Scott Frost

Waldo

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How is Chinander a liability? The defense looks way better in general. The offense is providing no support right now. If we score the ball consistently this team looks good and that is what Frost wants to do. I bet we don't give up 24 in a quarter if we would have just scored a TD out of the gate in the second half.

Most non liabilities don’t give up 24 in the fourth quarter regardless of what the offense does right out of the gate

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How is Chinander a liability? The defense looks way better in general. The offense is providing no support right now. If we score the ball consistently this team looks good and that is what Frost wants to do. I bet we don't give up 24 in a quarter if we would have just scored a TD out of the gate in the second half.

Hell we just needed some first downs in the 3rd quarter. I have little to complain about the defense. On the field way too long in altitude....yeah you're going to start missing tackles. The offense needs some bread and butter plays to fall back on.

Even a single first down on a couple of those 3 and outs in the 3rd means CU doesn't get enough possessions to win that game.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, irafreak said:

Hell we just needed some first downs in the 3rd quarter. I have little to complain about the defense. On the field way too long in altitude....yeah you're going to start missing tackles. The offense needs some bread and butter plays to fall back on.

Even a single first down on a couple of those 3 and outs in the 3rd means CU doesn't get enough possessions to win that game.

Exactly. The offense needs to give the D a break out there in the second half when it matters most. It's interesting because we really saw these offensive dead periods last year too where the D would have to hold their own to keep us in the game. Once this offense starts scoring consistently I think everything falls into place.

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The defense has propped up the offense in both of these games. Right now the offense is the liability and anyone with eyes can see that.

Here’s what has me worried. We can quibble about the defense but we can probably agree it isn’t as good as Utah’s.  And we can have a debate if our offense is better than Utah’s. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But Utah is damn sure a better team than Colorado and NIU gave them a hell of a game. And they’ve beaten Nebraska in memorial and won’t be the slightest bit scared. 

Lets hope this team and staff are sufficiently awake now to take them seriously. 

22 minutes ago, Undone said:

You might have to be more specific about this. To me, I thought Frost/Walters had us lining up with four or five guys out wide way too much in the third quarter instead of trying to run to setup better third downs. 

Not one downfield shot, vanilla play calling, very few, if any QB runs, the defense went less attack, more contain mode. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

This place is already becoming like HuskerMax. 

Sad...

No............no it's not. ;)

What Frost and Co need to understand is that for 20 years now we've lacked a killer instinct minus the 2009 defense. Nebraska has made it a culture to take their foot off of the gas when they get ahead, shrink down when we get punched in the mouth, and come out flat numerous times out of halftime when we need to put a game away. They need to stay aggressive with play calling, let the defense fly around, and not play to NOT lose a game. All this talk of no fear of failure in the off-season yet that's what I saw in the 2nd half. Fear of losing the game, fear of calling aggressive offensive calls, fear of letting the defense fly around and stay aggressive. Take the god damn barriers down and just play football!!! 

They have time to turn this thing around, the goal is Indy this season anyways as no one thinks we're N.C. ready anyways minus delusional Iowa fans that have dreamnt up in their head that that's what we all think. The B1G West is there for the taking, can't be afraid to go and take it though. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We started last year 0-6 looking pretty bad.......I think Frost is telling the truth when he says we are better across the board than last year. I bet if you compared practice from this time last year and right now they look worlds apart. Give it time we will get better each week.

I don’t fully agree with this. We had the same results as last year vs Colorado. Except this time Martinez played the whole game. Plus they are in year 1 of a new coach. So one could argue we actually did worse than last year vs Colorado. Also this was game 2 so we had a warmup game 

• Plus1 1

Our head coach often appears bewildered by poor play on our part.  He seems to be used to a different sort of Husker attitude throughout the entire game.  My guess is that when he came here he expected to be able to turn the tide on that attitude thing rather quickly, just by his presence (I admit to thinking/hoping/expecting the same thing).

Remember the opposing teams's comments in the old days?  "They don't care if you know what they're doing, what the next play is.  They just pound it out for what they need."   We don't see that very often on offence or defence for a whole game.

26 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

Here’s what has me worried. We can quibble about the defense but we can probably agree it isn’t as good as Utah’s.  And we can have a debate if our offense is better than Utah’s. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But Utah is damn sure a better team than Colorado and NIU gave them a hell of a game. And they’ve beaten Nebraska in memorial and won’t be the slightest bit scared. 

Lets hope this team and staff are sufficiently awake now to take them seriously. 

I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that. Transitive wins are the worst point you can make. I don't give a s#!t about Utah unless they are on our schedule. Lets hope you can start having some better takes so I can take you seriously.

15 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don’t fully agree with this. We had the same results as last year vs Colorado. Except this time Martinez played the whole game. Plus they are in year 1 of a new coach. So one could argue we actually did worse than last year vs Colorado. Also this was game 2 so we had a warmup game 

We would have looked bad against Akron last year I think. We were on the road this year as well, that makes a difference. My main point is I would be surprised if we looked better in practice last year than we do this year. We will get better just like we did last year.

47 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Not one downfield shot, vanilla play calling, very few, if any QB runs, the defense went less attack, more contain mode

I think we were looking for downfield shots but their defense was covering well and Adrian's instinct to take off and run when the 1st & 2nd runs weren't there just wasn't setting in. I think Martinez actually avoided throwing downfield into traffic really well when the play wasn't there, which is something that he didn't do last week.

We have to have more of a run game when we're up. We couldn't move the chains when we were spreading it out wide.

4 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Only your first line has anything to do with the crap I quoted and even then it didn't address anything.

Oh okay :rolleyes: but it doesn't need to address anything, this place isn't becoming like HuskerMax, you're throwing stuff against the wall hoping that it sticks. Simple as that...........and the thread is about Scott Frost so I gave my opinion on the coaches and what I see. That part had ZERO to do with you. 

4 hours ago, CapoValley said:

Most non liabilities don’t give up 24 in the fourth quarter regardless of what the offense does right out of the gate

It's not hard to see a defense give up that many points when the offense constantly goes three and out and the game is played at altitude.  The D didn't blow this game.  The O did.  The D played far too many snaps.  The D was hung out to dry.