Those of you that do hiring...what awesome lies do you see on resumes?

Teach it’s honestly more about the honesty that some people display in their applications/resumes that always make me laugh. 

Reason for leaving? Didn’t like my boss. Boss was a jerk. Etc. 

That’s always my favorite and it’s probably on 2 out of 3 applicants forms. I’ll never understand not having a better answer there. Makes me laugh and makes me not hire that person! 

As for biggest lies. Salary is the big one there. Once you’ve seen enough applications with prior work experience from a certain place you kinda get to know the going rate being made there. So when everyone else makes $40,000 at that establishment and you made $90,000 you’re either f#&%ing awesome or you’re a liar that I can’t hire! 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, husker B-rent said:

As for biggest lies. Salary is the big one there. Once you’ve seen enough applications with prior work experience from a certain place you kinda get to know the going rate being made there. So when everyone else makes $40,000 at that establishment and you made $90,000 you’re either f#&%ing awesome or you’re a liar that I can’t hire! 

I'm hiring a position right now and using a head hunter to find the right person.  I've received several applications.  Every single one of them is total BS about what they are making.  Every bit of research we have done for this position shows they should be making about 2/3s of what these people claim they are.

• Fire 1
57 minutes ago, husker B-rent said:

Teach it’s honestly more about the honesty that some people display in their applications/resumes that always make me laugh. 

That’s always my favorite and it’s probably on 2 out of 3 applicants forms. I’ll never understand not having a better answer there. Makes me laugh and makes me not hire that person! 

So if you quit your job because your boss is a jerk and then use it as a reason you left the job on an app your not worthy of a job? And you say you want honesty in applicants but dont like it when you hear it? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, husker B-rent said:

Yeah, I totally get that boss part.  

My last boss was a pain in the a$$...she had a . policy of "not writing letters of rec" which in my field is HUGE, you basically need them to even apply for positions.  So basically she owned your a$$.

I even had an interview, where it was going great and then I got asked..."how come you don't have a letter of rec from her?" and I had to say "Well...she doesn't write them but feel free to call her" which of course made me look like an even bigger tool.

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm hiring a position right now and using a head hunter to find the right person.  I've received several applications.  Every single one of them is total BS about what they are making.  Every bit of research we have done for this position shows they should be making about 2/3s of what these people claim they are.

I'm in recruiting so the salary inflation is all too real, especially when it comes to sales.  There are so many variables that go into total compensation.  That being said, wages have been stagnant for a really long time so the only way you can get 20%+ bumps is to move around unless you're in IT or sales.  What kind of position are you looking to fill?

I work in IT and get people that know they aren't qualified for the positions I hire for, but they put stuff in like "i'm a quick learner" or "I build my own gaming rigs".  These people apply for Senior positions and i'm like welp I guess you can't get hired if you don't try.  I have called a few of them and gave them a phone interview but when i ask what salary range are they looking for they tell me things like "well I looked up a Sr IT Security Engineers salary range and though i don't have that much experience(try none, i've read your resume remember) they are starting at 75k, so about 80k yearly.".  I try to help and get these people's foot in the door so i say you're not really a fit for this position but we do have a few desktop support positions available and you can build up your experience and learn from people like me, but you will only make 16 an hour, they are no longer interested.  I have given up trying to give people a chance, this is how I got my chance and how I gained my experience, but no, they want to start at the top and be fired within a week when it's discovered they don't know their arse from their elbow because they built their home PC.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, man eating mastodon said:

So if you quit your job because your boss is a jerk and then use it as a reason you left the job on an app your not worthy of a job? And you say you want honesty in applicants but dont like it when you hear it? 

Didn’t say anyone wasn’t “worthy” but if getting along with your boss was an issue before then it was either the boss’s fault or your fault! Thems not good odds fella! 

Remove any doubt and just put down looking for a change in career path or something along those lines. That’s not lying, that’s just using a different truth. 

At at the end of the day we’ve all had bosses we didn’t like but not all of us put it on our applications.

4 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

Pretty much what Husker B said above.

I'll give you another...more extreme case to explain.

I was hiring general labor and two guys came in and applied.  I looked at their applications and they actually should have still been in HS.  When I asked why they weren't in HS, they both said they quit because all the teachers were a$$ holes and they didn't get along with them.

Well.....dumbest answer....but, I appreciated their honestly.  If I would have hired them, I will guarantee you that I would have been the next a$$ hole they talked about with their next place of employment.....in short time.

• Fire 1