What did we learn? (The Rocky Mountain Low Edition)

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

Being ranked goes away too.  Colorado is a bad team and will collapse.  Forget Indy.  All pressure is off.  The team's main focus the rest of the season should be scratching, clawing, doing anything and everything possible short of cheating to get wins.  They need to learn how to fight for wins game by game.

I do think this team is improved over last season and should become bowl eligible, but I think I speak for many Husker fans in hoping for more.  Perhaps they can turn the corner quickly as I do believe they have the talent...but they just need improved coaching and mental toughness.  

23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Traffic on I-80 drives angry after a loss like that.  :blink:

I don't get what we're doing with this scheme. Watching UCF, these coaches had guys running wide open in the secondary a LOT. They are not doing that here - is that because we lack talent, or because they think they need to call games different in the Big Ten?

Our defense is playing a lot better, but a lot of YAC from Colorado came because we were trying to strip the ball rather than make sure tackles.

Our guys got tired in the second half. Both sides of the ball. Duvall had his people in great shape to run, run, run at UCF. Did they add too much bulk to these guys for the Big Ten? Again, seems like a different approach.

I see a lot of people saying Martinez is holding the ball too long. There's some truth to that, but there's an issue with guys simply not being open. Either two defenses in a row know exactly where the first read is and take it away, or there's nowhere to throw the ball to. Or Martinez isn't seeing the field. Something is off, and I don't think it's all on Martinez.

These guys need to stop believing they're Nebraska, and just play humble, hard-working football. I get the impression they're told from recruiting on up that "We are Nebraska," meaning they're going to be that team we remember from 20 years ago. They have to stop thinking that. We are light-years from those teams.

I'd just like to see a Nebraska team that outworks their opponent again. I could care less about stars and ratings. Just work harder than the opponent. 

The hype needs to stop immediately. I'm tired of hearing about how great the practices are. Show me something in a GAME.

This team has not improved. It is worse offensively. It may or may not be better defensively..... giving up 34 points in a quarter and a half isn't really convincing. Frost is not showing me anything so far except that maybe he cares a bit more than Riley. But he's not coaching well.

Honestly, what have we accomplished in the Frost era so far?  So far, nothing.

It's hard to be objective and rational after a loss like this, because I'm really #$%^ing crushed, but my entire outlook on this season has basically been destroyed.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FTW said:

I'd just like to see a Nebraska team that outworks their opponent again. I could care less about stars and ratings. Just work harder than the opponent. 

Agree with the overall sentiment but we need better horses. Not enough difference makers on either side of the ball. Stars and ratings matter. Need to get back to having half our starters on each side getting drafted.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I felt bad for the kicker on the last fg try. “His longest pregame kick was 42 yards.” I could have turned the tv off and known the results. Great punting today though. 

And that's what drives one crazy.... knowing this, you run two plays for zero yards and then take a SACK. 

1 hour ago, huskerfan702 said:

This fan base is extremely fragile. 

Martinez continues to struggle seeing the field. It’s almost as if his WRs beside JD have to be schemed open. 

Oline was was better but still has a LONG way to go. 

Can live and die with the effort from the CB group. 

On the first point: gawd yes.  Reading the game thread things went downhill fast.  Now I know what is meant when a fanbase has a melt down.  And I thought our fans are better than that.

Think I'll also root for Tennessee (in part due to some Vols showing up here), at least while watching BYU now.  I won't get so bent out of shape if they lose and there's a HUGE upside when they beat other SEC teams.  :D   

GBR!

Frost admitted that he didn't want to turn the ball over in OT. Didn't want to risk any bad throws so they tried to call their "best run plays" to get them 3 or 4 yards a carry to set up the tying FG.

That is playing not to lose, IMO and it cost him. Again, this loss is solely on Frost. He basically said everything we said. Defense was gassed late in the game, offense scored on first 3 or 4 possessions of the first half, 2nd half went 0-4. Can't do that.

I think he is still learning as a young head coach and will only get better every week, every season. Now is not the time to give up on the team.

4 minutes ago, central is big red too said:

Not the kicker's fault.  Might have had a chance if we'd gained even 5 yards on the 3 prior plays.

Honestly, that wouldn’t have been good from 30. Obviously different from 37 than 48. Kid tried and made his previous 5 kicks. I figured frost would go for it on 4th and 16.