What did we learn? (The Rocky Mountain Low Edition)

3 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

If it would take Frost 3 or 4 years to make this thing go, is that the end of the world?  I mean we are only two seasons removed from losing to North Illinois, and one season removed from losing 6 games in a row to start the season.  Hate to say this but Riley set this program back in his tenure, and it is going to take some time to get the cupboard.  Pelini let the program slide some as well before he was let go.  We can't undo our past, but if we would have just hired Frost before we did the Riley experiment, I think we would be contending now.  So when i say or have said we lack talent, a better way of putting that is we lack depth.  This is why I think it will at least 3 or 4 years to get depth behind our starting group.

We might be a few weeks removed from losing to NIU 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

If it would take Frost 3 or 4 years to make this thing go, is that the end of the world?  I mean we are only two seasons removed from losing to North Illinois, and one season removed from losing 6 games in a row to start the season.  Hate to say this but Riley set this program back in his tenure, and it is going to take some time to get the cupboard.  Pelini let the program slide some as well before he was let go.  We can't undo our past, but if we would have just hired Frost before we did the Riley experiment, I think we would be contending now.  So when i say or have said we lack talent, a better way of putting that is we lack depth.  This is why I think it will at least 3 or 4 years to get depth behind our starting group.

Nope- win now.  I don't care how.  No excuses. 

5 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

How much weight does this carry when we are talking about USA and Colorado though? It's Tuckers first year and we have more talent and depth than they do. That shouldn't be an excuse. I think we will be fine but some of this is coaching right now. 

I learned that this is still a young team that's learning how to win. Two weeks in a row we've had teams on a rope and could have out them away. Mentally tough teams do that and we just aren't there yet. I think the older guys still have the soft Riley mentality and it rubs off on the younger guys. 

I also learned that Frost still has some learning to do as a HC he's only just started his 4th year as head man and he's taking some lumps. He'll get there though. 

We've had more talent than both these teams and they very easily could have been blow outs in NU's favor. However mentally we're not strong enough to do that yet. It honestly just might take game reps and experiences like this to get there. 

It sucks and I'm grumpy and out of koolaid, but i think we can improve down the stretch. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

and that's our new yard stick- he didn't play that bad.  Just kidding- I thought the same thing. He's going to be very good

They had him at 285 today. He was what, 240/245 as a recruit? Still looks like he has room to grow and he is getting used to his size. Just hope if he ever gets over 300 he maintains his athleticism

Can't win with defense. It's just the way football is played today.   When Frost was hired, I think we all believed that he was 2nd coming of Osborne-and Osborne NEVER let his foot off the gas. Just ask Saban. lol.  It just seems strange the Osborne's protégé played an entire half not to lose. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

They had him at 285 today. He was what, 240/245 as a recruit? Still looks like he has room to grow and he is getting used to his size. Just hope if he ever gets over 300 he maintains his athleticism

he's such a baby- in terms of years of life.  I can't imagine the pressure of starting college and the hopes and dreams of an entire fan base. Lots of pressure

12 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I learned that this is still a young team that's learning how to win. Two weeks in a row we've had teams on a rope and could have out them away. Mentally tough teams do that and we just aren't there yet. I think the older guys still have the soft Riley mentality and it rubs off on the younger guys. 

I also learned that Frost still has some learning to do as a HC he's only just started his 4th year as head man and he's taking some lumps. He'll get there though. 

We've had more talent than both these teams and they very easily could have been blow outs in NU's favor. However mentally we're not strong enough to do that yet. It honestly just might take game reps and experiences like this to get there. 

It sucks and I'm grumpy and out of koolaid, but i think we can improve down the stretch. 

Honestly it is like a carbon copy of last year right now to me. I think we will see the same type of progression only faster and even more promising because the defense is more solid.

• Plus1 1

-mills/wandale/other newcomers have not been able to replace what zigbo/morgan gave us last year.

-martinez is in a sophomore slump, but i believe he's going to get out of it.

-mo washington looked special today. JD was good as usual

-defense has clearly improved, but got tired at the end.

-we might win this game if our starting kicker doesn't get hurt. which happens to maybe 5 teams a year?

all in all i think we are still a 6-8 win team. i think we need a few more playmakers on offense to step up before we are truly a great team. 

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Correct.  He was a big back that got yards.  He was more than capable to "grind it out" as evidenced by the yards per carry.  I don't think we have that guy on the roster "yet".  Some have the potential, but most of what I see Mo do is outside runs, not really a "grinder".  Same with Wandale.  Mills "fits" the mold, but hasn't developed into that guy yet.  

Yards per carry tells you nothing about grinding it out.

One run for 70 yards then 9 carries for 0 yards is 7.0 ypc.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Honestly it is like a carbon copy of last year right now to me. I think we will see the same type of progression only faster and even more promising because the defense is more solid.

I agree I think that a switch might just flip like last year and this team plays way different. The last two weeks we've shown we can be a good team but mental lapses ruin it. 

As pissed as Adrian was in the post game interview his switch may flip soon. 

It seems to me that the Nebraska fans are doing everything in their power to lift this team, which keeps disappointing us week in, week out. The Nebraska fans filled Folsom stadium today and made it feel like a home game yet our team found a way to disappoint these loyal fans. We keep making excuses for the team and Frost. I am sorry but I am tired of all the bullcrap hype before the season only for the team to lay a goose egg when the season starts. Whether the fault lies on the players or the coaches, I don’t care, this fan base deserves better. We have been patient for 20 years now. How long until we get back to being a team that competes for championships! Another decade? Never? It would be nice if we saw improvement...this feels like another 5-7 season if we don’t start showing some grit and passion.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yards per carry tells you nothing about grinding it out.

One run for 70 yards then 9 carries for 0 yards is 7.0 ypc.

That's not what he did.  You just can't admit he could get the yards?  You wouldn't want him back in this O?  I'm confused.  7th in the B1G for rushing, 2nd in TD's, 3rd in TD's  from scrimmage, 5th in yrds from scrimmage, 4th in total TD's....I think he was a good back last year.  Unless I am missing something.

Just now, lo country said:

That's not what he did.  You just can't admit he could get the yards?  You wouldn't want him back in this O?  I'm confused.  7th in the B1G for rushing, 2nd in TD's, 3rd in TD's  from scrimmage, 5th in yrds from scrimmage, 4th in total TD's....I think he was a good back last year.  Unless I am missing something.

Amazing what Frost's offense can do for a guy, isn't it?