What did we learn? (The Rocky Mountain Low Edition)

14 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

1. Where the hell are the tight ends? Stoll and Allen are more than capable of making some plays or finding holes in the defense 

2. Martinez played better this week but still wasn't overly impressive. He did look better running the ball, but threw a duck TD to Spielman and Mo took a swing pass 75 yards 

3. Frost, even last year, is way too conservative of a play caller. Where have the WR screens gone that he loved last year? We throw over 10 yards like 2x a game. 

4. I don't care what anyone says on here. I still don't think Chin is a good D coordinator. Colorado didn't have a run game, was down so we knew they had to throw the ball. I get the offense sucked in the 2H but if our team scores 31 points you should win the damn game. 24 points in the 4th quarter was atrocious. 

5. Mazour, Johnson, W Farniok, Woodyard, Raridon, and Williams deserve to play. I felt Woodyard looked solid in camp and is a true burner. 

6. We play to not lose the game. Frost really conservative in the 2H and Chinander just sat back a lot more waiting for them instead of attacking like the 1H. I feel we game plan a good opening drive and then we lose our brains. 

I still believe in Frost. It will just take longer than what people want. 

The defense was gassed in the 4th quarter because the playcalling and execution on offense sucked in the third quarter. 

22 minutes ago, lo country said:

Correct.  He was a big back that got yards.  He was more than capable to "grind it out" as evidenced by the yards per carry.  I don't think we have that guy on the roster "yet".  Some have the potential, but most of what I see Mo do is outside runs, not really a "grinder".  Same with Wandale.  Mills "fits" the mold, but hasn't developed into that guy yet.  

I remember Frost commented early last season that Oz was the back that could get you 5 yards when you needed 2 and get you 5 yards when you needed 15.  He exploded against Minnesota and proved Frost wrong.  I think Mills fits that mold.

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

1. Where the hell are the tight ends? Stoll and Allen are more than capable of making some plays or finding holes in the defense 

2. Martinez played better this week but still wasn't overly impressive. He did look better running the ball, but threw a duck TD to Spielman and Mo took a swing pass 75 yards 

3. Frost, even last year, is way too conservative of a play caller. Where have the WR screens gone that he loved last year? We throw over 10 yards like 2x a game. 

4. I don't care what anyone says on here. I still don't think Chin is a good D coordinator. Colorado didn't have a run game, was down so we knew they had to throw the ball. I get the offense sucked in the 2H but if our team scores 31 points you should win the damn game. 24 points in the 4th quarter was atrocious. 

5. Mazour, Johnson, W Farniok, Woodyard, Raridon, and Williams deserve to play. I felt Woodyard looked solid in camp and is a true burner. 

6. We play to not lose the game. Frost really conservative in the 2H and Chinander just sat back a lot more waiting for them instead of attacking like the 1H. I feel we game plan a good opening drive and then we lose our brains. 

I still believe in Frost. It will just take longer than what people want. 

I think we all kind of knew that when we hired him. It was all good when the romance was new, but now that he's not magically pulling wins out of the hat like he did at UCF the sky is falling.  I didn't realize how much of a project Frost as a coach is.  He's going to be fine as long as he capable of adjusting his coaching philosophy a little. We were able to romanticize losses in year one,  but losses in year two will not be so kind. 

2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I remember Frost commented early last season that Oz was the back that could get you 5 yards when you needed 2 and get you 5 yards when you needed 15.  He exploded against Minnesota and proved Frost wrong.  I think Mills fits that mold.

I'm hoping he can become that guy.  OL needs to help him for sure.  Oz worked his butt off and became that guy.  I think Mills, from all accounts, has the work ethic and want to.

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

I think we all kind of knew that when we hired him. It was all good when the romance was new, but now that he's not magically pulling wins out of the hat like he did at UCF the sky is falling.  I didn't realize how much of a project Frost as a coach is.  He's going to be fine as long as he capable of adjusting his coaching philosophy a little. We were able to romanticize losses in year one,  but losses in year two will not be so kind. 

No HC at Nebraska deserves a pass. Every loss matters to me. We will see if he's able to tweak things. It's still too early to hit the panic button. 

Just now, FTW said:

No HC at Nebraska deserves a pass. Every loss matters to me. We will see if he's able to tweak things. It's still too early to hit the panic button. 

Absolutely too early.  I just don't think anyone actually realized that Frost is as much of a project as any of the players. Maybe we said it, but it didn't really fit into our rainbow narrative. 

If it would take Frost 3 or 4 years to make this thing go, is that the end of the world?  I mean we are only two seasons removed from losing to North Illinois, and one season removed from losing 6 games in a row to start the season.  Hate to say this but Riley set this program back in his tenure, and it is going to take some time to get the cupboard.  Pelini let the program slide some as well before he was let go.  We can't undo our past, but if we would have just hired Frost before we did the Riley experiment, I think we would be contending now.  So when i say or have said we lack talent, a better way of putting that is we lack depth.  This is why I think it will at least 3 or 4 years to get depth behind our starting group.

36 minutes ago, FTW said:

Well... He did coach under Saban, at Georgia, and others. Those are some bigger schools vs Oregon, whom the PAC 12 can't even beat the SEC and the AAC which is a weak conference in of itself. At this point, you could say Mel Tucker is a better coach than Frost.

Fanbase. Is. Fragile. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, lo country said:

I'm hoping he can become that guy.  OL needs to help him for sure.  Oz worked his butt off and became that guy.  I think Mills, from all accounts, has the work ethic and want to.

It seemed like we could pound the middle better last year with Oz.  I suspected Foster and Farmer lacked the mobility that Frost wanted but they were effective people movers and their loss is being felt.

1 minute ago, gorp512 said:

All things considered (Moving to a new, difficult position in a complex offense, bulking up, starting after redshirting), Didn't think Jurgens looks THAT bad. His gamesmanship with this project tells you a lot about the kid. 

and that's our new yard stick- he didn't play that bad.  Just kidding- I thought the same thing. He's going to be very good