton at UCF; it forces the defense's eyes to let off their coverage and watch for Martinez to scramble, then he throws downfield.

I can't make moving GIF clips from the long YouTube videos but there was a really nice pass to Mike Williams in the second quarter on a play like this that was awesome. Adrian's awareness was crisp last night and hopefully that doesn't get lost in some of the negativity in the first two games.

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Passing

So passing stats are basically identical to last year - slightly up in some categories, slightly down in others.

Does the eye test also tell you he's playing at a similar clip to last year?  Maybe better?

The offense still seems very sluggish at times and unable to move the ball. Now having said that they did a better job last night and the results obviously showed up on the scoreboard. The defense is playing pretty well, so if the offense can get it's self squared away and we can figure out the field goal kicking game I'll feel pretty decent about where we're at in year 2. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Passing

Will say the biggest thing is the line for the most part have been competent in their pass pro.  There have been times when Adrian has had all day to throw(think 1st half Colorado).  They struggle with stunts time to time but have been decent these first 3 games.

Now their run blocking of yet........ lots of whiffs and straight up getting owned at the LOS

2 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Will say the biggest thing is the line for the most part have been competent in their pass pro.  There have been times when Adrian has had all day to throw(think 1st half Colorado).  They struggle with stunts time to time but have been decent these first 3 games.

Now their run blocking of yet........ lots of whiffs and straight up getting owned at the LOS

The pass pro has had decent moments. I wouldn't say they've been anything near consistent. They have mind blowing screw ups with a free release at AM and that's in his head. He's worried about a player coming free and gets Happy feet. AM has had struggles but the oline is making it a lot worse. 

The question right now in my mind is, how much progress can our offensive line make by the time we play Wisconsin? That's the game we really need to win this season. 

I see things as a question of how high our ceiling is. And I think our offensive ceiling is still very high this year despite seeing some negative things on offense in the first two games. One of the primary things we bring is big play ability.

I think our offensive line made some improvements against Northern Illinois. Our receivers are blocking really well, for sure. You generally don't have a guy rush for 100 yards against a team that's gone a year and a half with no 100 yard rushers against them unless you're doing something right in the run blocking department.

As lifelong fans, I feel like we tend to approach things (even if it's just subconsciously) as "Frost is back, and we're Nebraska; you either steamroll Northern Illinois for 350 yards rushing or it's a failure." All in all, I'm seeing improvement over week 1.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1