What did we learn? (The Rocky Mountain Low Edition)

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It hasn't been a day, it's been a year and a half. If it takes more time, fine, but how much evidence is there of us actually correctly building Rome or the Taj Mahal? Meanwhile, it doesn't seem to take any other schools much longer than a year and a half to build their own respective Romes that are disciplined, talented and high performing.

I put it on Frost as the playcaller. The first half was magnificent and perfect, then we come out with zero adjustment, zero playcalling creativity and we abandoned the QB run and a lot of the passing schemes we were having so much success with. And we went completely flat, lost all our groove, and kept our defense on the field until they broke.

Does nobody else that Frost as a decision maker is a bit like a high schooler playing Madden? There are times where there's too much of ego, greed, and inexplicable lulls.

How much friggin time does he need to put a respectable program on the field.  Where the hell did the 4-2 down the stretch team go.  We look like Day 1 week 1 out there today. Complete regression.  Penalties, missed, tackles.  A time out to start the half...SMH.  I mentioned ego as well.  Humble yourself and get some help on how to adjust on the fly.  Every team we face will and does.... 

Here is a free hint to Frost.  USA showed our opponents how to beat your O.  Delayed blitzes and stunts.  Martinez can't process those after his initial read. Maybe use a lot more motion to try and force the D to show their intent.  

Traffic on I-80 drives angry after a loss like that.  :blink:

I don't get what we're doing with this scheme. Watching UCF, these coaches had guys running wide open in the secondary a LOT. They are not doing that here - is that because we lack talent, or because they think they need to call games different in the Big Ten?

Our defense is playing a lot better, but a lot of YAC from Colorado came because we were trying to strip the ball rather than make sure tackles.

Our guys got tired in the second half. Both sides of the ball. Duvall had his people in great shape to run, run, run at UCF. Did they add too much bulk to these guys for the Big Ten? Again, seems like a different approach.

I see a lot of people saying Martinez is holding the ball too long. There's some truth to that, but there's an issue with guys simply not being open. Either two defenses in a row know exactly where the first read is and take it away, or there's nowhere to throw the ball to. Or Martinez isn't seeing the field. Something is off, and I don't think it's all on Martinez.

These guys need to stop believing they're Nebraska, and just play humble, hard-working football. I get the impression they're told from recruiting on up that "We are Nebraska," meaning they're going to be that team we remember from 20 years ago. They have to stop thinking that. We are light-years from those teams.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I put it on Frost as the playcaller. The first half was magnificent and perfect, then we come out with zero adjustment, zero playcalling creativity and we abandoned the QB run and a lot of the passing schemes we were having so much success with. And we went completely flat, lost all our groove, and kept our defense on the field until they broke.

Martinez first half - 6 carries for 45 yards

Martinez second half - 7 carries for 54 yards

Fun takes, though.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

- We have a severe psychological problem.  We've moved away from the loser mentality instilled by Reilley but we have a complacency problem and no killer instinct.  It was extremely apparent after halftime.  The play calling on defense was less aggressive but that doesn't fully account for the player demeanor.  Both offense and defense were low energy.  Laziness?

- The emphasis of turnovers on defense and coaching how to force turnovers has been excellent.  They need to always be using these techniques while playing solid defense.  Too often, and usually late in the game they are trying to force fumbles to solve the problem that they are giving up chunk plays.  The more they do this, the more chunk plays they give up.

-  I blame execution more than offensive play calling (see first point).  When we get into this situation Frost has a tendency to fall back to WR screens and that short TE out and they get stuffed.  Our defense is not good enough for the offense to go MIA for long periods of time.  They don't necessarily need to score but at least move the ball to help with field position.

-  No team could ask for better fan support then what Nebraska fans showed today.  We deserve a better performance.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

These guys need to stop believing they're Nebraska, and just play humble, hard-working football. I get the impression they're told from recruiting on up that "We are Nebraska," meaning they're going to be that team we remember from 20 years ago. They have to stop thinking that. We are light-years from those teams.

I think every coach since TO has struggled with this. He built a culture to withstand the praise and inevitable scrutiny. Frost understood it as a player but it's a different animal being the leader of the entire program. 

I wish I could throw out some wisdom, that would rate, but the only people who can fix this, are or should be hurting, a lot more than us fans! If they aren’t hurting, they need to check their ______cards in. 

As for us fans or our allegiance to the Huskers, we see it all the time. Disappointment causes temporary insanity due to the belief we are, what we are not yet, and a loss throws us into this fit of rage. I get it, my tank feels empty too, but will carry on.

Tomorrow will come, and the disappointment will subside, until next time, or until we get it right.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Oof.  Never would have thought Frost was going to be another "wait and see" guy.  I really thought he was THE guy.

I'm willing to give him more time to get this going. That's the whole point here. Still think he is THE guy. Whole lotta football left to be played.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Martinez first half - 6 carries for 45 yards

Martinez second half - 7 carries for 54 yards

Fun takes, though.

Why are your posts always so snide and condescending?

We started the third quarter with a Martinez run on 1st down, 3rd down, then another on the next 2nd down. They went for 5 yards, 2 yards (and a first down), and 14 yards.

That was at 13:06 left in the 3rd quarter. The next Martinez run was 7:47 left in the 4th. Punt, punt, punt, punt, single play touchdown, fumble, then Adrian starts getting ran a bit more and we drive the field and score.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

At least we no longer have to worry about Gameday coming to Lincoln against OSU. I dont look for Nebraska to host Gameday at all this season unless they run the table leading up to Wisconsin and Wisky is undefeated.

Being ranked goes away too.  Colorado is a bad team and will collapse.  Forget Indy.  All pressure is off.  The team's main focus the rest of the season should be scratching, clawing, doing anything and everything possible short of cheating to get wins.  They need to learn how to fight for wins game by game.

• Plus1 3