Welcome to the Gun Show

Salsa Red

52 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And I have no problem admitting, yeah they look different/better while recognizing that doesn’t mean jack sh#t unless and until it transfers to game performance and results. Sorry but there is a serious disconnect between the size/strength appearance of some players and what transpired in a game vs a cellar dwelling Sun Belt team. One of these things is much more important than the other.

Nobody says it means more than they appear to be in better shape. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nobody says it means more than they appear to be in better shape. 

You're right, nobody is saying that. Maybe it was just the timing. It seemed sort of like, hey look at this shiny thing over here while ignoring the fact it didn't seem to actually do us any good in the game. Sorry, I'm just a bit pissy and concerned about the upcoming game.

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You're right, nobody is saying that. Maybe it was just the timing. It seemed sort of like, hey look at this shiny thing over here while ignoring the fact it didn't seem to actually do us any good in the game. Sorry, I'm just a bit pissy and concerned about the upcoming game.

Have a shot of tequila and watch this weekend. Do I know they are going to be better?  No. But we gave the offensive staff to do it and our players are in better shape. Everyone involved seems to understand that the win wasn’t good enough. 

The only thing we can do is have fun and watch. 

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You're not being pissy.  Sat against USA was, at least offensively, a crap fest.  Bigger, stronger, faster is great if it translates to on the field performance.  And at some point it will.  Maybe not as soon a we anticipated/expected/hoped/prayed etc....A lot of new faces, first time starters on both sides.  Need some time to gel I'm sure.

One thing to keep in mind is how far behind was our strength and conditioning prior to Frost and Co getting here.  For example, they do testing last year and our strongest lineman squats 500lbs, this year is up to 600 lbs. and the average across the board is 550lbs...BUT what if school "X" average because they have an established S&C program is averaging 575 lbs....We ARE stronger comparing ourselves to ourselves, BUT we can still not "as strong" as other teams we face.  So yes, compared to ourselves we have improved dramatically.  Kudos to Duval and CO, BUT it is possible we are still behind other schools.......

• Fire 2
4 hours ago, lo country said:

You're not being pissy.  Sat against USA was, at least offensively, a crap fest.  Bigger, stronger, faster is great if it translates to on the field performance.  And at some point it will.  Maybe not as soon a we anticipated/expected/hoped/prayed etc....A lot of new faces, first time starters on both sides.  Need some time to gel I'm sure.

One thing to keep in mind is how far behind was our strength and conditioning prior to Frost and Co getting here.  For example, they do testing last year and our strongest lineman squats 500lbs, this year is up to 600 lbs. and the average across the board is 550lbs...BUT what if school "X" average because they have an established S&C program is averaging 575 lbs....We ARE stronger comparing ourselves to ourselves, BUT we can still not "as strong" as other teams we face.  So yes, compared to ourselves we have improved dramatically.  Kudos to Duval and CO, BUT it is possible we are still behind other schools.......

We weren’t smaller Saturday, they just had a lot more fight in them. 

4 minutes ago, brophog said:

We weren’t smaller Saturday, they just had a lot more fight in them. 

Not geared towards USA specifically.  More a generalized statement.  We have improved from last year to this.  Eyes don't lie.  The numbers don't lie.  But is is comparing NU to NU.  Not NU to other schools.  I'm looking forward to conference play to see how close we are to getting back and being able to punch back against Wisky, Iowa etc..So Frost no longer says teams were bigger and stronger than NU.

Sheer size is one thing. Seems like we've come a long way compared to not caring about squats and that one picture of a certain O-lineman which will forever be burnt into my mind as the definition of bad weight.

But strength, power, conditioning and injury prevention are all separate concepts that are markers of success of S&C that will mean a lot more on the field. 

Those pictures are encouraging. But only time will tell if our S&C is improving.