Kicking Game

One area that struggled yesterday was the kicking game. In addition to the missed field goal, our kicker struggled to get the ball past the 10 yard line. S Alabama had 2 good run backs taking the short kicks but we were fortunate they were called back due to penalties.

I am not sure how close the competition was for the starting spot, but lets hope we see improvement in the coming weeks.

On a more positive note our punter looked good!

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

One area that struggled yesterday was the kicking game. In addition to the missed field goal, our kicker struggled to get the ball past the 10 yard line. S Alabama had 2 good run backs taking the short kicks but we were fortunate they were called back due to penalties.

I am not sure how close the competition was for the starting spot, but lets hope we see improvement in the coming weeks.

On a more positive note our punter looked good!

Well that was our backup kicker. Our starting kicker Pickering was out do to an injury. I don't know how serious Pickering's injury is but I hope he will be back soon. Special teams still needs a lot of work though

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

As long as pickering is back soon it will be fine. Also they might of had those long return because of their holding penalties.

I think it was the second one the hold definitely contributed to the run. The Husker player that was held almost made the tackle and was jumping up and down mad that he was held. 

I was reading the OWH today and in one section of the weekend recap, Frost said Pickering couldn’t warm up properly do to  a minor tweak, so it was decided he should sit-and made it sound like it was a game day decision. In another section it mentioned that Frost told the back up guy-and sorry I don’t remember his name right now-on Monday that he would be the game one kicker.  Maybe there was a mis-quote but kind of weird 

My only concern on special teams would be the edge blocking on PAT/field goals. That's why the one was blocked, and several other PATs were very close to being blocked.

Kicks were fine. I'd rather kick it to the goal line because a return will usually be to the 20, not the 25. All there big returns were from a hold, so they had to cheat to get there in the first place. Not really a big deal.

51 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I was reading the OWH today and in one section of the weekend recap, Frost said Pickering couldn’t warm up properly do to  a minor tweak, so it was decided he should sit-and made it sound like it was a game day decision. In another section it mentioned that Frost told the back up guy-and sorry I don’t remember his name right now-on Monday that he would be the game one kicker.  Maybe there was a mis-quote but kind of weird 

Sounds like we'll get our Pickering game back soon.  I think Frost jokes with the kickers about how tough their jobs are.  Smart way of relieving some pressure they may feel.  I'm sure Frost knows the kickers name... I can't seem to recall it myself.

10 hours ago, ZRod said:

My only concern on special teams would be the edge blocking on PAT/field goals. That's why the one was blocked, and several other PATs were very close to being blocked.

Kicks were fine. I'd rather kick it to the goal line because a return will usually be to the 20, not the 25. All there big returns were from a hold, so they had to cheat to get there in the first place. Not really a big deal.

I think the kicker being slow to the ball had more to do with it than the edge blocking.

Kicks were pretty short and not much hang time.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I think the kicker being slow to the ball had more to do with it than the edge blocking.

Kicks were pretty short and not much hang time.

I'll have to watch it on TV, but being in the stadium it seemed like chipping the edge rusher wasn't getting it done.

23 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Great thanks for that update. Lets hope Pickering is back soon.