Sam Koch

Devin Hester did a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) and was asked who the punter was he hated going up against.  His answer:

"Sam Koch. If Sam was allowed to punt the way he did in practice, you didn't want to catch none of his balls. He had a leaf ball. It wasn't a knuckleball. Imagine a leaf dropping 100 feet from the air the way it swoops back and forth. It looked like a leaf falling from the sky. Only faster."

It was a very solid AMA, usually they can be kind of a crap shoot but he answered some good questions.

https://old.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/czmsxb/im_devin_hester_the_nfl_recordholder_for_punt/

• Plus1 2

Far be it from me to question Devin Hester or doubt the abilities of Sam Koch but it seems to me the leaf ball he describes would be near impossible for a punter to control. They can do some things like a knuckleball etc. but I would think simple physics would preclude his swooping back and forth like a leaf description. Maybe with some wind current help but surely not because of how it was kicked...?

5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Far be it from me to question Devin Hester or doubt the abilities of Sam Koch but it seems to me the leaf ball he describes would be near impossible for a punter to control. They can do some things like a knuckleball etc. but I would think simple physics would preclude his swooping back and forth like a leaf description. Maybe with some wind current help but surely not because of how it was kicked...?

Physics??

What are you...some kinda nerd!

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Someone did include this video of Sam talking about punting.  I'll admit I didn't watch the entire thing...because it's about punting...and I just don't have that kind of patience.

https://youtu.be/5oZYO0FbZ_A

• Plus1 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...