Colorado Week Pressers

Mavric

6 minutes ago, brophog said:

Simply having the ball certainly can be situationally useful, but the TOP stat as it relates to an entire game or to be seen as an objective of the game, is pretty much useless.

Time of possession is an inverse correlation stat. Meaning, it’s not that having a higher  time of possession causes wins but rather teams in a winning position generate time of possession. Why? Because they want to waste time. That’s really what you’re measuring.

It isn’t worth paying attention to for this reason. Everything you’d think your gaining by the metric is better handled by another metric. Your goal is to move the ball so that you can score, and stop the other team from doing the same. So those are the things worth measuring.

That's why it's difficult to get an idea of an offense based solely on "run-pass" ratio.  Winning teams are going to have higher run ratios because they are typically running the ball more in the 4th quarter. 

I like the advanced stats and analytics which take into # of plays, # of possessions, score, time in the game, and other factors.  Simply looking at the wrote numbers doesn't give the true story a lot of times.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's why it's difficult to get an idea of an offense based solely on "run-pass" ratio.  Winning teams are going to have higher run ratios because they are typically running the ball more in the 4th quarter. 

Correct. For the vast majority of teams that is also an inverse correlation. That’s why you’ll see teams with a very high number of passing yards lose, but rarely see the same from teams with high rushing yards. 

28 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

5 of the top 10 teams didn't make a bowl game for rushing yards per game last season. 7/10 won 7 games or less. 

I’m not sure where you’re getting that. The only teams I’m seeing in the Top 10 rushing yards per game that didn’t make a bowl are Air Force and Navy and those two definitely satisfy the qualifier of “vast majority”. 

Another little jab at Michigan from Frost in today's presser.  When asked about the revenge tour he said something about not using something from up north.  That's drifting into Buckeye hatred of Michigan territory.  I'm convinced he's so competitive that he can't let go of the split NC with those guys.  I love it.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Frost said the offense has practiced a lot better this week... so that's heartening.

The team shouldn't have any trouble motivating after all the crap they've gotten this week.

I'm hoping.  We're a bad game away from hearing "we need all 11 every moment" or some other comment.

I started watching NU seriously since 1993.  I've seen every '95 game available no less than 6 times each (CU, KSU, KU, OKSU, Florida) and know what good looks like.  It does not take 11 every play (against a Sun Belt team, Walters?)

Play to your potential.  Don't overthink.  Be loose.  Smash mouths.  

And, nothing feels better than deadened silence on the road.  Shut them up.

Except, damn NU travels 35k strong.  

31 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I'm hoping.  We're a bad game away from hearing "we need all 11 every moment" or some other comment.

I started watching NU seriously since 1993.  I've seen every '95 game available no less than 6 times each (CU, KSU, KU, OKSU, Florida) and know what good looks like.  It does not take 11 every play (against a Sun Belt team, Walters?)

I’m glad you’re not dwelling on this point.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

It takes all 11 to run the offense how its supposed to operate. Not sure why you feel the need to keep on it but Walters is a professional at coaching football and you are a random fan on a message board

• Plus1 1

And just to drive home the point, Walters likely watched every play from Saturday and graded every player. He knows each players job on each play and would be able to see what went wrong on any given play. I'm guessing no one on this board did a more thorough breakdown of Saturdays game than the staff. They know what went wrong and they aren't the type to sugar coat it. So if Walters says something was the issue or that it was just one player on alot of plays, I'm going to trust his analysis given how successful he has been at coaching offense in his career.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

And just to drive home the point, Walters likely watched every play from Saturday and graded every player. He knows each players job on each play and would be able to see what went wrong on any given play. I'm guessing no one on this board did a more thorough breakdown of Saturdays game than the staff. They know what went wrong and they aren't the type to sugar coat it. So if Walters says something was the issue or that it was just one player on alot of plays, I'm going to trust his analysis given how successful he has been at coaching offense in his career.

ARE YOU SURE? I RE-WATCHED THE WHOLE GAME AND I'VE WATCHED OTHER CLIPS AND HIGHLIGHTS LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF TIMES 

• Plus1 1