Offensive Play

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That was the first game of the year and three games ago. Every time we play another game, this game becomes more meaningless. 

The South Alabama game was wonky for a number of reasons:

1)  Mo sitting out first half of the game

2)  Bad snaps by Jurgens (which looks like he has solved)

3)  Defense and Special teams creating scores on their own

4)  Offense not touching the ball for 45-60 minutes (my estimate) of real time between the end of the 2nd quarter and not having a drive start until 6:47 of the 3rd quarter

5) Other new starters across the o-line and WR corps

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

These stats show that NU is 61st at 39.5%.

NU is getting chunk plays on 1st and 2nd downs to produce scores.  Against CU, NU had 2 drives where it scored a TD without having a 3rd down in the drive, and another TD drive with only 1 third down.  Against Northern Illinois, NU had 3 TD scoring drives without a 3rd down.

Looking at the drive charts from the first 3 games:

South Alabama - 4 three and outs in 12 drives

Colorado - 5 three and outs in 15 drives (all in 2nd half and OT)

Northern Illinois - 2 three and outs in 14 drives

So, yes the three and outs were concerning in the first 2 games, but NU was much better against Northern Illinois.

Weird I wonder if I looked that wrong week or something.

Good call on the drive charts. That's certainly an improvement vs NIU.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That was the first game of the year and three games ago. Every time we play another game, this game becomes more meaningless. 

The context of this sentence that I wrote, Buster, was explaining to Mavric what my original point was. The context of this discussion is essentially the ability to move the ball down the field. 

As it pertains to the NIU game, I thought we were good-to-great on offense aside from failing to score when we recovered that second punt on roughly their 11 yard line.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

The context of this sentence that I wrote, Buster, was explaining to Mavric what my original point was. The context of this discussion is essentially the ability to move the ball down the field. 

As it pertains to the NIU game, I thought we were good-to-great on offense aside from failing to score when we recovered that second punt on roughly their 11 yard line.

Correct....you posted the three game’s offensive production and said the USA game was worthy of criticism. That’s true for maybe the week after that game. 

But, when we have two data points since then, the USA game becomes less meaningful. 

Let’s hope that trend continues. 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let’s hope that trend continues. 

And that really is the point.

think one of the common themes is Mills running more effectively. That was probably the one of the bigger factors in racking up our largest offensive yards number out of the three games played so far.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Undone said:

And that really is the point.

think one of the common themes is Mills running more effectively. That was probably the one of the bigger factors in racking up our largest offensive yards number out of the three games played so far.

I think Mills continued evolution in this offense will be huge. It is up there with AM getting back on track and OL improvement.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

And honestly our offense shouldn't even have needed to out there as all Allen had to do was catch the ball and he could have walked into the endzone

6 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

What's nice about this too is we really have great pieces for the 12 look. We can do so many different things with Maurice or Wandale at RB or go with a more traditional look with Mills in there. Our tight ends can be mismatches in the pass game but block very well at the same time. We aren't losing a ton by swapping Austin Allen in for another reciever, especially because of our versatility at RB.

• Plus1 1

I'm rewatching the game a bit, and I have to say: we currently have some of the worst offensive line play in years. The interior line is not good at all, and both Farniok and Jaimes are playing below the level they should be at. I'm more worried about it than I was during the offseason. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1