Offensive Play

15 minutes ago, huKSer said:

Probably sea sick from going up and down so much to catch the high snaps

In all seriousness, I really do think that was throwing him off.  After the first few he was jumping at every snap, even if he really didn't need to.  And it's tough to really be focusing on making the right play when you're distracted by something you shouldn't really have to think about.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I think Martinez is rattled by all the hype. The ESPN camera crew was all over him before the game. Maybe he has issues handling the spotlight? Believe I saw this mentioned in an article online too. Personally, I'm not for young kids being interviewed so much by media personnel. They don't tell the media much different than what the coaches do. I understand it, but I don't like it.

Some of the players could benefit from a social media blackout, too. Not going to name names but some players talk the talk a bit much on the internet. I'm in my mid 30's and grew up initially without social media, the internet, etc. Guess I prefer guys just keep their mouth shut, go to work, and let their talking happen on the football field.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, FTW said:

I think Martinez is rattled by all the hype. The ESPN camera crew was all over him before the game. Maybe he has issues handling the spotlight? Believe I saw this mentioned in an article online too. Personally, I'm not for young kids being interviewed so much by media personnel. They don't tell the media much different than what the coaches do. I understand it, but I don't like it.

Some of the players could benefit from a social media blackout, too. Not going to name names but some players talk the talk a bit much on the internet. I'm in my mid 30's and grew up initially without social media, the internet, etc. Guess I prefer guys just keep their mouth shut, go to work, and let their talking happen on the football field.

I'm sorry but I keep seeing this and I think it couldn't be further from the truth for Martinez. His mindset is fine I don't think the hype got to him. 

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

I'm sorry but I keep seeing this and I think it couldn't be further from the truth for Martinez. His mindset is fine I don't think the hype got to him. 

Unless you know him personally, I disagree. I can think back to when I was his age and I'll be honest, I'd be nervous as hell with all this hype and cameras. Don't kid yourself that a 18-19 year old kid doesn't get rattled like that. He didn't seem sick or sound sick or anything during interviews. He did however view film on the Troy game last year and I don't think that helped him either.

He did seem surprised and/or confused during the USA game. Here's hoping it's all mental. I think that is correctable because I don't think anyone is questioning his physical abilities. We all know what he is capable of.

Just now, FTW said:

Unless you know him personally, I disagree. I can think back to when I was his age and I'll be honest, I'd be nervous as hell with all this hype and cameras. Don't kid yourself that a 18-19 year old kid doesn't get rattled like that. He didn't seem sick or sound sick or anything during interviews. He did however view film on the Troy game last year and I don't think that helped him either.

He did seem surprised and/or confused during the USA game. Here's hoping it's all mental. I think that is correctable because I don't think anyone is questioning his physical abilities. We all know what he is capable of.

I could say the exact same thing to you. I'm not saying its not mental, but I don't think he played poorly because he was being called a hiesman hopeful or the attention. How much attention did he get last year? A ton. He can handle that.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I could say the exact same thing to you. I'm not saying its not mental, but I don't think he played poorly because he was being called a hiesman hopeful or the attention. How much attention did he get last year? A ton. He can handle that.

How would you explain how poorly he ran?  No sign of any real speed or escapability?  

8 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

How would you explain how poorly he ran?  No sign of any real speed or escapability?  

That is a bit tougher to explain. I have to think it isn't true regression just based on offseason comments. Big Daniels saying he is fast, like really fast. Comments from the coaches on improved play. Comments from BTN guys who watched practice. Obviously you aren't going to say 'well he looks slow and indecisive out there' if he looked like this in practice but you'd be leaving alot of what they did say about him unsaid. What caused his lack of explosiveness Saturday, I cannot say for sure but in my opinion it is unrelated to preseason hype placed on him personally and will be resolved in Boulder. I expect Adrian to have a huge bounce back performance and show everyone what he has been working on this offseason.

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

That is a bit tougher to explain. I have to think it isn't true regression just based on offseason comments. Big Daniels saying he is fast, like really fast. Comments from the coaches on improved play. Comments from BTN guys who watched practice. Obviously you aren't going to say 'well he looks slow and indecisive out there' if he looked like this in practice but you'd be leaving alot of what they did say about him unsaid. What caused his lack of explosiveness Saturday, I cannot say for sure but in my opinion it is unrelated to preseason hype placed on him personally and will be resolved in Boulder. I expect Adrian to have a huge bounce back performance and show everyone what he has been working on this offseason.

I hope you're right.  What I saw Saturday was completely the antithesis of these praise comments.  At one point I was not sure it was Adrian; it was in 60% speed... 

18 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I hope you're right.  What I saw Saturday was completely the antithesis of these praise comments.  At one point I was not sure it was Adrian; it was in 60% speed... 

He had to show it in practice to elicit all the comments he got. It's just not possible he practiced anything like this and got those comments from the people he did. Big Daniels in particular, he has seen so much in his career I don't think he would have said Adrian was really really fast unless he was in practice. If we gather all of the information we have on Adrian Martinez, his performance Saturday was an outlier. That means it is far from likely that will be the trend.