Offensive Play

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The second play that they dissect from the second quarter is so good and so underrated. We had just burned them on the jet sweep quick shovel pass to Mo on our last touchdown. So he goes in motion and we fake that to him, Adrian rolls against his motion, and there are basically three different guys open.

So good.

• Plus1 3

On 9/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, Undone said:

And that really is the point.

think one of the common themes is Mills running more effectively. That was probably the one of the bigger factors in racking up our largest offensive yards number out of the three games played so far.

If Mills ran as well at CU as he did against NIU maybe we squeak that game out. So much better when he is using vision, cuts, and seams to get the most out of each run rather than just trying to be physical. Think he picked up some bad habits. in JUCO ball he was only going to unlearn when he quit producing. Saturday he and Mo looked like the 1-2 punch we were expecting coming into the season. 

• Plus1 2

Would be hard to overstate how fortunate it's been that we recruited Washington & Wan'Dale in Frost's first two classes after starting a rebuild of a dumpster fire. The raw talent both of these guys have is insane.

Wan'Dale comes in at running back, gets called up to run between the tackles, and finds a way to do it. Line him up at receiver - touchdown. Jet sweep touch pass - touchdown. Guy is insane. 

For anybody wanting to say that our offensive line sucks, you don't put up 344 on the ground if that's the case. Illinois was top 5 in tackles for loss coming into the game. 

• Plus1 5

Midway through the 2nd quarter, with the Mo and Mills injuries, I texted my brothers that NU should go full-spread and have Adrian try to pass every play.  Frost must have been reading my texts, because that was great to see.  Wyatt Mazour can be an effective zone runner (inside and outside) when the defense is spread out wide, and Wandale showed what he could do back there.

36 minutes ago, Undone said:

Would be hard to overstate how fortunate it's been that we recruited Washington & Wan'Dale in Frost's first two classes after starting a rebuild of a dumpster fire. The raw talent both of these guys have is insane.

Wan'Dale comes in at running back, gets called up to run between the tackles, and finds a way to do it. Line him up at receiver - touchdown. Jet sweep touch pass - touchdown. Guy is insane. 

For anybody wanting to say that our offensive line sucks, you don't put up 344 on the ground if that's the case. Illinois was top 5 in tackles for loss coming into the game. 

Yeah. I hear a lot on the various threads about how bad Illinois is and how embarrassing it is for us to only scrape by. Now, I’m not saying Illinois is great or anything, but they are much improved over last year so I expected a tougher game then last year. That defensive line is legit and their defense as a whole hit like MF. 

I watched Lovie’s presser and he said this is the first year he actually felt that they could compete with teams which I thought was refreshingly candid. 

TLDR. I think the Illinois defense is much better then our fans believe. OL made some strides last night. 

On 9/16/2019 at 4:48 PM, Mavric said:

But, like @BigRedBuster said and I have said several times, I think many people are clinging to the old-fashioned idea that "good" offenses are able to consistently grind out 12 play scoring drives when they really "need to".  But I don't think that's really the reality anymore.  Clemson doesn't do that.  Ohio State doesn't do that.  Oklahoma doesn't do that.  Alabama doesn't do that (though they are probably the closest to someone who could against most opponents).  That's just not how college football is played anymore.  Everyone is looking for "chunk" plays.  There are just too many things that can go wrong and too many good players spread all around the country that the vast majority of times you can't simply line up and impose your will on the other team all the way down the field over and over again.

A good offense may not always do that, but having the ability is crucial. Against Alabama, Clemson took over at their own 1 yard line with 10:02 left in the game. 94 yards later the clock hit 0:00. 

While I def don’t think Bama would score 28 in that amount of time, they have the QB & WRs to make if happen if anyone could. But it was super nice to watch your team run it down their throat to finish off the season.

6 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

A good offense may not always do that, but having the ability is crucial. Against Alabama, Clemson took over at their own 1 yard line with 10:02 left in the game. 94 yards later the clock hit 0:00. 

While I def don’t think Bama would score 28 in that amount of time, they have the QB & WRs to make if happen if anyone could. But it was super nice to watch your team run it down their throat to finish off the season.

Do you have accounts on a lot of other boards and just wait to pounce if anyone mentions Clemson?

I’m sure I’m not the first to ask. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Undone said:

Didn't their DE lead the nation in TFL as well?  Might be the B1G leader not nation.