Kicking Game

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Seriously. I may have missed it, but I don't recall ever getting the details about Barrett Pickering's injury, or the slightest hint when and if he's coming back. 

There hasn’t been any official word but Callahan has said several times that it’s a hip flexor.  I don’t think anyone knows when he will be back for sure, and that probably includes the coaches.  I get the impression that it’s basically just rest until it gets better.

Funny how it’s never a problem until it is, concerning kicking game. 

Id rather have what we have and suck giant balls at it than have a healthy kicker who sucks tho. You can’t fix that. Ours is fixable if he gets healthy. 

Can we just kick it off really high to the 12 rather than kick it really fast, low, and returnable to the 4 please? These returns to the 28-35 are killers!!

• Plus1 2

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

While FGs and extra points are a concern, I am just as concerned if not more with the kickoffs.  The average starting position for the opposition has been way too close to midfield.  We should be able to kick a touchback nearly every time.  

If we can't get somebody coached-up enough to kick-off decently then we need to just go with squibs. Line-drives to the KR can't happen. Would like to see more defensive mainstays on the coverage team.  Lane McCallum had been practicing at safety but he was an all-state kicker on schollie for it at Air Force. Would think we can get him somewhat competent.

• Fire 1
21 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Hell just kick it out of bounds 

This might actually be a good idea.  I'm pretty sure giving them the ball on the 35 would be better than the average starting point for Ilinois on our kickoffs last game.  Anybody have the data for that?  Plus, it takes away the possibility of a big return.

2 minutes ago, Vern said:

This might actually be a good idea.  I'm pretty sure giving them the ball on the 35 would be better than the average starting point for Ilinois on our kickoffs last game.  Anybody have the data for that?  Plus, it takes away the possibility of a big return.

The receiving team doesn't always have to take the ball at the 35 yard line.  They have the option of making the kicking team re-kick from 5 yards further back for each penalty.