If that game felt familiar...

Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

We recruit top 25 classes. I just ask that we put results out that reflect as such currently 

We do. 

But the gap between the top 15 and the rest is insane. It might seem like the team pulling in the #15 class is close to the team ranked #18 (NU last year).

But it's not. Is more than twice as many 4* players. Meanwhile, the gap between #18 and classes in the low 30s is two or three 4* players.

The talent is overwhelmingly concentrated in just a few top teams, and it really adds up over time.

9 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

We recruit top 25 classes. I just ask that we put results out that reflect as such currently 

This is where I'm at. We do not play to our talent level, and that's been consistent over the past ten years, through three different coaching staffs.

It's mental. It's a mindset that Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, heck, even Colorado and Northern Illinois have that we don't.

We break mentally, and we lose. It's not talent.

• Plus1 1
Just now, knapplc said:

This is where I'm at. We do not play to our talent level, and that's been consistent over the past ten years, through three different coaching staffs.

It's mental. It's a mindset that Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, heck, even Colorado and Northern Illinois have that we don't.

Watching the game today at no point did I think wow Colorado is as talented as we are. 

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I understand that and I'm not really talking about it in relation to this game but making a general point. We have had better talent than our opponents but we don't play like it. That goes back to Callahan and Pelini. I'm not saying we are going to up and be Wisconsin this year, but if they can do it so can we is mainly what I'm saying.

We've been flip flopping offensive and defensive philosophies for 20 years now from Solich to Callahan to Pelini to Riley. This may seem like exuses but we haven't recruited at a level to overcome the changes. Frost needs time to build his thing. I think we'll like the results.

The football program hasn't been on the same page with the AD for two decades. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not to quibble but I believe Pelini had us drifting in and out of top 25 both on the field and in recruiting.

6 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

We've been flip flopping offensive and defensive philosophies for 20 years now from Solich to Callahan to Pelini to Riley. This may seem like exuses but we haven't recruited at a level to overcome the changes. Frost needs time to build his thing. I think we'll like the results.

The football program hasn't been on the same page with the AD for two decades. 

I don't really agree with that completely but I think Frost will get us right so arguing is moot. We both agree with proper leadership this program can be a consistent top 15 team that contends for the top every few seasons and thats what I'm trying to say. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

What's the quibble?

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We do not play to our talent level, and that's been consistent over the past ten years, through three different coaching staffs.

What I said kind of contradicts this.  IMO, Pelini had us playing to our recruited talent level. 

I believe our recruiting average is around 25ish.  I also agree with Hedley that we need to at least get up to Pelini like seasons.  Hopefully without the blowouts.

Just now, 4skers89 said:

What I said kind of contradicts this.  IMO, Pelini had us playing to our recruited talent level

I believe our recruiting average is around 25ish.  I also agree with Hedley that we need to at least get up to Pelini like seasons.  Hopefully without the blowouts.

We certainly did not play to our talent level in Pelini's blowout losses. We usually beat weaker teams, and in big games, got crushed.

Recall that Texas last year lost to a mediocre Maryland team and everyone was freaking out. That Texas team beat OU in week 5 I believe and look who we have in week 5, OSU. Frost is the coach that will get us back to relevancy.  I believe we could have a similar bounce back. I don't know if Nebraska can get to a NY6 bowl win but I think you will see the team bounce back and get better.

This game doesn't matter in us making it to Indy but I wanted to win it bad. The season is early and we have plenty of time to get better and better. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

What I said kind of contradicts this.  IMO, Pelini had us playing to our recruited talent level. 

Starting to stray off topic but I have to wonder how Frost's positive reinforcement rebuild vs Pelini's negative reinforcement rebuild will play out. Pelini turned the program immediately but ultimately stalled. Frost has struggled out of the gate and his team's have looked sloppy early on. I think Pelini inherited more talent so it's not apples to apples.

2 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Starting to stray off topic but I have to wonder how Frost's positive reinforcement rebuild vs Pelini's negative reinforcement rebuild will play out. Pelini turned the program immediately but ultimately stalled. Frost has struggled out of the gate and his team's have looked sloppy early on. I think Pelini inherited more talent so it's not apples to apples.

That's a good description of the 2 coach's approach.  Their personalities are totally different and I was hoping that Frost's even temperament would be the antidote to the blowout losses we saw under Pelini and the frequent Bolcano eruptions.  I'm convinced that the Pelini regime became obsessed with achieving the TO 9 win benchmark and unconcerned with blowouts as long as they hit the 9 win mark.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Jack Stark?