Colorado Week Pressers

Mavric

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I struggle with this "excuse". When you are playing South Alabama- your overall talent should win out and blaming it on the playbook seems lame to me. Year 2 in the system shouldnt the kids be able to handle a good portion of the playbook? UCF put down 61 in week 1 in year 2 of Frost as head coach. They played a team probably the same caliber as South Alabama. 

The coaches are all over the map with excuses and it's making my head hurt.  I'm starting to miss the "we didn't execute" Pelini explanation.

• Plus1 2

Verduzco noted that the snaps were problematic, but Martinez began to make them worse by hopping at times when the ball wasn’t high. That messed up the quarterback’s feet right off the bat and throws off some timing on plays.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-football-Adrian-Martinez-mistakes-South-Alabama-Colorado-Buffaloes-135172849/

I definitely noticed Martinez hopping on even good snaps. When they have a specific drill focused on just getting your feet right it's no wonder he was so off at times.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Same story, next verse.

If the coaches talk details, they're said to me making excuses

If they talk in generalities, it's "coach speak"

If they talk about the players, they're blaming them

If they talk about themselves, people say they want to see it no the field, not just talk about it

If people are upset or want to be upset, they'll find something to complain about.  

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

There has been some talk about whether the lack of push was from play or scheme, as we were able to push them when we really needed to. Also, there has been talk of technique (feet and hand placement) playing a role, possibly negating the strength advantage we should have had. These things can be cleaned up. I agree though, that is my biggest concern after game 1

I didn't look too much at technique when I rewatched the game, but I did notice that guys seemed slow off the ball and they weren't driving/chopping there feet on our bad rushes. 

48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Well, now I'm confused. This seems like the opposite of the "vanilla" talk we were hearing.

I think I can explain. We use the term “vanilla”, but Frost has said two things on the matter: there were fewer plays and he got too “schemy”. When dealing with something like an RPO it’s possible to have fewer plays but those plays can be more complicated. 

For instance, a simple RPO may involve reading a LB and if he plays run, throw the slant behind him, and if not it’s a run. A more complex RPO may involve a run read and then two pass options dependent on a secondary read. 

That second type of RPO is a lot more complex for the players but if the play results in a lot of runs, to us it looks very vanilla.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, brophog said:

I think I can explain. We use the term “vanilla”, but Frost has said two things on the matter: there were fewer plays and he got too “schemy”. When dealing with something like an RPO it’s possible to have fewer plays but those plays can be more complicated. 

For instance, a simple RPO may involve reading a LB and if he plays run, throw the slant behind him, and if not it’s a run. A more complex RPO may involve a run read and then two pass options dependent on a secondary read. 

That second type of RPO is a lot more complex for the players but if the play results in a lot of runs, to us it looks very vanilla.

There was a play in the second half where we ran a triple option with the first man motioning across the formation to the left. I think Adrian reads the playside (right side) DE first, then if he keeps he reads the CB at the second level. We didn't block the backside DE and the play side DE didn't crash, so the first read was a give. The unblocked DE ends up stuffing the play. I'm guessing we were supposed to pick up that backside guy, but playside everything was blocked well.

The formation and motion are nothing out of the ordinary (So, vanilla), but scheme was probably one of our more intricate run plays we use and it wasn't blocked right. That maybe something like what Frost is getting at.

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

The coaches are all over the map with excuses and it's making my head hurt.  I'm starting to miss the "we didn't execute" Pelini explanation.

Ya, I'm still trying to figure out how this coaching staff went 13-0 [with all the mistakes] that they seem to express on how they are now putting players in bad situations, etc.  Puzzling.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Same story, next verse.

If the coaches talk details, they're said to me making excuses

If they talk in generalities, it's "coach speak"

If they talk about the players, they're blaming them

If they talk about themselves, people say they want to see it no the field, not just talk about it

If people are upset or want to be upset, they'll find something to complain about.  

You generally hear complaints about what is being said doesn't jive with what you see on the field.  After years of different players "not executing" Pelini's scheme against Wisconsin one starts to wonder if it's Pelini's scheme at fault.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Ya, I'm still trying to figure out how this coaching staff went 13-0 [with all the mistakes] that they seem to express on how they are now putting players in bad situations, etc.  Puzzling.  

Different players, different situations, different opponents, and most of all - different mental hurdles. 

Do people remember what this program was like when Frost got here?! Damn, there's very little reasonable amount of patience going on right now. 

If any thing, I'm more encouraged because of the aggressiveness of the defense and vast improvement on special teams. The offense will be fine. Shoot, last year if the defense could have made 2-3 more stops a game on 3rd and long, we would have won 8 games. 

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

It happens. Frost said USA ran different stuff than they were expecting and he was stubborn about sticking to the gameplan when he should have switched it up. At least they are owning what went wrong so they can actually fix it. The overreactions right now are rampant. Just remember where this offense was a year ago. We didn't take a step back as a whole we just had a bad showing. 

• Plus1 1