If that game felt familiar...

Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

Is college football not a regional sport where the talent is concentrated in the South, and 3 teams around the great Lakes?

I disagree with your assessment. We can pull talent from those areas and put together winning football teams that compete for championships and I refuse to settle for the idea we can't do that anymore.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I don't agree. Coaching can overcome some things. I don't this is something we should hold on.

Wasn't that coach after Solich getting good recruiting classes?  I think that shows getting good recruiting isn't the only necessary ingredient at Nebraska.  We definitely need more talent.  Iowa has been putting more players into the NFL, IOWA!  The disappointment with the start to this season and last year's dismal season puts doubt in recruit's minds that Frost can get us back.  I was hoping to at least pull out a 8-4 or 9-3 season to help with recruiting and jump start a resurgence.  It seems like it will be a long process now.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I disagree with your assessment. We can pull talent from those areas and put together winning football teams that compete for championships and I refuse to settle for the idea we can't do that anymore.

I hope you're right. My personal opinion is pulling in talent is going to be too difficult. 

Right now the only saving grace for Nebraska is the division.  It doesn't have all that much talent. 

50 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska fans need to accept that we're Virginia Tech, Iowa St. or Mississippi St. 

The sport is regional.

We can't spend our way out of the issues we have; the players can't lift their way into being as talented as other teams. Unless we find 10-12 4* players a year, this is it.

This is just what Nebraska is now, unfortunately.  And really has been for nearly 20 years.

I don't fully agree with the post  bc I think Nebraska has a high ceiling if they can get it rolling but being honest about the talent assessment is real. Dabo and Saban make dumb calls but it doesn't matter most weeks. They've got multiple 1st round picks to cover them up. I think Scott is smart but he needs a margin for error.

1 hour ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Just revisit 2018 Northwestern.

Husker offense came out and scored 14 out the gates before cooling off and allowing Northwestern to make it a game. 

Huskers held the lead through the 4th quarter but have the ball to NW up 31-24, only needing to keep them out of the end zone. Unfortunately, the Wildcats scored with :12 left to the it 31-31 and force OT.

In OT, Nebraska did nothing with the ball, Martinez had a costly mistake (INT). NW got it, kicked the GW FG, 34-31.

Sound familiar?

Yep, sounds like just about every single heart breaking close Nebraska loss.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I hope you're right. My personal opinion is pulling in talent is going to be too difficult. 

Right now the only saving grace for Nebraska is the division.  It doesn't have all that much talent. 

The skill positions should have waited. Need to rebuild that offensive line. I really wish we could do more power spread concepts but Martinez is not that physically imposing. He gets put on his a$$ and fumbles. Sadly, we're gonna have to deal with an undersized finesse offense built on speed and big plays.

17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It's going to take time to do that. Our brand isn't strong right now. Frost needs to build it back up. Just as an anecdotal example that kid from Olathe, KS went to Clemson Isaiah Simmons. That's a kid we used to get but Clemson is just better than us right now. That's just one kid but it happens more often now.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Jack Burton said:

It's going to take time to do that. Our brand isn't strong right now. Frost needs to build it back up. Just as an anecdotal example that kid from Olathe, KS went to Clemson Isaiah Simmons. That's a kid we used to get but Clemson is just better than us right now. That's just one kid but it happens more often now.

Yes but at the same time we have more talent on paper than anyone in our division. We have more talent than Colorado and we have a hell of alot more talent than USA. Why aren't we playing like we out recruit these teams? Because if we played how we recruited, we would have a strong enough brand to recruit a little better than we do at 4-8. I believe if we recruited at or around top 15 we would have the talent to win championships. If Wisconsin can crank out near championship caliber seasons with what they do in recruiting, we win a conference title and compete for the playoff.

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yes but at the same time we have more talent on paper than anyone in our division. We have more talent than Colorado and we have a hell of alot more talent than USA. Why aren't we playing like we out recruit these teams? Because if we played how we recruited, we would have a strong enough brand to recruit a little better than we do at 4-8. I believe if we recruited at or around top 15 we would have the talent to win championships. If Wisconsin can crank out near championship caliber seasons with what they do in recruiting, we win a conference title and compete for the playoff.

We're 14 games into this thing. You're right on everything else imo. Wisconsin's been running the same scheme more or less for 25 years. Not comparable when just comparing recruiting rankings.

Just now, Jack Burton said:

We're 14 games into this thing. You're right on everything else imo. Wisconsin's been running the same scheme more or less for 25 years. Not comparable when just comparing recruiting rankings.

I understand that and I'm not really talking about it in relation to this game but making a general point. We have had better talent than our opponents but we don't play like it. That goes back to Callahan and Pelini. I'm not saying we are going to up and be Wisconsin this year, but if they can do it so can we is mainly what I'm saying.