*** 2019 Game 2 "Expert" Picks: Nebraska at Colorado ***

Saunders

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Dude, what are you talking about??? You miss a block or don't hold it long enough at any point, anywhere in the play and a good defensive athlete is going to stuff it. Granted the severity of the mistake reduces the farther you get from the ball/playside, but the fact remains that if you don't drive a guy off the ball or even block him the play is dead. If you're lucky Rex or Ameer is bailing you out through sheer will, but you have to do your job!

Plays are designed to account for every man on the defense, everybody has to do their job for a play to work as designed.

There are specific key players and moments of truth for every play.  There are dozens of plays each game where an individual grades poorly though the team yielded a positive play, even a touchdown. Look at Cam Newton or Vince Young or Tommie Frazier or...great players and great teams overcome individual failures. 

There are key inflection points on every play. To say you need 11 is absurd, and if taken literally, is then a unique and complicated offense most top schools don’t adhere to. You don’t need 11 every play.  You need key players making the right play for a particular call. 

9 minutes ago, brophog said:

Held did a good job Wednesday saying what needs to be said, but not directly calling guys out. We can do the math ourselves, if Adrian gets carries and Robinson gets some carries it’s hard to support 3 RBs....and he’s really high on Rahmir. 

Nice, that's good. I haven't caught that interview yet.

The problem out there in the first half were the plays where the blocking was just good enough to make some gains and Mills just didn't get it done many times. As I watched back through the game, when he went outside the tackles his vision seemed much better. 

Obviously to his credit, much of the time when he ran inside, the blocking was poor.

*Edit: I do also think Mills gets the benefit of the doubt of being out of FBS play for a full two years and maybe had some nerves. He was a good pickup for us and I'm excited to see us play this weekend.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I do also think Mills gets the benefit of the doubt of being out of FBS play for a full two years and maybe had some nerves. He was a good pickup for us and I'm excited to see us play this weekend.

Held mentioned it was a different sort of offense and he has to adapt to that.

He will be patient with that, but 3 years of his words and actions strongly suggest that patience has a limit. Every year he’s been with Frost they’ve had a group of backs get carries early and then get whittled down. Some of those guys got a lot of carries those first three or four games only to be sidelined the latter half. 

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

Nice, that's good. I haven't caught that interview yet.

The problem out there in the first half were the plays where the blocking was just good enough to make some gains and Mills just didn't get it done many times. As I watched back through the game, when he went outside the tackles his vision seemed much better. 

Obviously to his credit, much of the time when he ran inside, the blocking was poor.

*Edit: I do also think Mills gets the benefit of the doubt of being out of FBS play for a full two years and maybe had some nerves. He was a good pickup for us and I'm excited to see us play this weekend.

I think the Bell situation from last season shows that if guys don't produce, they won't play.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, Undone said:

No matter what anybody says, we're kind of missing Ziggy right now. I do have faith that Held can get Mills right, though. I like the combo of the bigger, stronger back along with having Mo in there and we have that with Mills...but he's got to read his blocks on those zone plays.

I would say it's more accurate to say we were missing Washington in the first half.  When he was in there, he was having good success.

26 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think the Bell situation from last season shows that if guys don't produce, they won't play.

Totally agree. But I think it then begs the question of whether or not:

1. Mo can carry the entire weight of the carries in physical conference play.

2. If "no" to #1 above, who's really dependable besides Mills?

This is why I said repeatedly in the spring that if Mo were to somehow get suspended/whatever due to the legal stuff that we could potentially be in for a big hit this season.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Totally agree. But I think it then begs the question of whether or not:

1. Mo can carry the entire weight of the carries in physical conference play.

2. If "no" to #1 above, who's really dependable besides Mills?

This is why I said repeatedly in the spring that if Mo were to somehow get suspended/whatever due to the legal stuff that we could potentially be in for a big hit this season.

Which goes to Held’s point this week...he hopes to have both Rahmir and Thompkins ready by conference play. That probably won’t happen, particularly the latter, but that’s their goal. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

Washington is a great talent, and any team would be hard pressed to replace their top back.

But Held is an excellent coach with high expectations.  I'd trust his plan B.