Colorado Week Pressers

Mavric

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is not ideal. Jorgensen was very slow with his kicks last week. If Pickering can't go, we're looking at some weird fill-ins.

Beckton said yesterday that he was still expecting Pickering to kick this weekend even though he didn't practice yesterday.  Not sure if that is still the case.

Frost said several offensive guys were limited last week in practice and having them back this week seemed to make practice run better.   Listed Jurgens, Washington, Spielman and Noa.

May have been part of the reason why Spielman and Noa didn't get a lot of looks in the game - just not quite in snyc.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The most troubling aspect of the team's performance (primarily the offense) is that it just did not meet the expectations of the fans and public generally.   Most people, from causal observers to the 'insider' types within the local media) have had fairly tempered and realistic views.   These feelings were only reinforced, continually by the coaches from Frost on down and every position, with the exception of Austin whose interviews were always very reserved and hestiant.   I think the last week or so before game 1 when Frost announced he was starting Cam J at the center spot, Austin seemed particularly cautious.

I do think Cam will play much better this week but it is almost certain, in my opinion, that he was espectially nervous and lacked confidence to an extent.   I think the young linemen will make a fairly impressive jump up but Colorado will be attacking them like bees on honey no doubt.   We better have some special plans to help them out or it will not be pretty on a fairly significant portion of the plays.

Adrian was (and still is) under enormous pressure.   I don't remember any prior Husker QB, much less a young one with just about 10 games of experience under his belt, being put in this pressure by the Coaches.   Frost and Co have basically called him 'the best Husker QB ever" after one fairly good season, albeit on a team that won only 4 games.  Even Osborne has offered rare praise.  This puts Adrian in a tough spot where he is practically required to make great plays even if the rest of the team is still unproven and in the second year of a complete overhaul and rebuilding process.

Adrian didn't always play that well last year and is still very young in football playing time.  He is capable of making some special plays but following those plays with some 'No Nos" as well.   The most important thing, in my view, is for him to play as hard as he can and forget about the injury and and play like this game is his last one.   If he doesn't, it won't be long before he will be feeling the heat of the competition from the guys behind him.

I am fairly confident the team will play better but the offense will need to score atleast 28 and maintain a considerable edge in time of possession and not put our defense in very many field position holes to win.

I don't mean to be rude here but do people really take the time to read your extremely long posts? 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It also doesn't help when he keeps going on about time of possession. That doesn't matter for us!

Nobody would pay any attention to it if it weren’t in the box score. Every second you have the ball the other team isn’t scoring, but neither are you. That aspect gets too often missed. It’s impossible to score and keep the ball.

Cant fault any one poster for praising that flawed stat, though. It’s rammed down our throats by announcers and writers who fail to appreciate it’s an alternate possession game.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, brophog said:

Nobody would pay any attention to it if it weren’t in the box score. Every second you have the ball the other team isn’t scoring, but neither are you. That aspect gets too often missed. It’s impossible to score and keep the ball.

Cant fault any one poster for praising that flawed stat, though. It’s rammed down our throats by announcers and writers who fail to appreciate it’s an alternate possession game.

It is a HUGE stat if you are playing Keep-away!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, cheekygeek said:

It is a HUGE stat if you are playing Keep-away!

Simply having the ball certainly can be situationally useful, but the TOP stat as it relates to an entire game or to be seen as an objective of the game, is pretty much useless.

Time of possession is an inverse correlation stat. Meaning, it’s not that having a higher  time of possession causes wins but rather teams in a winning position generate time of possession. Why? Because they want to waste time. That’s really what you’re measuring.

It isn’t worth paying attention to for this reason. Everything you’d think your gaining by the metric is better handled by another metric. Your goal is to move the ball so that you can score, and stop the other team from doing the same. So those are the things worth measuring.

• Plus1 2