What did we learn? (The Rocky Mountain Low Edition)

Frost is too c$%ky for his own good in games and loses like this will hopefully help humble him and probably some other guys up

2 the defense did give up big plays but what killed them was tackling (again) blame the staff if you want but a player should know how to wrap up well before playing D1 football, whether that be at Nebraska or South Dakota State.   

1 minute ago, twofittyonred said:

A for effort in the first and half of the second quarters but you could see them wearing out.  When Colorado came out the second half running D-Line stunts..... It fell apart...  We will not do much until that room is fixed..!

Colorado did what south Alabama did to us in the 2nd half last week. Rush 3 & 8 man zone. It kills me to see us struggle with a 3 man rush.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, FTW said:

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Like Frost said, we used to be the Taj Mahal of CFB. It's gonna take time...

It hasn't been a day, it's been a year and a half. If it takes more time, fine, but how much evidence is there of us actually correctly building Rome or the Taj Mahal? Meanwhile, it doesn't seem to take any other schools much longer than a year and a half to build their own respective Romes that are disciplined, talented and high performing.

8 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I won't lie, i put this loss 90% on the offense. They needed to come out in the 2nd half and step on CU's throat and couldn't... defense held up for a while but i thought they got tired because they were on the field so much. 

I put it on Frost as the playcaller. The first half was magnificent and perfect, then we come out with zero adjustment, zero playcalling creativity and we abandoned the QB run and a lot of the passing schemes we were having so much success with. And we went completely flat, lost all our groove, and kept our defense on the field until they broke.

Does nobody else that Frost as a decision maker is a bit like a high schooler playing Madden? There are times where there's too much of ego, greed, and inexplicable lulls.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Frost lost us that game. He squandered an amazing opportunity to put it away in the 3rd, and he completely botched his end of the game management. That game should've been something along the lines of 34-10 if it wasn't for Frost's coaching. That was ugly and frustrating as hell and, weird, even now with a new coach and all this hype, our program is still snakebit the exact same way it has been since 2001.

I cant agree more. That was real ugly and a head scratcher. I'm dismayed and dont really know what to think. My son was balling at the end of the game and I was just in shock that we managed to squander a 17 pt lead.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

This is a long/medium term rebuild. I think a lot of fans including myself were whistling past the graveyard when it came to talent. No player was drafted after last season. Frost isn't off the hook but this thing isn't going to happen as fast as I'd hoped. Until it starts to click there's going to be a lot of grin and bearing it. 

Still a big believer in Frost but it's about improvement and getting to a bowl game this year imo.

Colorado had one player drafted in the 6th round last year. Have a new coach, average depth and players.

Nebraska was up 17-0 with the ball coming out of half. Had 20 minutes to gameplan their next drive and called a F$&king timeout to negate a potential delay of game to start the half. I’ve never seen that in my life. 

• Plus1 2

I'll be angry and honest.

Frost has a lot of learning to do to become successful in the Power 5.  A lot.

Lack of ability to adjust on the fly.

The 2nd half play calling was horrific at best

Needing a TO to begin the half.  WTH. Seriously.

Missing getting the TO in the 4th.

Needs to leave his ego at the door and evaluate his "system"

Our OL gave Martinez time.  He pushed the ball. Didn't set his feet.  As others mentioned.  Where is his swagger.  I said last week he played apathetic. Same in the 2nd half. 

Play calling. I have no idea what our scheme is.  We seem completely out of kilter with no play setting up another one.  If we ran any RPO today, I think I missed most of them.

You can't win football games if you cannot run between the tackles.  

The staff did know favors in play calling.  The reads Martinez could make last year are gone.  They had no designed rollouts, no traps, draws, misdirection etc to help negate the "rush" in the 2nd half.  No shuttle pass, one PA that I liked.  Nothing.

The defense did great in the first half. no adjustments in the 2nd.  They negated our pressure with quick passes, wildcat and ability to run between the tackles.

JoJo is a gogo.  Needs to be in every down.  

Fundamentals continue to plague NU.  Dropped balls, missed tackles and penalties.

Mills might get there.  He has heart.  I watched there RB carry 5 guys for multiple yards.  I watched Shenault carry dudes for yards.  We need a hammer in a desperate way.

Speaking of Shenault we need that bog bodied 50/50 beast receiver.  We do not.

IMHO, the fancy offense won't win games that count. Watching Oregon the other night, they are fast and physical.  We are not.  I am still waiting for Husker Power to arrive.  I'm actually waiting for the O to arrive as well.

Not sold on Chin and the D or several other staff.  Not my call.  Like Frost, they are in over their head right now IMHO.

Overall, we had them on the ropes and the staff let up and win.  This loss was on the staff.

I'd open up a competition at every position to include QB.  I recall Dabo saying why he went woth Lawrence over Bryant.  He had to do what was best for the team, not an individual player.  

Moos and his 6-6 barometer is looking like an accurate prediction.

Our S&C might be better at NU, but we are still woefully behind other programs IMHO.  

NU has a long way to go.  Frost was correct in asking for a guaranteed 7 years.

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Everyone seems to believe it every year. How do people not learn? I get more frustrated with fans than I ever do with the team. Unrealistic expectations, ungrateful attitudes and unrealistic hype are all so obvious but unavoidable. Twitter is full of people already calling for Frost's job and calling for Luke McCaffrey to start. We're all f#&%ing idiots and I feel like a damn fool for actually getting optimistic about this team. Again.

I mean...like you said, we are all idiots.  We don't want to think the season will be s#!tty...so we fall for it.

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It hasn't been a day, it's been a year and a half. If it takes more time, fine, but how much evidence is there of us actually correctly building Rome or the Taj Mahal? Meanwhile, it doesn't seem to take any other schools much longer than a year and a half to build their own respective Romes that are disciplined, talented and high performing.

I put it on Frost as the playcaller. The first half was magnificent and perfect, then we come out with zero adjustment, zero playcalling creativity and we abandoned the QB run and a lot of the passing schemes we were having so much success with. And we went completely flat, lost all our groove, and kept our defense on the field until they broke.

Does nobody else that Frost as a decision maker is a bit like a high schooler playing Madden? There are times where there's too much of ego, greed, and inexplicable lulls.

It was a team loss.  Poor oline, poor tackling, poor playcalling, poor def. Communication.

Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

It was a team loss.  Poor oline, poor tackling, poor playcalling, poor def. Communication.

ALL of that goes to the offensive playcalling.

The line played amazing in the first half when the coaches were setting them up for success and giving Adrian good reads. The defense played amazing for three quarters with really good tackling until they finally broke due to exhaustion and the odds of eventually giving something up because the offense completely disappeared. 

6 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

I cant agree more. That was real ugly and a head scratcher. I'm dismayed and dont really know what to think. My son was balling at the end of the game and I was just in shock that we managed to squander a 17 pt lead.

Poor guy. Hopefully he wasn’t old enough for those Pelini Wisconsin days. 

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

ALL of that goes to the offensive playcalling.

The line played amazing in the first half when the coaches were setting them up for success and giving Adrian good reads. The defense played amazing for three quarters with really good tackling until they finally broke due to exhaustion and the odds of eventually giving something up because the offense completely disappeared. 

Our ol play in the first was more about what Colorado was doing.  We can pass block, but have absolutely no push for a running game.